Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 08:25 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
It wasn't directed at you, but to the steriotypical image of the 60's and 70's as all tie-died incense burning, burn a draft card, hippiedom. After 30 years, people have memories reinforced by the steriotypes of media. Not to say it wasn't part of a person experience, but it wasn't a part of a majority of peoples experience.

My point was to
1.) Give the OP a more accurate vision of average life in the early 70's - it was listening to Tony Orlando and Dawn and watching the sunday night Wonderful World of Disney TV show.

2.) To regenerate some memories for others, what better way then to show the music we were listening to at the time, since for most everyone (not everyone, but most everyone) their music listening was all "top 40", the most popular music radio format of the day.

and

3.) For the fun of remembering the songs of that time, as crappy as they were.

Ok point taken...you have to admit though it was a mixed bag of tricks back then As far as accurate, except for the War & politics I say it still depends on what side of the fence you were on
Your rendition is no where near mine...but it may just be I was in a large city
I'm sure my rendition would be totally foreign to someone who had resided somewhere in the heartland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 08:29 AM

Sunny...check this link out

Information Please: 1971

Old 01-24-2008, 08:31 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Ok point taken...you have to admit though it was a mixed bag of tricks back then As far as accurate, except for the War & politics I say it still depends on what side of the fence you were on
Your rendition is no where near mine...but it may just be I was in a large city
I'm sure my rendition would be totally foreign to someone who had resided somewhere in the heartland
I would have loved to really have experienced that part of the 60's. Haight- Ashbury and all that, going to Woodstock, etc. Alas I was too young, to middle class suburban, and by the mid 70's when I came of age it was all over. I had to suffer through the "disco-era".

Old 01-24-2008, 08:33 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,676,883 times
Default the fashions!

I remember my mom trying to sew lace into our bikini tops to save our modesty. Also the stack shoes with the little mushrooms on them. The leather handbags and belts that were personalized. Fringing our jeans and shorts by hand, making bead necklaces. Remember the movie Billy Jack? I wanted a pair of the mock-boots that the teacher wore. Sun-in for our hair. Iodine mixed with baby oil for the perfect tan! On the down side the nightly death counts on the war, The changing music towards disco, even though I did eventually have a shiny dress, the slide towards a me mentality, and of course later the loss of Elvis, rest in peace E, TCB.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I would have loved to really have experienced that part of the 60's. Haight- Ashbury and all that, going to Woodstock, etc. Alas I was too young, to middle class suburban, and by the mid 70's when I came of age it was all over. I had to suffer through the "disco-era".

Disco!!! Poor you

Old 01-24-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
I remember my mom trying to sew lace into our bikini tops to save our modesty. Also the stack shoes with the little mushrooms on them. The leather handbags and belts that were personalized. Fringing our jeans and shorts by hand, making bead necklaces. Remember the movie Billy Jack? I wanted a pair of the mock-boots that the teacher wore. Sun-in for our hair. Iodine mixed with baby oil for the perfect tan! On the down side the nightly death counts on the war, The changing music towards disco, even though I did eventually have a shiny dress, the slide towards a me mentality, and of course later the loss of Elvis, rest in peace E, TCB.

Ah yes..Sun In or for the daring...Summer Blonde

Old 01-24-2008, 08:42 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
In the summer of 1971 I was living in a wooden box in a sandy parking lot in Venice, by Los Angeles. After a few weeks of that I decided to spend some time in a commune by Guerneville, California, about 150 miles north of Frisco. The commune was run by two guys named "Garbage Mike" and "Part Of Paul". Lots of young people running around naked, smoking weed and enjoying themselves. Many of the hippies had constructed shacks using salvaged materials from from local demolition sites. Some were very well made, using many windows as walls.
The music was good in that era, because many cities saw the emergence of low power FM stations that played longer cuts from progressive groups. Often the music played for 30 minutes without any interruptions. The commercials were of local sponsors and read (in a calm voice) by the DJ. This style was known as "laid back".
Santana's "Abraxas" LP was very popular, and there was a new English group "King Crimson". Other popular groups were "Derek & the Dominos", "Savoy Brown", "John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers", "Canned Heat", "Quicksilver Messenger Service", and "Spooky Tooth".
I can't remember too may phrases used other than "Far out!". Hey man, that's heavy! Calling each other turkey. Also, black light posters (MC Escher) and water pipes could be bought at any "head shop".
Robert Crumb's comic of Fritz the Cat was well known. But the most hilarious publication was the National Lampoon.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:43 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,676,883 times
Default Bee Gees/Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Disco!!! Poor you
Now we must admit to some advantages of all the guys in tight white pants!

Old 01-24-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
Now we must admit to some advantages of all the guys in tight white pants!
Haha...good one

Old 01-24-2008, 10:51 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Married - 2 kids. Owned our first home. Working. Partying.

Concerned about being drafted for 'Nam. Loved the Beach Boys, Jan and Dean - the whole "Surf" scene. LOVED Disco - wish it were back. Long hair. Polyester suits.

Had a Ford Mustang convertible - wonderful.

Got my pilots license in '71 and bought a plane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History