Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 11:28 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

It's interesting you don't see people from India for example trying to use some new racial category to obtain government programs and assistance. They learn English without a problem, they don't have any thing like a group called La Raza (The Race), they don't look at their skin tone after arriving here, and they are among the more successful immigrants.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:54 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Sorry but it is in the title. If you don't know what it is...how do you discuss it intelligently...

Ahhh of course...
He knows what it is. He injects his deflection nonsense into every thread. But then, I’m sure you already know exactly what he’s doing.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:09 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
He knows what it is. He injects his deflection nonsense into every thread. But then, I’m sure you already know exactly what he’s doing.
It is an interesting point though. It is clear that those of Mexican descent would much prefer to use Mexicano or Mexican American. If you asked them about "illegal immigrants" you will get one answer. If you ask them about undocumented Mexicans I suspect you may get a vastly different answer.

When it come to the great unwashed they have one view...but if you get it down to a campesino from grandmas town you may get a very different one.

That is the great screw up. You have to figure out how you pry the campesino from his relatives protection. They provide a living place, basic sustenance and often a job...which may well be quite undetectable.

I don't think it can be done. Certainly not without huge social dislocation. Hence we need some disposition of those involved and maybe some more before we try and close the gates.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
It is an interesting point though. It is clear that those of Mexican descent would much prefer to use Mexicano or Mexican American. If you asked them about "illegal immigrants" you will get one answer. If you ask them about undocumented Mexicans I suspect you may get a vastly different answer.

When it come to the great unwashed they have one view...but if you get it down to a campesino from grandmas town you may get a very different one.

That is the great screw up. You have to figure out how you pry the campesino from his relatives protection. They provide a living place, basic sustenance and often a job...which may well be quite undetectable.

I don't think it can be done. Certainly not without huge social dislocation. Hence we need some disposition of those involved and maybe some more before we try and close the gates.
So-called Hispanic advocacy groups such as La Raza, not only conflate legal with illegal immigration, they also consider the Spanish-speaking demographic to be exclusively Hispanic/Latino, regardless of country of origin. Even they refuse to make a distinction. I suspect, because it suits their agenda.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:41 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
Time to start ignoring the attemped derailments/deflections and just address thread topics I think.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
So-called Hispanic advocacy groups such as La Raza, not only conflate legal with illegal immigration, they also consider the Spanish-speaking demographic to be exclusively Hispanic/Latino, regardless of country of origin. Even they refuse to make a distinction. I suspect, because it suits their agenda.
Been my experience that "la raza" and such are right wing strawmen. Like ACORN. None have any significant impact either politically or economically but they give the right talking points. something picked randomly for demonization so the right does not have to deal with reality.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Been my experience that "la raza" and such are right wing strawmen. Like ACORN. None have any significant impact either politically or economically but they give the right talking points. something picked randomly for demonization so the right does not have to deal with reality.
They are illegal alien peddlers/profiteers. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Time to start ignoring the attemped derailments/deflections and just address thread topics I think.
I couldn't agree more.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
They are illegal alien peddlers/profiteers. Nothing more, nothing less.
Improbable. they have little orientation toward illegals. More native born and legals.

Did you ever read any of their stuff? They have a page you probably ought to read...deals with the garbage the right spreads about them.

National Council of La Raza | The Truth About NCLR.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:22 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hideandseekforever View Post
I can't help that the US has politicians who purposely create groups out of thin air with the intent to give them goodies for votes. But to antagonize people of that group who never had anything to do with it is WRONG. Sorry.
And by the way, I stopped checking off "Hispanic" long ago. When I DONT check it off, guess what category is picked for me? "Caucasian." My white Spaniard mother and her side of the family would count. Doubt the white people who sneer at me merely for existing and breathing would allow good ol' tanned skin me to count, however.
Sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder to me.

I also said we have no control over what groups our government gives AA to. I never said you took advantage of it either as I don't even know you. I don't see the antagonization in my statements.

Actually your white Spaniard mother would be white racially but she would be Hispanic culturally. I never understood why there is a catagory of Hispanic on the census anyway as it is a culture and not a race. Yet all the other choices are race. All I can think of was it was created to grant another minority group AA. I could be wrong but I really don't care about it anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration