Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2007, 08:44 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
There was a time when I couldn't afford insurance, so I took advantage of the health clinics, which are open to anyone with ID. They also have options for the less fortunate, like my mother's friend who got on medicaid (I think that's what it is?)... he has absolutely no money to speak of, and was still able to receive the basic healthcare that's needed. He's had 4 open-heart surgeries recently, and didn't have to pay a penny, as far as I know. Now I'm not saying our healthcare system is perfect, and in fact I believe it's FAR from it... but we still have more than many countries & undocumented residents.
Wow I wish the hospital hadnt made me pay,we were threatned with a law suit. And we go to the clinics all the time, they make us pay upfront for the services. Yes while at a little discount. I have a family of 5 to take care of. Health insurance for five is ALOT!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I didn't say you are... it's the government's business to provide them with healthcare, and I still don't see how it affects you directly. I've never paid for them, have you? And before you say it, taxes go toward lots of people, not just illegal immigrants - they also help the less fortunate citizens who are uninsured. Besides, my taxes go to a LOT of things I might not agree with, but that's the price you pay for the benefits that are received.
how do you pay? Well health insurance has gone up, hospitals charge us alot more to make up the difference. And yes taxes, but they dont help me with healthcare. The government wont pay for it, we will through more taxes.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:47 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,468,049 times
Andrea, come with me to Tijuana, the 1.5 million city below San Diego. Half of the residents are from other states of Mexico, and they are ready to enter the U.S. for a better life. I've been there six times, it is ridiculously poor. I've only stayed for the day, but would never ever ever walk through those streets at night. These people live in shantys. There house is the size of your living room. There is garbage everywhere, bars around the perimeter of the homes, only if your rich, and they are six feet high. There are thousands of orphans who walk the streets, and prostitution brings in dollars. The people are in despair, the poor line up before you enter back into the United States, trying to sell anything they can just to make an extra dollar. You can get jumped anywhere at anytime, the police are corrupt and set up even Mexican Citizens to gain extra money. If you were to go there, you would be choked up inside without a doubt in my mind. I'm tired of arguing on this site, there's only so much you can do to change a perspective, and then you walk away.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:49 AM

178 posts, read 735,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I am mad at BOTH. We never hired illegals. the business owners need stiff punishment and the illegals as well, they BOTH know what they are doing is wrong. BOTH do not care.
But no one is trashing the business owners. I don't hear....no
more business owner who hire illegals!! It's all about the illegals.
So... like I said... buiness owners are having a sweet deal.
They must be kicking back and laughing at the mess they have made.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Andrea, come with me to Tijuana, the 1.5 million city below San Diego. Half of the residents are from other states of Mexico, and they are ready to enter the U.S. for a better life. I've been there six times, it is ridiculously poor. I've only stayed for the day, but would never ever ever walk through those streets at night. These people live in shantys. There house is the size of your living room. There is garbage everywhere, bars around the perimeter of the homes, only if your rich, and they are six feet high. There are thousands of orphans who walk the streets, and prostitution brings in dollars. The people are in despair, the poor line up before you enter back into the United States, trying to sell anything they can just to make an extra dollar. You can get jumped anywhere at anytime, the police are corrupt and set up even Mexican Citizens to gain extra money. I'm tired of arguing on this site, there's only so much you can do to change a perspective, and then you walk away.

So you are saying that you believe that if it was us in dire need, that Canada and Mexico would just let us walk in and use their systems, with no penalty? Well what are we waiting for? If it is good for the goose.......

Old 02-06-2007, 08:50 AM

172 posts, read 309,369 times
*shuffles race cards*

*stokes fire of fear*

Old 02-06-2007, 08:52 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Where's your heart for the american family that lost it's job and home that are sleeping in cars? Do you hire them as well? I know a few that could use the work. Most illegals have homes.
Did you know that something like 60% of the homeless have severe mental illness, and about 20% suffer from substance addictions? I don't "blame" them for that, since they're both mental disturbances beyond a person's control... but would they be a reliable employee? Probably not. I live in an area that suffers from one of the worst homelessness problems in the US, so I've known quite a few on a personal level... and many choose to be in that situation, and refuse help when it's offered. Recently we had a serious drop in temperature, and task-forces went out to try and take them into shelters - I saw it on the news, and about half of them said "no thanks", and that they'd rather sleep on the streets. And recently a homeless guy asked me for money, because "he was starving"... so I offered him a slice of my hot pizza (which I'd just picked up), and he gave me a dirty look and walked away. Hmmmmm, wonder what he wanted that money for, if a fresh piece of pizza wasn't good enough?

P.S. Yes, I do sympathize with families that lose jobs, and are forced to live in their car for a while (for example)... but that's not the majority of the homeless population, so they aren't typically what you'll see. I see maybe one family for every 100 single homeless people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by la quinta family View Post
But no one is trashing the business owners. I don't hear....no
more business owner who hire illegals!! It's all about the illegals.
So... like I said... buiness owners are having a sweet deal.
They must be kicking back and laughing at the mess they have made.
Oh I have bashed them plenty just not on this thread. We have seen it at work, we are in construction, have been for 20 years now, we have seen it all go downhill, because the builders love their profits. it is just irritating to hear that it isnt the illegals, fault. It is them as well, they know EXACTLY what they are doing. I am pretty sure they are loving the situation as well.

1,703 posts, read 6,468,049 times
I feel terrible for the poor of Mexico, I truly do. I do not support crossing the border illegaly, but i do support extremely poor Mexicans who are suffering and trying to get across as we speak. I would give them healthcare, a job, a place to live at any cost.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:53 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,478,559 times
Medical Emergency: Who Pays the Price for Uncompensated Emergency Medical Care Along the Southwest Border?

Executive Summary
U.S./Mexico Border Coalition*
September 2002

Report funded through an HHS appropriation secured by Senator Kyl.

The study reports that, in 2000, border hospitals spent more than $200 million to provide emergency health care to undocumented immigrants - $79 million in California; $74 million in Texas; $31 million in Arizona; and $6 million in New Mexico. Emergency transportation providers spent more than $13 million in 2000.

The problem of uncompensated emergency services has far reaching implications beyond loss of hospital revenues. Health care costs and insurance premiums are rising, due in part to burgeoning levels of uncompensated care. Rising health insurance premiums are threatening business’ ability, particularly small business, to offer employees affordable health care benefits. High liability costs and low levels of compensation are threatening the viability of emergency rooms and emergency transportation providers along the border. Some counties with high rates of uncompensated care can no longer afford to provide “charity” care for local needy residents. In some instances, high levels of unpaid medical bills related to undocumented immigrants have forced local healthcare providers to reduce staffing, increase rates, and cut back services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration