Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 06:54 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,070,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Those are the people we need.

They also want welfare benefits and, I suspect, the ability to freely plan mischief, without needing eyes on the back of their heads.
The US demographics are a bit different that what is found in Europe.

The Majority of Muslims in the US are not recent immigrants. They have above average eduacation levels and a higher average income then the non-Muslim americans.

The Majority of Mideastern people in the US are Christian as are about 2/3 of American Arabs and nearly 100% of American Iranians.

The Statistics for the US are quite different from what is found in the UK and Europe

A few links to look at

Muslim Americans: Middle Class and Mostly Mainstream | Pew Research Center

AMERICAN MUSLIM DEMOGRAPHICS - MUSLIM AMERICAN POPULATIONS OUTREACH PROGRAMS

http://iraq.usembassy.gov/resources/...atistical.html

One point I have been in error about is the immigrant population has grown tremendously in the past few years and recent immigrants do now out number Muslims that have a long family history of being in the US only 37% of American Muslims are now American born

Section 1: A Demographic Portrait of Muslim Americans | Pew Research Center

Muslim Immigrants in the United States | Center for Immigration Studies

Old 11-01-2015, 08:04 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,263,569 times
It is one thing being born into a religion. It is quite another to convert to one. For the life of me I don’t understand what the attraction of Islam is to black American women to convert to Islam then walk around in a head to tow black garb in August. On top of that they don’t know what they are doing either. They cover their hair then walk around in tight jeans. Some go full ninja which is not even required. I suspect they are using Islam as a vehicle to protest their plight. What they don’t know is that they marginalize themselves even more.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:13 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,932,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
As there is no central Islamic Government, no human is going to gain if the entire world converts to Islam. There is no organization that oversees all Muslims and all Muslims belong too. Most Muslims do not even Join a Mosque. Very many of the world's Muslims do not even go into a Mosque for the obligatory prayers. They do them at work, School, home or where ever they happen to be.

Until the coming of the Mehdi and the return of Jesus(a.s.) there will be no central Islamic leadership. After Jesus(a.s.) and the Mehdi destroy the anti-Christ all people will follow the same religion and Peace will reign on earth until the resurrection and the final judgement. this is something both Muslims and Christians agree upon. but we do disagree as to if the one People will be Christians or Muslims.
Ummm, never heard this in all my Christian studies......I don't believe this is Christian thinking.

Jesus is not a religion.......He really is not!

Old 11-01-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post

Until the coming of the Mehdi and the return of Jesus(a.s.) there will be no central Islamic leadership.
Tell that to the myriad of Islamic governments that have sprung up all over the world. As much as you might say they are “misreading” the Koran, it is not a coincidence that once they are in power they rule pretty much the same way. They all have a religious police of some sort. They just have different tactics. ISIS beheads, others hang them off lamp posts. They are also inspired by the history of the early Islam to spread the word. Islamists do not believe in nation-state. One of the first things they do is kill nationalism. In fact, they consider nationalism as a plot by the west to divide Muslims. They see Muslims everywhere as one nation under the Islamic flag. BTW, the Mehdi you are talking about appears only in Shiism. There are no references to it in the Koran.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:33 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,450,912 times
I believe one of the HUGE issues is you hear NOTHING from the non-violent Muslims regarding the actions/issues with those who believe they have the right to murder anyone who does not convert to the religion.

When you have people practicing violence in the NAME of their religion (and state it is directed by the Koran), and other members of that religion remain silent, then people come away with the view that this is the doctrine of that group and all that believe in it.

Likewise, to DEMAND services/welfare/care from the western world that they hate so much, when their own practicing countries are not willing to step up and assist does not sit well with many of us (me included!). The abuse and mistreatment of women/females in particular is outrageous! A woman will be stoned to death for having been a victim of rape????

Old 11-01-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I believe one of the HUGE issues is you hear NOTHING from the non-violent Muslims regarding the actions/issues with those who believe they have the right to murder anyone who does not convert to the religion.

When you have people practicing violence in the NAME of their religion (and state it is directed by the Koran), and other members of that religion remain silent, then people come away with the view that this is the doctrine of that group and all that believe in it.

Likewise, to DEMAND services/welfare/care from the western world that they hate so much, when their own practicing countries are not willing to step up and assist does not sit well with many of us (me included!). The abuse and mistreatment of women/females in particular is outrageous! A woman will be stoned to death for having been a victim of rape????
Very good point......seems American Muslims can claim things about the religion, but when we look at the Countries that follow Islam they are anything but peaceful. Also, men on CD that have been to these places and know Muslims, never speak about women's rights. They are the first ones to tell us these people are peaceful......makes me wonder how many men would love to see American women treated like second class citizens.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Very good point......seems American Muslims can claim things about the religion, but when we look at the Countries that follow Islam they are anything but peaceful. Also, men on CD that have been to these places and know Muslims, never speak about women's rights. They are the first ones to tell us these people are peaceful......makes me wonder how many men would love to see American women treated like second class citizens.
What we think as oppression of women is acceptable to women over there. We are getting ourselves killed over something they don’t even want.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
What we think as oppression of women is acceptable to women over there. We are getting ourselves killed over something they don’t even want.
I agree.....makes me wonder why people keep signing up for an endless war. Still for others to tell us they are just like Americans and the people are moderate in their customs, as women are sexually oppressed. They can't even drive a car or walk alone without a male companion is misleading to those who don't know the culture.

American soldiers have not come back saying half the things we hear on CD about Muslims, so why the contradiction??

Old 11-01-2015, 02:50 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,965,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
There was a Muslim girl who I graduated college with in my major (very small major, very small private NYC school). She wore a hijab and other conservative dress. I never saw her feet, legs, or anything up above her hands and collarbone. Never saw her hair, obviously. Her parents are immigrants from Jordan, she was born there as well and lived there for some time before coming here, to New York. She lives in Brooklyn. She told one of my classes that her aunt "hates the US" but chose to recently have her baby here anyway. She is staunchly pro-Palestine and anti-Israel, and openly so. She is very critical of US foreign policy. I also knew her sister and some other Muslim girls who were friends with her and also very much like her. That's my experience with the college-aged "non-terrorist" Muslims. AKA, IMHO, she wasn't much better. So, she wasn't killing people - which is good obviously! But she wasn't exactly someone I'd want to associate with. She still had some pretty extreme views.

She wasn't a bad person. She could be very nice and genuine, but I did not like her opinions and found her to be at times alarming when she spoke. Not in a "I'm about to join ISIS" way but in a "I'm kind of anti-US although I live here and it's given me many opportunities like the freedom to speak my mind and the ability to go to a private college, and I probably shouldn't even be living here because I don't like it, I should probably move back to Jordan" way. I just didn't like it. Something felt off about her.

I think Muslims, especially if they are actually immigrants from Muslim-dominant countries, are often just fundamentally very different from people from Western countries. It isn't necessarily a problem or a bad thing (until it is because someone does something), but we clash I think. I don't think Western societies and Muslim ones mesh well at all at this time. And no, the extremism and terrorism doesn't help. No matter how many videos like this post, ISIS and other terror groups are still a legitimate threat and are causing a hell of a lot of turmoil in the world at the moment. No video will change that, or make people feel better about it.
Seeing your post made me sick to my stomach. This girl your talking about is the ultimate hypocrite. This isn't just limited to Muslims but many immigrants. They come to the USA and voluntarily choose to live here yet they talk about the US as if its a terrible country. Deep down they know that the USA is still one of the best countries in the world to live in. Which is why they came here in the first place! Honestly, if they really believed half the crap the say about the US they wouldn't live here.

This country doesn't need that type of immigrants. I wouldn't shed a tear for any of the anti-US immigrants if every single one of them was kicked out of this country tomorrow. I came here as an immigrant and I'm damn proud to be a US citizen. I wouldn't have half the opportunities that I have had here in most other countries in the world.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
This isn't just limited to Muslims but many immigrants. They come to the USA and voluntarily choose to live here yet they talk about the US as if its a terrible country.
The left has made a career out of besmirching the history of the country. They are even teaching it in grade schools, making doubly sure that the kids know George Washington and the rest were slave owners and the Southwest was taken from Mexico and it is effectively Occupier Territories. New Immigrants see that and feel empowered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam