Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 01:28 PM

1,511 posts, read 978,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Are you orignially from Sweden or Ireland, or were you born here? See my family is from Germany and Ireland, but I am not, USA is my home so I have no where to go back too. People want to better themselves, great come legally, otherwise stay home and fix your own country. Illegals spit on my ancestors and what they went through everyday with their demands, they also spit on the people waiting in line trying to do it right. Complete lack of respect is all I see.
well if this is my country purely because i was born here, then i guess anchor babies have just as much right to citizenship. crossing a border illegally is no worse than sailing here and suppressing the native population. i know, i know, it's in the past... but that doesnt change the idea behind the action itself. proper perspective would dictate that, but it seems a lot of people here would choose to ignore perspective and see things the way that benefits themselves the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
GHOST, I think the majority of the people here, and I may be wrong, are talking about people here illegally. And I agree that every good parent would want what is best for their children but to do it illegally?? Why not do this in a legal fashion...isn't that what is best for the children? I think Nea1 has said it very well.
all it takes is one generation to do it illegally, and the resulting anchor baby citizenship will make all future generations as legal as you or i. as to why they dont do it legally, i would guess it has something to do with the time it takes to process an application combined with the costs and fees associated. a very difficult burden when you are living in poverty and are trying to break free of it.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
In case you don't know, if you are an American citizen, this is your country. And don't take things out of context.
again, using your logic, this is the anchor babies' country as well. and when they have kids, they'll be citizen kids of citizen parents, same as you or me. it only takes one generation to come here "illegally" (just like way back in the past for you or me) to justify the legality of future generations.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:37 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,675,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
well if this is my country purely because i was born here, then i guess anchor babies have just as much right to citizenship. crossing a border illegally is no worse than sailing here and suppressing the native population. i know, i know, it's in the past... but that doesnt change the idea behind the action itself. proper perspective would dictate that, but it seems a lot of people here would choose to ignore perspective and see things the way that benefits themselves the most.
No it is your country if your parents were citizens and you were born here. This anchor baby law leads too many to come here just to drop out a kid. And My family did not suppress anyone, they were not here yet.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:39 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,679,904 times
Quote:
again, using your logic, this is the anchor babies' country as well. and when they have kids, they'll be citizen kids of citizen parents, same as you or me. it only takes one generation to come here "illegally" (just like way back in the past for you or me) to justify the legality of future generations.
Well, now that Bush has made another appointment to the SCOTUS maybe they will address that very issue. The 14TH amendment was never intended to give away citizenship to foreigners who happened to be born here. It was passed to protect the rights of black citizens after the Dred Scott decision.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
No it is your country if your parents were citizens and you were born here. This anchor baby law leads too many to come here just to drop out a kid. And My family did not suppress anyone, they were not here yet.
so wait until the anchor babies have kids. then theyll all be as legit as you and me.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:51 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,675,600 times
Quote:
so wait until the anchor babies have kids. then theyll all be as legit as you and me.
Not if we can put a stop to it.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
Well, now that Bush has made another appointment to the SCOTUS maybe they will address that very issue. The 14TH amendment was never intended to give away citizenship to foreigners who happened to be born here. It was passed to protect the rights of black citizens after the Dred Scott decision.
if it wasnt a problem for the culture founding this nation, why would it be a problem for a culture furthering this nation? it doesnt make much sense.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:39 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,479,925 times
Quote:
if it wasnt a problem for the culture founding this nation, why would it be a problem for a culture furthering this nation? it doesnt make much sense.
It makes perfect sense because they are not 'furthering' the nation.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:54 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,324,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
This HAS been happening - Miami prime example. Cubans have taken over since Castro outed them. 98% of the jobs request that the applicant be bi-lingual but yet the ones filling the positions can barely speak English - how does that make them bi-lingual? Furthermore the ones in charge of hiring, tend to hire their own light skinned Cuban counter-parts and discriminate against the darker skinned Cubans; Dominicans; Blacks, etc.

It's not pretty soon it's going to happen - it has happened.
But aren't those businesses owned by Cubans? The difference I see between the Cubans who came here years ago and those immigrants coming from Mexico now, is that the Cubans were educated, wealthy and most likely businessmen already when they first left Cuba and came here and many of the Mexicans who are coming over now are very poor, uneducated and not business savy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration