Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2006, 08:17 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,466,881 times

Advertisements

The ACLU is in la la land...Sha la la la

Old 12-30-2006, 08:18 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,668,382 times
I think it is just criminal that my Irish family came here and were beaten, spit on, paid so low wages they could barely eat, called horrible things and they came over here legally and learned english and gave up everything they had to be americans. And here people complain about how we speak about illegals (all races), and they get all this assistance and they have NO interest in Americas well being and no desire to assimilate. Ticks me off.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:18 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,466,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I think it is just criminal that my Irish family came here and were beaten, spit on, paid so low wages they could barely eat, called horrible things and they came over here legally and learned english and gave up everything they had to be americans. And here people complain about how we speak about illegals (all races), and they get all this assistance and they have NO interest in Americas well being and no desire to assimilate. Ticks me off.
I'm very apologetic to what happened to your ancestors. With that said, human rights has increased immensely since then and also the standard at which it should upheld.
i.e. Desegration of schools and public places
You can't make a generalization they don't want to assimilate when you truly don't know each and every one of their motives.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
I'm very apologetic to what happened to your ancestors. With that said, human rights has increased immensely since then and also the standard at which it should upheld.
i.e. Desegration of schools and public places
You can't make a generalization they don't want to assimilate when you truly don't know each and every one of their motives.
Just as you cannot generalize that they do.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:14 PM

603 posts, read 1,995,548 times
Quote:
I totally agree, since I also have Irish ancestors that immigrated here legally during that time. They were leaving a country for a brighter future and a new beginning in this country and to become Americans, not Irishmen.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:22 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
Guess what? It isn't a requirement to show ID when you vote. The ACLU is against current measures that would require you to do so at polling stations, because they claim it would be disenfranchisement. Besides, I was specifically referring to many dual citizens that live in the southwest that were amnestized back in the 80's, so that wasn't what I was referring to. There are many Mexican American citizens that now have dual citizenship. Look it up, it was one of Fox's big pushes during his administration.
You don't need ID to vote in California either... you just tell them your name, verify your address is correct (which they show you on a list), and that's it! Plain and simple.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
I totally agree, since I also have Irish ancestors that immigrated here legally during that time. They were leaving a country for a brighter future and a new beginning in this country and to become Americans, not Irishmen.
Yes, America is their home despite the treatment, they loved America so much some even served this country after becoming citizens ( or their parents becoming citizens). I dont see too many illegals trying to do that.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Mistreating immigrants is never right, but do you realize it took a generation or two for them to assimilate? There used to be strictly Irish neighborhoods in NYC (for example), and they pretty much stuck to themselves & their traditions. In fact, their lack of "American-ness" is what caused most of the poor treatment toward them. Besides, how do you think St. Patrick's Day became an Americanized holiday? That's not exactly part of the Native American or British culture! But if Cinco de Mayo becomes a popular U.S. holiday (already is around here), you'd probably whine endlessly about that. Anyway, I've posted quotes about Irish immigration before, so you can look them up if you're interested. Btw, my relatives came from Poland and Ukraine, and it took them at least a generation to assimilate... my grandparents spoke Yiddish and Polish/Russian in the house, since my great-grandparents didn't really know English - even after being here for many years.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:35 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Mistreating immigrants is never right, but do you realize it took a generation or two for them to assimilate? There used to be strictly Irish neighborhoods in NYC (for example), and they pretty much stuck to themselves & their traditions. In fact, their lack of "American-ness" is what caused most of the poor treatment toward them. Besides, how do you think St. Patrick's Day became an Americanized holiday? That's not exactly part of the Native American or British culture! But if Cinco de Mayo becomes a popular U.S. holiday (already is around here), you'd probably whine endlessly about that. Anyway, I've posted quotes about Irish immigration before, so you can look them up if you're interested. Btw, my relatives came from Poland and Ukraine, and it took them at least a generation to assimilate... my grandparents spoke Yiddish and Polish/Russian in the house, since my great-grandparents didn't really know English - even after being here for many years.

I can't wait to hear the reponses for this one.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, America is their home despite the treatment, they loved America so much some even served this country after becoming citizens ( or their parents becoming citizens). I dont see too many illegals trying to do that.
Well, I'm assuming an illegal CAN'T enlist, even if they wanted to... but there are plenty of legal Latino immigrants in the military, many of whom have died in the "war" recently. Anyway, your point makes absolutely no sense, since you clearly said "after becoming citizens"... and many Latinos have done that as well. So that really isn't a logical comparison! If you were comparing the illegal Irish immigrants with the illegal Mexicans, that might have some validity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.