Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 03:35 PM

804 posts, read 1,360,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
"Underskilled"?
Correct, where I study most people can speak more than one language ( tons of Spanish, Hindi, and other Asian languages) and the people who only speak English are trying to learn something else. Even though most of these people are grad students in engineering/science areas who are generally hired for their technical skills, they understand that only being able to communicate in one language puts them at a disadvantage against their peers.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:58 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Correct, where I study most people can speak more than one language ( tons of Spanish, Hindi, and other Asian languages) and the people who only speak English are trying to learn something else. Even though most of these people are grad students in engineering/science areas who are generally hired for their technical skills, they understand that only being able to communicate in one language puts them at a disadvantage against their peers.
The USA actually became the wealthiest nation in the world back when it was an English speaking country and others criticized Americans for not having 6 or 7 languages and a couple hundred dialects.

Today kids are learning only Spanish in schools and failing in math and science and we are on the decline. A good chunk of the college graduates today are functionally illiterate in not only English but all the other languages they're being told to learn.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:14 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Here in the U.S. there is no reason to know another language other than English. The only benefit knowing another language would be if you have a job dealing with foreign countries (even at that the language of commerce is English) or you are in the tourist industry. Given the option most Americans are better off just getting a better education or learning a trade rather than learning another language.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:21 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The USA actually became the wealthiest nation in the world back when it was an English speaking country and others criticized Americans for not having 6 or 7 languages and a couple hundred dialects.

Today kids are learning only Spanish in schools and failing in math and science and we are on the decline. A good chunk of the college graduates today are functionally illiterate in not only English but all the other languages they're being told to learn.
Yup. I am living proof that knowing a second language does not guarantee you a job. I speak 2 languages in addition to English and I can read 2 more. The doors aren't opening up for me. I have training in Military Intelligence, computers etc...

So according to some folks here I should have a great job by now! BS.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:31 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
What people call Spanish from Mexico aint. Its Spanglish. Castilion from Spain IS beautiful. And I dont like to say this but to many American Chicanos like me DO sound like we just came to the USA cause our English aint that good.
My New Yorican relatives have an awful Spanglish accent, so I know what you're talking about my Spanish accent used to be thick like engine oil but I got rid of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Yup. I am living proof that knowing a second language does not guarantee you a job. I speak 2 languages in addition to English and I can read 2 more. The doors aren't opening up for me. I have training in Military Intelligence, computers etc...

So according to some folks here I should have a great job by now! BS.
Same here. The truth is, bilingualism never was, and never will be, a high in demand skill. If that was the case, unemployment amongst Hispanics would be extremely low

Old 04-24-2011, 04:54 PM

804 posts, read 1,360,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Here in the U.S. there is no reason to know another language other than English. The only benefit knowing another language would be if you have a job dealing with foreign countries (even at that the language of commerce is English) or you are in the tourist industry. Given the option most Americans are better off just getting a better education or learning a trade rather than learning another language.
Then, why do you see people complaining, even on this forum, that they have been passed over / replaced by an individual who could speak another language.

Also, most of the big companies in the U.S. are multinational. When I used to work for one of them, my ascension though the corporate ladder (before I left for grad school ) was very much helped by the fact that I could speak English and Spanish, and could communicate (with great difficulty, but still able) in Portuguese and Italian. And I worked in a very technical field, where most people were able to speak English. I agree with you that people should be getting a better education or learning a new trade ( specially if their current one is not in high demand ) but I do not think that doing this and learning a new language are mutually exclusive.

Malamule, one can learn new languages while still improving literacy in our own. I looked for some data and found The Literacy of America's College Students | American Institutes for Research if you look at Figure 2.1. Average prose, document, and quantitative literacy scores of U.S. adults in college and the nation it is evident that the level of literacy increases with college education as common sense would predict. I was also able to find a link stating that literacy from graduating students right now it's about the same as the previous generation, but I do not have the link with me. I was not able to find any information on how learning a second language affects literacy on and individual's mother tongue. If you do, please do provide a link.

I agree with you in that kids, no matter their background, should be learning only Spanish. I have a young brother. Since he was born we spoke to him almost exclusively in Spanish. At age of 3, we signed him up for school and he picked up English almost instantly. And, now he is able to speak in both languages with no problem. His reading/writting level is well above his grade, with no detriment to other subjects. We decided to talk to him in Spanish only due to the experience that my parents had with my middle brother, he came to the U.S. around middle school and was able to pick up English quite readily. And for his language classes he picked French as was able to do quite well in it.

KickAssArmyChick, I'm sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time finding a job. And I agree with you that by no means being able to speak in multiple languages guarantees that you will be able to get a good job. But I do think that it gives you an advantage over other individuals who don't, and have similar skills as you do. From what I have seen from my friends is that an important factor of finding a job, specially with computer related skills, is mobility. They have found really good jobs, in physical locations where they never imagined they were willing to move to.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Then, why do you see people complaining, even on this forum, that they have been passed over / replaced by an individual who could speak another language.

Also, most of the big companies in the U.S. are multinational. When I used to work for one of them, my ascension though the corporate ladder (before I left for grad school ) was very much helped by the fact that I could speak English and Spanish, and could communicate (with great difficulty, but still able) in Portuguese and Italian. And I worked in a very technical field, where most people were able to speak English. I agree with you that people should be getting a better education or learning a new trade ( specially if their current one is not in high demand ) but I do not think that doing this and learning a new language are mutually exclusive.

Malamule, one can learn new languages while still improving literacy in our own. I looked for some data and found The Literacy of America's College Students | American Institutes for Research if you look at Figure 2.1. Average prose, document, and quantitative literacy scores of U.S. adults in college and the nation it is evident that the level of literacy increases with college education as common sense would predict. I was also able to find a link stating that literacy from graduating students right now it's about the same as the previous generation, but I do not have the link with me. I was not able to find any information on how learning a second language affects literacy on and individual's mother tongue. If you do, please do provide a link.

I agree with you in that kids, no matter their background, should be learning only Spanish. I have a young brother. Since he was born we spoke to him almost exclusively in Spanish. At age of 3, we signed him up for school and he picked up English almost instantly. And, now he is able to speak in both languages with no problem. His reading/writting level is well above his grade, with no detriment to other subjects. We decided to talk to him in Spanish only due to the experience that my parents had with my middle brother, he came to the U.S. around middle school and was able to pick up English quite readily. And for his language classes he picked French as was able to do quite well in it.

KickAssArmyChick, I'm sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time finding a job. And I agree with you that by no means being able to speak in multiple languages guarantees that you will be able to get a good job. But I do think that it gives you an advantage over other individuals who don't, and have similar skills as you do. From what I have seen from my friends is that an important factor of finding a job, specially with computer related skills, is mobility. They have found really good jobs, in physical locations where they never imagined they were willing to move to.
It is only Spanish that is in demand in this country to get a job and that is because businesses are catering to illegal aliens in their langauge. Americans shouldn't have to learn the language of an ethnic group illegally invading their country to get a job in their own country.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:13 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
We should just cede back California back to Mexico. This is becoming crazy.

Why would I want to learn the language of my gardener?

Old 04-24-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post

Even though I live in Calif. I have to agree with you. It is getting to be more and more like Mexico everyday anyway. I feel like a stranger in my own state.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:50 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,491,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post

I hope that dont happen. Although it would kill Mexico cause Cali is richer than it. With Obama Im scared and very mad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.