Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 06:33 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,411,011 times

Advertisements

[quote=amc760;5085772]
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
something interesting happened to me last night. i was watching TV, late at night, and on came a movie.
"Town with out Pity". it was set in a german town. 4 US soldiers were accused of raping a town girl. the interesting part was that there was quite a bit of dialouge that occured in german!!! some translation was afforded, othertimes the dialogue just went on in german. i didnt have a problem with it one bit. it was from 1961.
maybe it was for a german audience...

anyhow, history repeats itself quite a bit. the attitudes towards mexicans or whatever are no different than attitudes towards chinese, italians, polish, germans, irish etc. we just see it more pronounced in times of economic downturns. hundreds of thousands of US citizens were exiled from southern cali and sent to mexico following the depression. US CITIZENS. and not just children of immigrants, and not just children of children of immigrants. lots of people who had been in the southland for generations. they just looked a certain way. just like mathew shepard looked gay, or like the way that man beaten in front of his girlfriends sister looked illegal.

the current economic downturn has focused all the hate on the worker, when it should be focused on the govt and these companies who have increased profit margins at the expense of local and foreign workers.
they are winning, while we struggle along fighting for crumbs.
sucks.
further; beni and all other "non white" people, its great that you see yourself as "american" (which is funny becasue america is a continent), but the reality is that most people in north america, or the US, will see you as an AFRICAN AMERICAN. thats just the reality. until we are all turned inside out, these differences in skin pigment and hair and features will continue to be prominent. im not saying that people here make an issue out of it, since we are anonymous, but blacks and browns and other non-white individuals walk around thie life with certain traits and pre-conceived notions placed on them. i dont like it, but ignoring it does not help the situation.
i prefer to understand my friends who are not only, US citizens, and culturally north american, but also filipino, arab, southern, texan, conservative, liberal, etc.
the US is a diverse nation, and this diveristy does not preculde unity.
look at the armed forces for proof of that.[/quote]
Exactly! People from different ethnicities, towns, states, walks of life all in one unit and working together.
First and foremost, I agree that for as long as there has been an America, there have been racially motivated issues, incidents and problems. That is where our agreement begins and ends.

There is a profound difference between the immigrants of various races and ethnicities who were SCREENED upon entry at Ellis Island and the millions of illegal aliens primarily from one country, MEXICO, who have deliberately invaded and raped America while refusing to assimilate, learn the English language, and are procreating for the purpose of future chain migration, free education, welfare benefits and other freebies which further allows the illegal alien a source of income and reason to remain in the US illegally. All this and demanding rights they are not entitled to. Adding insult to injury is their demand for amnesty.

In order to survive, the immigrants who came through Ellis Island had to obey the laws, work to support their families , learn English and assimilate in order to succeed in America. There were no welfare programs.

You attempt to lump the illegal alien asians, germans, chinese etc. as being in the same position as Mexican illegals. I have to disagree. Mexican illegal aliens are the most arrogant, self absorbed, selfish, greedy, non assimilating, ungrateful illegal aliens to ever invade this country.

We are very much aware that there are illegal aliens in this country of various other ethnicities. While we do not like it, at least the majority of them are smart enough and humble enough to stay below the radar. They are grateful to be here, they are grateful for the free education and other opportunities they receive, they attempt to assimilate and learn English and they do not flaunt any signs of delusional arrogance by parading down American streets waving the rag of the country they fled while desecrating the American flag and raging ungratefully against America's rule of law. All the while denigrating our country out of one side of their mouths while sucking from the American tit of generosity out of the other side. The US is culturally diverse and ethnically diverse but we are NOT aspiring to be a replica of 3rd world Mexico .

As for your comparison of the plight of Mexican illegal aliens to American Citizens of African descent, simply put there is NONE.

Nice try but no cigars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 07:02 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
something interesting happened to me last night. i was watching TV, late at night, and on came a movie.
"Town with out Pity". it was set in a german town. 4 US soldiers were accused of raping a town girl. the interesting part was that there was quite a bit of dialouge that occured in german!!! some translation was afforded, othertimes the dialogue just went on in german. i didnt have a problem with it one bit. it was from 1961.

anyhow, history repeats itself quite a bit. the attitudes towards mexicans or whatever are no different than attitudes towards chinese, italians, polish, germans, irish etc. we just see it more pronounced in times of economic downturns. hundreds of thousands of US citizens were exiled from southern cali and sent to mexico following the depression. US CITIZENS. and not just children of immigrants, and not just children of children of immigrants. lots of people who had been in the southland for generations. they just looked a certain way. just like mathew shepard looked gay, or like the way that man beaten in front of his girlfriends sister looked illegal.

the current economic downturn has focused all the hate on the worker, when it should be focused on the govt and these companies who have increased profit margins at the expense of local and foreign workers.
sucks.
further; beni and all other "non white" people, its great that you see yourself as "american" (which is funny becasue america is a continent), but the reality is that most people in north america, or the US, will see you as an AFRICAN AMERICAN. thats just the reality. until we are all turned inside out, these differences in skin pigment and hair and features will continue to be prominent. im not saying that people here make an issue out of it, since we are anonymous, but blacks and browns and other non-white individuals walk around thie life with certain traits and pre-conceived notions placed on them. i dont like it, but ignoring it does not help the situation.
i prefer to understand my friends who are not only, US citizens, and culturally north american, but also filipino, arab, southern, texan, conservative, liberal, etc.
look at the armed forces for proof of that.
I was not born in, nor do I currently live in a vacuum. Contrary to how you may perceive me, I am still an American aka a U.S. citizen. My heritage does not alter that fact. Yes, I am of African ancestry. I am also of German and Indian ancestry. However, my heritage does not define who I am as an individual. It only determines my bloodline. I did not influence that whatsoever.

I am well aware of the history of racism in this country. I am well aware that some of my ancestors were brought here by force, and everything that slavery entailed. I am also well aware of the racism that prevented black soldiers from receiving their rightful honor and dignity while serving courageously in defense of this country.

You may wish to dwell on past injustices and racial disparities; but I prefer to embrace the progress made within my lifetime, and forge ahead to a brighter future. The mere fact that a black man is the Democratic presidential nominee speaks volumes. This country has changed whether you choose to believe it, or not. I prefer to learn from the past, rather than live in it.

I truly don’t care what you choose to call me…….be it Negro, Colored, Mulatto, Black, African-American, the “N” word, or Martian. You, nor anyone else, will dictate “what” or “who” I am. I may simply be an African-American to you; but to me, I will always be AMERICAN.

I love myself. Sorry, but you, and no one else, will change that.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:20 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,754,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I was not born in, nor do I currently live in a vacuum. Contrary to how you may perceive me, I am still an American aka a U.S. citizen. My heritage does not alter that fact. Yes, I am of African ancestry. I am also of German and Indian ancestry. However, my heritage does not define who I am as an individual. It only determines my bloodline. I did not influence that whatsoever.

I am well aware of the history of racism in this country. I am well aware that some of my ancestors were brought here by force, and everything that slavery entailed. I am also well aware of the racism that prevented black soldiers from receiving their rightful honor and dignity while serving courageously in defense of this country.

You may wish to dwell on past injustices and racial disparities; but I prefer to embrace the progress made within my lifetime, and forge ahead to a brighter future. The mere fact that a black man is the Democratic presidential nominee speaks volumes. This country has changed whether you choose to believe it, or not. I prefer to learn from the past, rather than live in it.

I truly don’t care what you choose to call me…….be it Negro, Colored, Mulatto, Black, African-American, the “N” word, or Martian. You, nor anyone else, will dictate “what” or “who” I am. I may simply be an African-American to you; but to me, I will always be AMERICAN.

What the hell are you trying argue? Hes not telling you that youre not American, or that you shouldnt feel American.
He's just saying that even if you try to forget your ethnicity, others wont. So why not embrace the good thigns about it?

The whole "I'M AMERICAN plain and simple!" thing is naive. It works good on an anonymous site like this one(yet everyone STILL makes clear their ethnicity for SOME reason), but in real life its there in your face. So why make it into a bad thing? Why not embrace it? Its okay to be different, society's becoming more tolerant and accepting.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:21 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:

sucks.

You don't need to get too dramatic about this.

There are immigrants from Poland, China, Mexico and so on who come here legally, respect the laws of this country, wait their turn and all that. Nothing is going to happen to them.

Then there are those who did not bother with the legal process or have broken the terms of their visa. They have no respect for the laws of this country, they figure they should just break in line and be rewarded for doing that.

All countries have immigration laws. The USA takes in far more legal immigrants than any other nation in the world. There are many millions of people who would like to immigrate to the USA and so the process needs to be orderly, fair, and legal.

Immigration cannot simply be the free-for-all that you suggest. Those who respect our laws should not be moved to the back of the line to accomodate the millions that do not. Immigration should not be all about bringing wages way down, getting certain employers cheap and unlimited supplies of low-paid servants. The rights and general well-being of Americans needs to be considered.

And when Americans living and working illegally in Mexico are discovered, same thing happens, they get kicked out of Mexico. No one is calling Mexicans racist for enforcing their laws.

Last edited by malamute; 09-01-2008 at 07:42 PM..

Old 09-01-2008, 07:39 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:

sucks.

Actually whites did not come up with the term "African-American". Whites would still be happy calling blacks "coloreds" or "Negroes", or "blacks".

"African-American" became the politically correct term, whites that use it are just trying to go along with the acceptable term of the day.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:43 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,754,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Actually whites did not come up with the term "African-American". Whites would still be happy calling blacks "coloreds" or "Negroes", or "blacks".

"African-American" became the politically correct term, whites that use it are just trying to go along with the acceptable term of the day.
huh???

Old 09-01-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
What the hell are you trying argue? Hes not telling you that youre not American, or that you shouldnt feel American.
He's just saying that even if you try to forget your ethnicity, others wont. So why not embrace the good thigns about it?

The whole "I'M AMERICAN plain and simple!" thing is naive. It works good on an anonymous site like this one(yet everyone STILL makes clear their ethnicity for SOME reason), but in real life its there in your face. So why make it into a bad thing? Why not embrace it? Its okay to be different, society's becoming more tolerant and accepting.
I don't expect you, who places ethnicity above all else, to understand. I am not denying my ethnicity; I simply don't allow it to define me. Different? Compared to what? Aren’t we ALL different?

You don’t know me, so please stop trying to tell me how I feel. You must understand, I was not raised to feel inferior to anyone; and I never have. You are obviously confusing me with some blacks you may know. Those blacks may feel “different” -- I don’t.

I also have no control over how others perceive me. That is their problem, not mine. Make no mistake, I am a black American; and I fully embrace everything I am. Accept the fact, that I will not be race-baited.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:56 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,750,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post

Rock on girl!

What a beautifully eloquent post!

You just keep on preachin' sister girl! This American mutt is right there with ya!

Old 09-01-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Rock on girl!

What a beautifully eloquent post!

You just keep on preachin' sister girl! This American mutt is right there with ya!
Thanks, Kele!

Old 09-01-2008, 08:02 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,411,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

Actually whites didn't come up with that term. Unless you are including the MSM that still licks the boots of the worthless, irrlevant, government sponsored pimps of our race known as Jesse and Al.

Personally while I am an American of African descent I refer to myself as a black woman. I feel no need to identify the obvious when it comes to my ethnicity. I an American first and foremost and above all else.

Any hispanic who places their ethnicity, loyalty and dual citizenship status above that of their acquired American citizenship can never be considered a true American. You can't ride two donkeys with one ass, no matter how wide your ass happens to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration