Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 07:12 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Here in the U.S. there is no reason to know another language other than English. The only benefit knowing another language would be if you have a job dealing with foreign countries (even at that the language of commerce is English) or you are in the tourist industry. Given the option most Americans are better off just getting a better education or learning a trade rather than learning another language.
What's funny is that I don't consider myself "bilingual" but I studied in Mexico and learned Spanish well enough to get around and read it and understand it.

I see "bilingual" Mexicans all the time talking about their "trocas", or getting "las breicas" on their "trocas" fixed. Or I pass by signs on cars that say "sebende" on them. These people are even worse off in English. Their SAT scores are horrendous -- so so much for all that bilinguism helping them. In fact many cannot get a single sentence out in either language. It's "da me la pencil" or "esta working". They cannot read written procedures because they're missing significant understanding of English grammar, and of course their vocabulary in both languages is very low.

And all you have to do is compare the Spanish comments in US newspapers with those in Mexico's newspapers -- very big differences. People in Mexico don't leave off the h's on words and they aren't nearly as stuck on the "ching..." base word for everything. Like one guy from Mexico City who was here for a while said "If this is how they're going to speak Spanish, then they should just forget it and try to learn some English."

Old 04-24-2011, 08:34 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,491,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
What's funny is that I don't consider myself "bilingual" but I studied in Mexico and learned Spanish well enough to get around and read it and understand it.

I see "bilingual" Mexicans all the time talking about their "trocas", or getting "las breicas" on their "trocas" fixed. Or I pass by signs on cars that say "sebende" on them. These people are even worse off in English. Their SAT scores are horrendous -- so so much for all that bilinguism helping them. In fact many cannot get a single sentence out in either language. It's "da me la pencil" or "esta working". They cannot read written procedures because they're missing significant understanding of English grammar, and of course their vocabulary in both languages is very low.

And all you have to do is compare the Spanish comments in US newspapers with those in Mexico's newspapers -- very big differences. People in Mexico don't leave off the h's on words and they aren't nearly as stuck on the "ching..." base word for everything. Like one guy from Mexico City who was here for a while said "If this is how they're going to speak Spanish, then they should just forget it and try to learn some English."
Yeppers.

Bad English helps more than bad Spanish.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:09 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venezuelan View Post
People worldwide take english classes at the secondary school level and also at the university level. People worldwide want to be bilingual and 3,4 lingual.

You should not bash the author of that article just because you want to be an underskilled monolingual.

Sad sad sad.
Underskilled monolingual? First of all, you do not know me so it is rather stupid and pompous to make such an uninformed assumption.

If you want to start talking about "underskilled monolingual" people, how about we start with all those illegals who mow lawns, vendor food from little push carts without permits, the uneducated who hang out in front of Home Depot, or those who have been happily living off welfare from the moment they jumped the border, the majority of whom DO NOT KNOW ENGLISH!

I've actually had to learn to read, write and speak another language while living in the UK. Of course, you probably have the mistaken belief that the people in the UK speak the same English we do. WRONG! Geordie is actually a distinct language separate from that which is spoken throughout the rest of the country, and is in fact the oldest living early English language from the time of the Anglo-Saxons.

"Today the only part of England where the original Anglo-Saxon language has survived to any great extent is of course the North East. Here the old language survives in a number of varieties, the most notable of which are Northumbrian and Geordie. It is from the ancient Germanic and Scandinavian language of the Angles that the unique local dialects of Northumberland and Durham primarily owe their origins."
I speak and understand it fluently. However, if my husband (a native Geordie) or I were to speak pure "Geordie" to you, you wouldn't have idea of what we were saying.

So, no, I am not only NOT monolingual, I also had enough RESPECT for the native population of where I lived to learn and understand THEIR language. I also know enough Scottish to get me by when visiting the South and South West coast area of Scotland.

Dyer hev owt else sackless te syah?

Old 04-24-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
What people call Spanish from Mexico aint. Its Spanglish. Castilion from Spain IS beautiful. And I dont like to say this but to many American Chicanos like me DO sound like we just came to the USA cause our English aint that good.
Your English seems pretty good to me We don't expect your spoken English to be perfect. The fact that you make the effort is a BIG plus

Old 04-24-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Then, why do you see people complaining, even on this forum, that they have been passed over / replaced by an individual who could speak another language.
Because many of the supervisory and managerial level jobs available in CA require one to know Spanish in order to give direction to the illegal immigrant, non-English speaking employees. I specify illegals because generally those who were born here or immigrated legally know enough English to get by in the work force.

I have strong managerial training and skills and the ONE thing that keeps disqualifying me is the fact that I don't speak Spanish. Sorry, but at 48 years old I shouldn't to go back to school to learn a foreign language in order to be employable in my own country.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:20 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Because many of the supervisory and managerial level jobs available in CA require one to know Spanish in order to give direction to the illegal immigrant, non-English speaking employees. I specify illegals because generally those who were born here or immigrated legally know enough English to get by in the work force.

I have strong managerial training and skills and the ONE thing that keeps disqualifying me is the fact that I don't speak Spanish. Sorry, but at 48 years old I shouldn't to go back to school to learn a foreign language in order to be employable in my own country.
Might I also suggest that you keep the fluffy bunny references to a minimum?

Old 04-24-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Might I also suggest that you keep the fluffy bunny references to a minimum?
My fluffy bunny side is private, LOL!

Old 04-25-2011, 07:27 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Your English seems pretty good to me We don't expect your spoken English to be perfect. The fact that you make the effort is a BIG plus
Exactly! Making the effort is what counts. I have no problem with English being spoken with an accent either.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:43 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
They should go back to their country if they want to speak Spanish. English is our language. Learn it or go back.

They discriminate against themselves.

We have one flag & one language. If you come here assimilate to us. Not us to you.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:08 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I think you are missing the point. The problem here is not that the OP wants to be monolingual.

I understand people in other countries study English and whatnot. They do it by choice. In this country we are being forced to change our way of life. Can't get certain jobs if you don't speak Spanish. Hell I couldn't get a job as a supervisor for a cleaning company because the employees did not speak English. So basically if you don't learn Spanish your options are limited.

Do you press 2 for English in Venezuela? I sure didn't press 2 for English when I lived in Brazil.
By what means is this "force" happening? The decision to have bilingual education in the class, is that of the state and the school district...both elected bodies. If anyone is opposed to bi-lingual education, they have the right to run for school board trustee or state legislator...or back like minded candidates.

"Forced" is a bogus term...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration