Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 08:04 PM

403 posts, read 334,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Also, why should a 50 year old American auto worker have to learn another language when he isn't working in the tourist industry or dealing with foreign companies? Even at that the language of commerce is English.
It's a conception called globalization. It frightens you, I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 08:16 PM

403 posts, read 334,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think extremely few illegals pay their hospital bills and don't take Medicaid, food stamps and WIC when they have children here.

That's much of the problem, those who come illegally because they could never be sponsored with a work visa, usually accept the kinds of jobs that don't pay so well -- unless they commit felony document fraud and ID theft. Those who are paid in cash under the table don't go out and get themselves into a health insurance plan and they pretty much expect the taxpayer to pick up the tab for their health care.
Very few? Well, that's cool. We can obviously disagree on the percentages, but would you be willing to give amnesty to a person that came over here illegally, but they pay their way?

Old 07-14-2011, 08:20 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian Ideals View Post
Very few? Well, that's cool. We can obviously disagree on the percentages, but would you be willing to give amnesty to a person that came over here illegally, but they pay their way?
No amnesty but I think that person would have a good chance to find an employer work sponsor and get in line to come here legally.

Chances are some of these people have learned some English, have some education and can apply to jobs that provide them work visas -- many because of being here illegally, have a better chance than someone who really wants to come here but has stayed in their own country. That's not fair but probably preference should be given to those with the ability to speak the language, be hireable, and able to assimilate.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:23 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
It's a conception called globalization. It frightens you, I know.
Globalization is not a new phenomenon. It’s been a reality for many years. However, the current Spanish language job requirements in this country aren’t related to globalization. They are the result of massive illegal immigration from Mexico and other Spanish-speaking countries.

So, tell me why a U.S. corporation, located in the U.S., serving U.S. citizens, would require an applicant for a management position, who will have no dealings with foreign nations, to be fluent in Spanish, if not, to communicate with their Spanish-speaking illegal alien workforce.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:46 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,211,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Globalization is not a new phenomenon. It’s been a reality for many years. However, the current Spanish language job requirements in this country aren’t related to globalization.
lolololol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
So, tell me why a U.S. corporation, located in the U.S., serving U.S. citizens, would require an applicant for a management position, who will have no dealings with foreign nations, to be fluent in Spanish, if not, to communicate with their Spanish-speaking illegal alien workforce.
Spanish-speaking clients? Legal workers who speak Spanish?

Old 07-14-2011, 09:15 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Perhaps when you come back you could provide a link to your assertions. Be sure and include the welfare that illegals get for their anchors also.
No, I am not going to provide links. I think we all know that there are indeed Americans who milk the system, too, even though they COULD work. My sister had a friend like that...five children from three different men, one of whom was a biker who gave her herpes. She raised all of her kids on the welfare system even though she was more than capable of holding down a job. Another good example of someone who used the system beyond reason...my own daughter, much to my shame. She and her husband have used it as their back-up plan whenever they've grown tired of their jobs, which is quite frequently. Why she does this I don't know, since she was raised better than this. But there ya go.

But this is off topic. I merely wished to know what rules or criteria people would find acceptable IF we were forced to accept amnesty. I didn't say that I fully supported it, nor did I say I was fully against it. I was just curious as to what types of intelligent, thought provoking responses would be brought forth. I didn't set this up as a thread to argue about WHY anyone was for or against amnesty, just what they would consider fair criteria if it became reality.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
In a recession we could possibly be looking at another civil war. We are talking about millions of people in the past and even more in the future. I don't think any politician is stupid enough to ride that one all the way through.
You could very well be right. I've heard many people throwing around the possibility of a future civil war.

Please see my post previous to this one

Old 07-14-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Good luck with that collar bone, I've broken both mine as well as a multitude of other bones and collar bones were the worst. :-/
Fortunately it is only very severe impingement syndrome, or...extreme tendonitis. Hurts like hell, though! Doc gave me a triple shot together to loosen it up, with cortisone, novacaine and some other type of super cortisone, which she joyful stuck me with three times, plus seven spot shots of novacaine. Feeling MUCH better now!

Old 07-14-2011, 09:29 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
lolololol.

Spanish-speaking clients? Legal workers who speak Spanish?
Right.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:30 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
No, I am not going to provide links. I think we all know that there are indeed Americans who milk the system, too, even though they COULD work. My sister had a friend like that...five children from three different men, one of whom was a biker who gave her herpes. She raised all of her kids on the welfare system even though she was more than capable of holding down a job. Another good example of someone who used the system beyond reason...my own daughter, much to my shame. She and her husband have used it as their back-up plan whenever they've grown tired of their jobs, which is quite frequently. Why she does this I don't know, since she was raised better than this. But there ya go.

But this is off topic. I merely wished to know what rules or criteria people would find acceptable IF we were forced to accept amnesty. I didn't say that I fully supported it, nor did I say I was fully against it. I was just curious as to what types of intelligent, thought provoking responses would be brought forth. I didn't set this up as a thread to argue about WHY anyone was for or against amnesty, just what they would consider fair criteria if it became reality.
Still lazy people aren't a good excuse to bring in illegals just so these people can decide never to work.

Welfare kinds of programs should be curtailed, not given to any of the able bodied and the criteria for not-abled needs to be tightened.

But it's true that now and then you see an illegal who does have a good work ethic.

In fact I think cutting back on illegals will motivate more employers to provide work visas. They cost the employer and the employer has to pay fair wages and benefits, but not only that, the immigrant no longer would have to pay a smuggler or come over in a dangerous manner, they could come over legally on a bus or plane.

Why provide work visas though when you have to pay legal wages and it's so much cheaper to just bring in truckloads of illegals?

Whatever labor shortages can be filled by legal guest workers and immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration