Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 09:54 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotkey View Post
A few more things. They are paying taxes just like you. they work for their money just like you. They pay to get by in life just like you. As long as they respect you (and you don't demand it) you should not have a problem with it. You tell me, how is it when they speak in Spanish so you don't hear any more rude or unacceptable as your turning and whispering to your friend/co-worker?
Listen, if they are legal immigrants I have no problems with them.
I don't have a problem if a person has an accent, or if their English is spotty. To me it is all bout the fact that they are trying.
What they speak to family and friends is entirely up to them and none of my business. It only becomes my business (and annoyance) when they demand that government forms/drivers tests and the like are done in their native language.
I don't believe that I am alone in this thought, either.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:03 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,495,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
That's why English needs to be the OFFICIAL LANGUAGE of this country. And no I don't feel left out, I just feel its very rude. I guess you failed to see my point that alot of people share with me. If they want to speak Spanish they can, in MEXICO!

When a group of people are sitting at a table with you and having a conversation with you and then they turn to each other and speak some foreign jibberish, its not "eavesdropping", ITS BEING RUDE......What part of that do you not understand? Or are you one of those that speak English and then turn to your friend and speak Spanish??? I think I already know my answer, thank you!!
Yes it's actually rude.

I could care less if they speak their native language as long as they do it with people in their own culture, not involving Only-English speakers.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:03 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,996 times
Quote:
Why should WE learn Spanish and the illegals don't have to learn English?

Me and some co-workers/friends had a really heated discussion earlier this week, and it stemmed from two of the hispanic girls speaking Spanish while everyone else was speaking English. One of the girls was born in Laredo Texas, therefore she IMO is American with Mexican descent. I asked her why, since they both know English, do they continue to speak Spanish around everyone else. She simply answered, "then you should learn Spanish", the other girl agreed with her. This set me off! I reminded her that she was an AMERICAN, she started saying she was Mexican, this went on for a few minutes. I also informed her that I am Czech and Irish, but I don't go around speaking Gaelic and Slovak. Then I asked her if she thought the illegals needed to learn English, she said NO. I then informed her that if they want to be in OUR country then they need to learn OUR language. Then I asked her a question which stumped her. "If you were to move to China or France, would you expect them to learn Spanish or would you learn Chinese or French"? She didn't have an answer other than "you still need to learn Spanish".

What brings on this mentality? I am not saying ALL hispanics do this, but more often than not it seems they EXPECT US to learn THEIR language, and not have to learn Ours?

WHY?
I speak French in public with other French speakers. If you don't know the language, then that's on you if you want to know what is being said.

Also if your comparison to if you moved to China or France is illogical since she already speaks the language of the our nation. So if she moved to China or France, she would learn the language and retain her original language.

Again, if I you really want to know what I'm saying with my friends, learn the language. We did.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Listen, if they are legal immigrants I have no problems with them.
I don't have a problem if a person has an accent, or if their English is spotty. To me it is all bout the fact that they are trying.
What they speak to family and friends is entirely up to them and none of my business. It only becomes my business (and annoyance) when they demand that government forms/drivers tests and the like are done in their native language.
I don't believe that I am alone in this thought, either.
I agree, except on the driver test thing. My mom is now fluent in English, but needed the French test. She was still shakey in her English. I think that there is a transition period in which while being legal there are some language barriers.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
That's why English needs to be the OFFICIAL LANGUAGE of this country. And no I don't feel left out, I just feel its very rude. I guess you failed to see my point that alot of people share with me. If they want to speak Spanish they can, in MEXICO!

When a group of people are sitting at a table with you and having a conversation with you and then they turn to each other and speak some foreign jibberish, its not "eavesdropping", ITS BEING RUDE......What part of that do you not understand? Or are you one of those that speak English and then turn to your friend and speak Spanish??? I think I already know my answer, thank you!!
It's eavesdropping. Haven't you been with a group of friends who whisper something and then you ask, they reply politely "Oh it's nothing" or "Oh,there's no need to get into it" or something along those lines? It's the same thing. It's called being nosey if you need to hear every little bit that goes on. Let it go.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:10 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
I agree, except on the driver test thing. My mom is now fluent in English, but needed the French test. She was still shakey in her English. I think that there is a transition period in which while being legal there are some language barriers.
I would agree with you, except an inability to read English could make one a hazard on the road now that electronic signs are more in use. If your mom wasn't sure of reading 'merge left' in English on a test, she could have become a danger on the road trying to read merge left on an electronic sign in the middle of the night.
For this same reason, I would be hesitant to drive in a non English speaking country.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:19 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Frankly: any driver's license test for a US state should be in English only.

Mexico I am sure mandates Spanish only for its DL's.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I would agree with you, except an inability to read English could make one a hazard on the road now that electronic signs are more in use. If your mom wasn't sure of reading 'merge left' in English on a test, she could have become a danger on the road trying to read merge left on an electronic sign in the middle of the night.
For this same reason, I would be hesitant to drive in a non English speaking country.
More concerning filling out forms, and all the more technical stuff. It says "Merge Left" on the test, not "Changer a Gauche", at least that's what she told me. The instructions are in French, but the signs are in English.

So for example

C'est placard represent: (stop sign)
1) Arret
2) Continuer
3) Tuer

(This sign represents, with picture of a stop sign: 1) stop, 2) continue 3) kill). So, the "stop" sign is in English, but the instructions were (again according to her) in French.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Frankly: any driver's license test for a US state should be in English only.
Why?

Old 04-09-2009, 11:25 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Why?
For safety reasons...........if an accident occurs due to not being able to read a sign in English---------that will go against the driver.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration