Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 04:00 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,875,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
As we are not hypocrites, we support law enforcement utilizing their limited resources on enforcing crimes that are harmful. Not harmless crimes such as jaywalking when no cars are around or immigrating into a country to find work without documentation.
The decision of millions of low skilled immigrants to sneak in here is indeed harmful for most Americans. They impose huge costs on us. They don't pay much in taxes. They lower wages for our own low skilled laborers. They reduce adherence to the principle of following reasonable laws. They increase the number of kids in our classrooms. They use medical services without paying for them.

We have twenty million unemployed Americans. We do not need to allow Latin America's excess population to come here and make that situation worse.

Everyone gets a country. Let them fix up theirs instead of coming here.

BTW, I have news for you: go look up the waves of immigration. The doors were repeatedly opened and then shut. They've been open since 1965. They need to be shut again so we can integrate new immigrants into our society. If illegals don't like that policy that's just too bad.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:02 PM

192 posts, read 115,685 times
You might want to look at the history of immigration laws, too. This country was founded on open immigration. The doors were shut for overtly racist reasons.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:10 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,875,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWookie47 View Post
You might want to look at the history of immigration laws, too. This country was founded on open immigration. The doors were shut for overtly racist reasons.
I know the history of immigration laws.

I know that for much of time people moving here were expected to support themselves, learn English and respect this country. I know that if they didn't they were firmly told to leave.

I fail to see why such laws should be any different today. The majority of my ancestors came here between 1880 and 1920. That was well before the New Deal.

It's really quite simple.

If you want to move here voluntarily then follow a few simple rules. Move here legally. Learn English. Don't use social services. You want a better life for yourself? Well congratulations. So do all human beings. My better life does not include paying more in taxes to support the needs of high school drop outs from Mexico nor does it including learning Spanish because they refuse to learn English.

Crying racism when someone argues in favor of their own self interest instead of that of Latin American nationals is a very poor argument. Laws that state you should not come here unless you have skills and will not be a burden are not racist. I am sick of hearing from people who want to increase my taxes so they can make themselves feel better and turn criminals into saints just because they are from a specific ethnic group.

You want them? You want low skilled people who don't speak English and pay little in taxes. Go ahead. YOU support them. I don't want to.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:19 PM

951 posts, read 746,386 times
And it's like a broken record. Provide some citations for these claims of raping and stuff. Most forums would ban you for making questionably racist/xenophobic claims and not providing proof of them. This forum adheres to another standard though. Pics, fyp's and arguments with actually thought out arguments are "trolling" here I see.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:26 PM
pvn

103 posts, read 55,232 times
I still want to know about where all these demands to learn spanish are coming from. Where do you guys live, exactly? I spend a lot of time out in the community and I can't think of a single instance where someone even strongly suggested I speak spanish. I mean I did have to press one for english on the ATM yesterday but it didn't seem like that big of a deal.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:53 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,492,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
I know the history of immigration laws.

I know that for much of time people moving here were expected to support themselves, learn English and respect this country. I know that if they didn't they were firmly told to leave.

I fail to see why such laws should be any different today. The majority of my ancestors came here between 1880 and 1920. That was well before the New Deal.

It's really quite simple.

If you want to move here voluntarily then follow a few simple rules. Move here legally. Learn English. Don't use social services. You want a better life for yourself? Well congratulations. So do all human beings. My better life does not include paying more in taxes to support the needs of high school drop outs from Mexico nor does it including learning Spanish because they refuse to learn English.

Crying racism when someone argues in favor of their own self interest instead of that of Latin American nationals is a very poor argument. Laws that state you should not come here unless you have skills and will not be a burden are not racist. I am sick of hearing from people who want to increase my taxes so they can make themselves feel better and turn criminals into saints just because they are from a specific ethnic group.

You want them? You want low skilled people who don't speak English and pay little in taxes. Go ahead. YOU support them. I don't want to.
Im Chicano and DONT want illegal campesinos here.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:45 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,335,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
So if a bunch of politicians in DC decide to pass a law making it illegal to read certain books, like, for example, Huckleberry Finn, THAT makes your choice of reading material "their business"?

"It's our business because we say it is" is just a circular argument.

I don't really believe that but that's the logical conclusion of people who whine about Americans not being able to get jobs because someone else will do the same job cheaper.
Spin, spin, spin. Not just "someone" as in an American who has a right to work here but an illegal alien who doesn't have that right. These kind of anti-American comments make me want to puke.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Supposed to? If there are gaps in the labor market, laborers will be likely to come. If there are gaps in high tech industries, workers in those industries in other countries will be more likely to meet that demand.

There is a fundamental misunderstanding about the nature of economics when people say that the amount of labor competition is simply too much. Structural unemployment is indeed a problem, but when there are zero jobs for illegal immigrants, they WILL stop coming.
That will only happen if the employers are held accountable for hiring cheap, illegal labor. There are literally zero jobs for illegal aliens, just employers willing to cheat the system for more profit.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:48 PM

192 posts, read 115,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Spin, spin, spin. Not just "someone" as in an American who has a right to work here but an illegal alien who doesn't have that right. These kind of anti-American comments make me want to puke.
You're, of course, ignoring the fact that for a century and a half or so, everyone outside America did have this right. The government then took it away.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
Why don't YOU stay home? I have decided the "correct" number of people we need and sorry, but we don't need you. Just stay home.

Problem?
Now you are just being insolent and showing your anti-American views. Not that you haven't already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration