Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 08:58 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
So why does the Hispanic growth rate need to slow down? It's a national identity that you are imposing, saying that Hispanics cannot be part of that if they grow too quickly. This seems to suggest that someone hears a little Spanish, and the "Americans" can't handle it.
And exactly why should it be growing much faster than the growth rate of other groups? Especially when hispanics are the group that is fast growing in poverty, they cannot afford their huge numbers of children. Whites, blacks, Asians are not adding to the poverty rates of this country the way the hispanics are.

Irresponsible breeding is exactly why their own countries are such hell holes that they will even die trying to leave. Why should that be encouraged here? The fact is millions of illiterate uneducated illegals cannot make it with our much higher costs of living just by working the lowest paying servant jobs, they require huge amounts of government assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 09:24 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,849,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You are wrong wrong wrong. The can only enter Mexico up to a certain distance and then you are required to have some kind of permission to be there -- same as in the USA border towns, Mexicans don't need a passport to shop in the border towns.
So you go to any of the plentiful IMN offices to get an FMT, which doesn't even require a passport (a passport will get a longer duration under the FMT, 180 days instead of 30 or 90; 7 day FMTs are even free of cost). The "certain distance" is about 50 miles into the interior of Mexico, some areas (like portions of Baja California) don't require an FMT. On the other hand, lawful entry into the United States requires a visa of some sort from non-citizens.

Mexicans need something to come through a Port of Entry, why would we have Border Crossing Cards if that were not the case?...

Old 12-14-2012, 09:28 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,849,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I have said because we need to diversify more. How many times do I have to say it? A "little" Spanish? Please, where I live I rarely hear a Spanish speaker speaking English in public and I am sure it is representive of most areas in the southwest and spreading throughout this country.
The Southwest has always been that way. Why does it matter if you overhear someone speaking in Spanish? Does that mean they have different principles from you?

Old 12-14-2012, 10:12 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,873,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
The great thing about living in America is I have the freedom to speak both in English and Spanish if I feel like it! If you disagree, please reference the constitution
The rotten thing about America right now is that we've been invaded by massive numbers of lazy, arrogant, monolingual Spanish speakers. Americans should not have to learn Spanish to cater to them. I swear if a group of Americans moved to Mexico, steadfastly refused to learn Spanish and demanded that Mexicans learned English to make life easier for them you'd call them all kinds of nasty names.

It's not okay when illegals do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Oh you think it is great knowing another language?

Why doesn't that apply to those who come here only knowing their language and refuse to learn English?

So Americans basically are biggots for only speaking English but illegal aliens who only speak their native language get a free pass?

How hypocritical.
So true. Illegals who can't be bothered to learn English when they voluntarily move here are treated sympathetically. But Americans who don't want to learn Spanish to cater to their arrogance are readily told off.

The hypocrisy is ridiculous. Americans should not be required to learn Spanish unless that job has specific requirements pertaining to it. A Spanish teacher needs to learn Spanish for the job. A police officer or a nurse should not. If an illegal does not speak English that is his problem to solve not ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
I assume you're being sarcastic, but Spanish wasn't a reqirement for a retail job in the US until the illegal alien invasion. Many places in CA, restaurants, stores, and other places that serve the public, require their workers to speak Spanish. No Spanish-no job. Officers in one police department in Southern California were told to learn to speak Spanish, or look for another job. I heard, although can't confirm, the same thing happened with a school district in Texas. This is simply to accomodate illegal aliens. The legal immigrants and residents who wish to become contributing participants, and citizens of this country, learn to speak English.They're willing to give back, rather than just take.
Yeah. Illegals are all about what they can get from this country rather than what they can contribute to it. It's all about demanding Americans meet their economic needs even if that means Americans suffer as a result of their actions. They are very selfish people.

Quote:
Bilingual nowadays doesn't really mean Bilingual.

It means Spanish.
So true. It certainly does not mean Italian or Yiddish or Chinese. It means Spanish. And it means Spanish because many illegals are simply too lazy to learn English. Yet another reason why they shouldn't be here.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:32 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,533,552 times
Quote:
Oh you think it is great knowing another language?

Why doesn't that apply to those who come here only knowing their language and refuse to learn English?

So Americans basically are biggots for only speaking English but illegal aliens who only speak their native language get a free pass?

How hypocritical.
who are you talking to???

Like, i ve never EVER said that the people that go to USA and refuse to speak english are right or whatever. I actually think is the total opposite: people that go live in USA SHOULD LEARN ENGLISH!! Its a sign of respect for the country, and the best way to immerse and understand the culture and its people. OF COURSE THEY SHOULD!!!. So why do you say "hypocrticial"??? Cause its certainly not my case.

Like, if i go to live in Italy, i would learn italian 100% before going, of course, its the only way to go. I absolutely dont approve of people going to USA and refusing to learn english,thats ridiculous and frankly disrispectful.

But i also dont understand whats the problem in learning other language, i mean, i work in english and a lot of people i know do to and it never occured me to think this was a "bad" thing. If anything, it help us to learn. And that is ALWAYS a good thing.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:44 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,533,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
Sure, knowing more than one language is fine, and can be beneficial, but why should someone be forced to learn Spanish? Maybe they'd rather learn French, German, or Chinese. No one should be forced to learn a particular language. That goes for Spanish speakers too. If they choose not to learn English, and can't make in this country because of that, let them return home. We've had Spanish thrust upon us simply because of the illegal alien invasion. They're the only ones who expect the rest of the country to cater to them.
But here you have to learn ENGLISH (Argentina official language is spanish) to get jobs and no one complains like that, like its a "patriotic" thing. No one says its forced. If anything, whatever the language is, it is bennefitial. Example: i ve always wanted to learn French and Italian. But the country i live in, the educational system and the work world, requieres you to speak ENGLISH, mostly. So, when you enter school they teach english, when you are little one of your extra curricular activities is english, when you try to get a job it requieres english. And everything adds up. You learn english and you love it. I LOVE english (sometimes i like it more than spanish), i read books in english, read a lot of forums and articles on internet in english, watch movies/all my favourite tv series in english, etc. Its an excellent thing. I have access to much more things thanks to the fact that i ve been FORCED to learn english. A whole new world has been opened for me.
Sometimes i wish i knew french, or italian, so i can speak fluently with all the family i have back in italy, and i dont have to use the google translation. But French or Italian arent as important in my culture as english, so if i want to learn any of these languages, i have to go and study them. And i will. Cause learning another language is WONDERFUL.

So, again, i dont understand what you are complaining about.

Except this is a racist or xenophobic thing?

it seems so

Old 12-14-2012, 01:58 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
We have a sizable population of hispanic people. Like it or not this is a fact. These citizens may be able to make themselves understood but struggle especially if the other person has a strong accent.
Until or unless the nation passes a law making English the official language then I feel it is not unreasonable to hire bi-lingual speakers. I don't see what the big deal is.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:09 PM

62,980 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
The Southwest has always been that way. Why does it matter if you overhear someone speaking in Spanish? Does that mean they have different principles from you?
I beg to differ. There may have been many Hispanics living in the southwest in the past but so were there Americans of other ethnic groups also.

What it means to me hearing someone speaking in Spanish is that they are either unassimilated citizens/immigrants or they are illegal immigrants. Principles has nothing to do with it. It is about assimilation.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
who are you talking to???

Like, i ve never EVER said that the people that go to USA and refuse to speak english are right or whatever. I actually think is the total opposite: people that go live in USA SHOULD LEARN ENGLISH!! Its a sign of respect for the country, and the best way to immerse and understand the culture and its people. OF COURSE THEY SHOULD!!!. So why do you say "hypocrticial"??? Cause its certainly not my case.

Like, if i go to live in Italy, i would learn italian 100% before going, of course, its the only way to go. I absolutely dont approve of people going to USA and refusing to learn english,thats ridiculous and frankly disrispectful.

But i also dont understand whats the problem in learning other language, i mean, i work in english and a lot of people i know do to and it never occured me to think this was a "bad" thing. If anything, it help us to learn. And that is ALWAYS a good thing.
What you fail to understand though is that only Spanish is being pushed. Hispanic-Americans for the most part know English so why would we need to learn Spanish to communicate with them? No, the reason that Spanish is being pushed is because of the large number of illegal immigrants from south of our border. Learning another language should be elective not forced in one's own country and that is the point you are missing. I actually don't see any reason that an American should waste their time learning another language anyway. What for unless you have the type of job that deals with foreigners in their own countries? How many languages should we learn?

It is racist and xenophobic not to learn another language in your own country? Surely you jest.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
We have a sizable population of hispanic people. Like it or not this is a fact. These citizens may be able to make themselves understood but struggle especially if the other person has a strong accent.
Until or unless the nation passes a law making English the official language then I feel it is not unreasonable to hire bi-lingual speakers. I don't see what the big deal is.
A good number of our states have made English their official language. Why should mono-English speaking Americans be discriminated against in hiring practices because of unassimilating "immigrants"? That is a big deal, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration