Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2009, 11:08 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,372,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
People obviously do it enough where the 50 people in the parking lot are getting enough work to get by. I saw this at the Home Depot in Van Nuys, CA. To me it was pretty strange since I had never seen anything like that before but it didn't really bother me at all. If I bought a bunch of building materials and left the store and they asked me if I needed help I'd kindly say no and be on my merry way. For whomever it is using their services it is probably a great convenience for them that they are able to get cheap labor so conveniently.
With the current state of today's economy, any and all work should be going to Amercian citizens, don't you think? But on the other hand I 100% agree that those who use the services of these people are mostly to blame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 12:36 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
With the current state of today's economy, any and all work should be going to Amercian citizens, don't you think? But on the other hand I 100% agree that those who use the services of these people are mostly to blame.
Ideally, I do believe that all work should be going to anybody who is an American citizen OR who is legally permitted to work in the U.S. (including permanent residents, carriers of temporary work visas, etc.) So yes, I agree with you. The whole point of this thread was to offer a different solution to decreasing or minimizing the illegal immigration problem. We all agree that it's a problem and we know the problems subsequently caused by it. The problem is finding a viable solution.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:42 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
People obviously do it enough where the 50 people in the parking lot are getting enough work to get by. I saw this at the Home Depot in Van Nuys, CA. To me it was pretty strange since I had never seen anything like that before but it didn't really bother me at all. If I bought a bunch of building materials and left the store and they asked me if I needed help I'd kindly say no and be on my merry way. For whomever it is using their services it is probably a great convenience for them that they are able to get cheap labor so conveniently.

I think the recession is fixing this for us.

Bad economy forcing immigrants to reconsider U.S. - CNN.com

bottom line,
With illegal immigrants returning home, he said, "It's certainly good for two groups: taxpayers and less educated natives."

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 06-01-2009 at 12:51 PM..

Old 06-01-2009, 01:08 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

bottom line,
With illegal immigrants returning home, he said, "It's certainly good for two groups: taxpayers and less educated natives."
That's happening in my neighborhood too:
Hard times send Latinos back across the border

It actually kinda sucks because it's hurting the local economy. I'm not excited for more vacant commerical property on my main thoroughfare. We've recently lost several friends who decided to move back home too.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:49 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

bottom line,
Quote:
• Tougher border enforcement along the U.S.-Mexico border has made it harder for them to return once they leave;
• Smuggling costs to get into the United States from Mexico have skyrocketed from about $1,500 three years ago to about $6,000 today
From the article that 1ATP posted.

Those two paragraphs are proof that enforcement of our southern border is fast approaching 'Berlin Wall' status--------without the need for armed guards posted every few feet. Although, that last feature is waiting in the wings if the illegals truly become suicidal stupid.

Can someone say Psych?

Old 06-01-2009, 01:54 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,067,533 times
Yeah, so the whole of Mexico can move right in. No thanks.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:38 PM

471 posts, read 587,252 times
Quote:
That's happening in my neighborhood too:
Hard times send Latinos back across the border

It actually kinda sucks because it's hurting the local economy. I'm not excited for more vacant commerical property on my main thoroughfare. We've recently lost several friends who decided to move back home too.
I'm not going to berate you or call you name either way, but where they legal or illegal? Just asking

Old 06-01-2009, 07:13 PM

25 posts, read 31,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam0084 View Post
Wouldn't an even simpler way to skirt illegal immigration be to secure the borders, enforce current immigration laws, and make it HARDER to come here illegally and opposed to legally?
Your example brings to mind raising the number of high school graduates by letting people graduate after the tenth grade or lowering a passing grade to 60% correct.
Why would a welfare state,the US, want to bring people of low/limited financial capacity and limited skills to our country? 33% of legal immigrants are already using a major welfare system, are you suggesting that we lower our standard even more as to raise that number even higher? Why would anyone want that? What do native tax payers stand to gain from lower immigration standards?

The US and its laws are not here for the leisurely use of foreigners. I'm sorry.
This is the best comment I've ever read on the subject!

Another fact to add is that NO COUNTRY IN THE WORLD just allows folks to come in without going through an immigration process.

We are running out of resources and have a huge budget deficit here in California. It's time the gravy train stopped. The taxpayers and citizens can no longer afford illegal aliens. Period.

Sydney

Old 06-01-2009, 07:26 PM

25 posts, read 31,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarpunk View Post

Umm.. NO, the U.S. would be an overpopulated Nightmare therefore not "Everybody would be Happy", there would be many cultural differences and cultural and gang wars, NOT to mention frequent Terrorist Attacks.. Employment in the U.S. would be scarce and there would be a shortage of resources..

MAYBE many of these said Immigrants should focus their energy onto improving conditions in THEIR OWN countries instead of coming to the U.S. for the mere purpose of taxpayer funded handouts or for other selfish reasons.. Only people that TRULY want to put forth the effort to become U.S. citizens and do so LEGALLY as millions of other immigrants have and do each and every day, then those immigrants should be welcomed with open arms..
But Bipolarpunk, this IS the United States NOW. Can you imagine how much worse it would be if the borders were down?

I agree that all of these immigrants should build up their own country instead of tearing ours down. I have had a number of European visitors mention that California "looks like a third world country" in the past ten years. Let's face it -- too many people, too little resources, irresponsible baby-anchoring, higher crime rates, loss of jobs for AMERICANS -- all of these contribute to our sad state of affairs.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:15 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyY View Post
But Bipolarpunk, this IS the United States NOW. Can you imagine how much worse it would be if the borders were down?

I agree that all of these immigrants should build up their own country instead of tearing ours down. I have had a number of European visitors mention that California "looks like a third world country" in the past ten years. Let's face it -- too many people, too little resources, irresponsible baby-anchoring, higher crime rates, loss of jobs for AMERICANS -- all of these contribute to our sad state of affairs.
Trust me: Bipolar is quite anti illegal immigration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration