Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2010, 05:42 PM

182 posts, read 314,407 times

Advertisements

I couldn't be happier, today we have shown the rest of the world that we will not discriminate, we will not go back to our ugliest times in history and we won't take a step backwards anymore. I don't see this law advancing any further, in the future it'll be an embarrassing part of our countrys history and nothing more.

Now I know many of you won't agree but you're entitled to your own opinion as am I. So cheers to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 05:44 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody_1008 View Post
I couldn't be happier, today we have shown the rest of the world that we will not discriminate, we will not go back to our ugliest times in history and we won't take a step backwards anymore. I don't see this law advancing any further, in the future it'll be an embarrassing part of our countrys history and nothing more.

Now I know many of you won't agree but you're entitled to your own opinion as am I. So cheers to that.
Minimalist opinion not backed by facts. I'd be willing to bet that you voted for Obama also, right? It's a warm and fuzzy thing that us conservatives just don't understand, right?

I'm glad you're happy. But liberal ideology just got set back at least a decade. The Obama Administration is now on record having successfully defied the will of 61% of Americans.

The end is near for this Administration. Are you still happy?

Old 07-28-2010, 05:56 PM

589 posts, read 756,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
This whole system is f-ed up. never is law enforcement going to be able to catch every illegal alien here and deport them, never. And even when they do people just come back across so it's just a waste of time and money.
And I am really tired of hearing people blame Obama and his administration for the whole immigration problem, this has been well in the works for years now-when Bush was president!
And another thing is, illegals who have kids here that were born here ( anchor babies-as so many heartless people call them, I call them US ciitizens) what is going to happen to them if parents get deported? More kids on state assistance, in foster homes etc. guess who will pay for that?
I think the bast thing to do is:
1.Give people amnesty who can prove they have been here for a certain length of time and have committed no crimes and work
2.Deport all criminals and anyone caught committing crimes (not traffic tickets) (criminals don't need to be here--and us much less supporting them in jail)
3. make all those that get to stay pay a large 1 time fee and commit to 2 years in the military (at least)
4. Shut down the border-make it impenetrable! (until its shut people will just keep coming back)
5. Legalize marijuana 9that would solve a lot of crime issues and make us money)
I know lots of people hate these ideas but you know what- we need to be realistic, and a little compassionate. Hating illegal people here that are criminals is one thing, but is there no one who understands where these people come from? when someone is desperate to survive and risk death to come here we should have a little compassion. We don't choose where we are born, after all. But we need to have some common sense in dealing with these issues too.

Children of illegals get deported along with they're parents. The term anchor baby is generally used because that child can sponsor his/her parents when they turn 18 to become citizens. They can also sponsor relatives who dont even live in the US to become citizens...So the term anchor baby, while not nice, does have truth to it and that loophole in our citizenship laws is abused [not by all illegals, but by many].

As far as amnesty goes...We did it once before and gave citizenship to 9 million illegal aliens in 1986. It was promised to be the first and last amnesty. Now there is a cry to give another amnesty, this time to 20-30 million illegals ? No way. Its obvious that in another 20 years we would be in the same situation that we are in today, since the Government refuses to enforce immigration laws and guard the border.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:57 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,607,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Minimalist opinion not backed by facts. I'd be willing to bet that you voted for Obama also, right? It's a warm and fuzzy thing that us conservatives just don't understand, right?

I'm glad you're happy. But liberal ideology just got set back at least a decade. The Obama Administration is now on record having successfully defied the will of 61% of Americans.

The end is near for this Administration. Are you still happy?
Sorry to let you know that if Arizona had constructed this law during George Bush's term the result would have been the same because what we have is a state trying to circumvent the constitution and take over a federal power. Bush would have sued and the court would have sided with the Feds.

Save your breath, I know the feds are doing a poor job at enforcing the laws but point being is that it is still their right. History already determines that the Supreme court will side with the Feds.

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody_1008 View Post

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you don't make enough to pay taxes? No kids in school, have never needed to use the ER? Drive? Never been in a collsion with someone without a license or registration? Do you work? You must be wealthy then? Poor compete with Illegals.

Yes, this ruling if it holds is going to nudge us to a 3rd World status. I'm not going to party over that.

3,948 posts, read 4,306,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
This is great great news!!! I am very proud of this judge! We need to let the conservatives and bigots know that they don't run things anymore. The Mexicans are here to stay and the old white tea party types need to get used to that. Arizona was stolen from Mexico to start with and the Mexicans have every right to be there.
I'm not a bigot. Also, the ruling in Arizona doesn't just affect Arizona. It affects THE WHOLE US, all of which was not all owned by Mexico at one point.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
You cannot take it back because it was not yours to begin with. You took it from the Indians and the Mexicans.
The whole US (in which illegal immigrants live in) once belonged to undocumented Mexicans?

Old 07-28-2010, 06:05 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times
Because the state cannot have exactly the same laws that the feds have; i.e. the part about Arizona making not carrying papers a state crime was nulled because states cannot have the same penalty that the feds have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinpretty View Post
I am for this bill and I am called "prejudice" and name calling to me. There are so many issues here. First of all, if this bill mimicked Federal Law, yet a Federal Court Judge, ruled most of this bill is unconstituitional? Wouldn't that make the Federal Law unconstitutional?

Old 07-28-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Because the pressure is really on now and there is no logical reason to not secure the border.
No, they will just come up with more excuses.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:10 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Sorry to let you know that if Arizona had constructed this law during George Bush's term the result would have been the same because what we have is a state trying to circumvent the constitution and take over a federal power. Bush would have sued and the court would have sided with the Feds.

Save your breath, I know the feds are doing a poor job at enforcing the laws but point being is that it is still their right. History already determines that the Supreme court will side with the Feds.
The Obama Administration made it a point to object. Other lawsuits could have achieved the same result. Since the Obama Administration challenged the law, the message is that this Government supports illegals, not the will of the American people. Reserved powers are irrelevant to the voter. All the voter sees is that this Administration is using legal power to preserve political good will. 61% of people is not a fickle number to be screwing with.

You don't see the difference do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration