Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 07:27 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
Don't agree with your views above.

When polls are conducted with reference to say Hitler, that Hitler strongly advocate sports, good food, entertainment, etc. which most people would agree is of no issue.

What is of concern should be the effective variables.
I have confident PEW [with a reputation to protect] will definitely come up with effective polling questions that are align to the topic on hand most of the time.

What could be skewed is the answers given by the participants.
It is likely those sitting on the fence will vote against ISIS in the current atmosphere even if they have hidden inclinations for ISIS since what ISIS are doing are in compliance with Allah's ordinations in the Quran.
I will agree PEW is an excellent organization and does quite well at being fair and posting reliable facts.

I am pointing out a general nature of all poll.

A poll can only answer what a specific question asks and can not be more accurate that the replies of the responders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Having written and conducted polls. I have found that the results of a poll can be skewed by the participants interpretation of the poll questions. When a poll does not reflect the expected, the first thing to check is how the participants interpret the questions.

Every poll contains bias. the result being that to some level the poll is going to reflect the bias of the poll author. At best a poll is an estimate. Religious polls are probably the ones that will contain the most author influence as one is dealing with intangible data and have no means of physical verification.

to have to understand the poll better we need to know what that 15% mean by supporting ISIS.

I suspect that although I detest ISIS I could probably still find some aspects of them I support. That should not be equated with meaning I condone or approve of them. such as I support their saying the daily 5 obligatory prayers. that does not mean I support their claim to being a caliphate, their use of a dhimmi tax, their killing of innocent people etc.
ADDENDUM

I I should have added this to my post this to my post

From the same PEW page this chart is interesting. that there are some Christians and Buddhists that find ISIS to be favorable

Most dislike ISIS in Muslim countries | Pew Research Center

What I can not find in the PEW page is how they define favorable and unfavorable

Old 11-19-2015, 08:42 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,141 times
This is all fine and dandy, but with Islam- the loonies always seem to be in charge.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
This is all fine and dandy, but with Islam- the loonies always seem to be in charge.
Yes

As we have no living religious leaders the loonies do claim to be leaders and immediatly fleece the lazy sheeple that refuse to takes responsibility for their actions.

Every Muslim should be aware that we are responsible for our actions, we do not have the option of saying we are misled. We are not to follow anything unless we personally have verified it to be true.

If you see what appears to be an organized Islamic group, it probably is not Islamic.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:55 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,644,574 times
Quote:
ADDENDUM
From the same PEW page this chart is interesting. that there are some Christians and Buddhists that find ISIS to be favorable

Surely you understand the principle of the Normal Distribution of human variables [of large groups].
So I will not be surprised there will always be a percentile of extremists on both sides of the curve.

While it is natural [by the principles of the Normal Curve] there will be a small percentile of Buddhists who will favor ISIS, BUT there are NO verses in the Sutras of Buddhism that will support the case for ISIS. That's the difference.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
Surely you understand the principle of the Normal Distribution of human variables [of large groups].
So I will not be surprised there will always be a percentile of extremists on both sides of the curve.

While it is natural [by the principles of the Normal Curve] there will be a small percentile of Buddhists who will favor ISIS, BUT there are NO verses in the Sutras of Buddhism that will support the case for ISIS. That's the difference.
So you are saying that although the percentages come out to be very similar between Christians, Buddhists and Muslims in the nations where Non-Muslims where polled along with Muslims, it is just part of the normal curve. Except for Muslims it is because of the Qur'an.

Really interesting is that in Malaysia 65% of the Buddhist disapprove of ISIS while 67% of the Muslims disapprove.
y
actually if you read the PEW survey, the survey shows the percentages that disapprove of ISIS and it turns out a larger percentage of Muslims disapprove of ISIS than non-Muslims.

Looking closely at the PEW surveys it does not seem the survey is related to violence it is more about the goals of ISIS.

Another view of the various surveys reflect that most Muslims are concerned about the Extremist organizations.

Concerns about Islamic Extremism on the Rise in Middle East | Pew Research Center

Old 11-24-2015, 06:35 AM

45,579 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
ADDENDUM

I I should have added this to my post this to my post

What I can not find in the PEW page is how they define favorable and unfavorable
I am looking at 7% of Christians in Nigeria. 5% in another country. Everywhere else - it's 0% for Christians/Jews. 6% for the one Buddhist area polled.

We don't know what is considered favorable. We don't know how many people they asked.

Those numbers are pretty close to a statistical zero. Maybe you can call it a trace.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I am looking at 7% of Christians in Nigeria. 5% in another country. Everywhere else - it's 0% for Christians/Jews. 6% for the one Buddhist area polled.

We don't know what is considered favorable. We don't know how many people they asked.

Those numbers are pretty close to a statistical zero. Maybe you can call it a trace.
From what I unserstand the Poll was only given to people from 11 different Nations.It appears they chose the 11 most extreme Nations I think it would have been better results if it hade been given to people from all nations. I think it is more significant that it show a decline in support from previous polls.

Hannity Misreads A Pew Study To Claim That "Significant" Numbers Of Muslims Support ISIS | Blog | Media Matters for America

also because a peson approves of ISIS does not necessarily equate to supporting them. It is possible there are things ISIS does that many people would agree with.

also from PEW check these out.

Widespread concerns about extremism in Muslim nations, and little support for it | Pew Research Center

1. America

Old 12-01-2015, 06:09 AM

1,601 posts, read 1,164,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AayanKhan View Post
Terrorism has no religion.
Quran 3:151
Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had sent no authority: their abode will be the Fire: And evil is the home of the wrong-doers!

Quran 7:4
How many a township have We destroyed! As a raid by night, or while they slept at noon, Our terror came unto them.

Quran 7:152
Lo! Those who chose the calf (for worship), terror from their Lord and humiliation will come upon them in the life of the world. Thus do We requite those who invent a lie.

Quran 8:12
Remember thy Lord inspired the angels (with the message): "I am with you: give firmness to the Believers: I will instil terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers: smite ye above their necks and smite all their finger-tips off them."

Quran 8:60
Against them make ready your strength to the utmost of your power, including steeds of war, to strike terror into (the hearts of) the enemies, of Allah and your enemies, and others besides, whom ye may not know, but whom Allah doth know. Whatever ye shall spend in the cause of Allah, shall be repaid unto you, and ye shall not be treated unjustly.

Quran 17:59
And We refrain from sending the signs, only because the men of former generations treated them as false: We sent the she-camel to the Thamud to open their eyes, but they treated her wrongfully: We only send the Signs by way of terror (and warning from evil).

Quran 17:60
Behold! We told thee that thy Lord doth encompass mankind round about: We granted the vision which We showed thee, but as a trial for men,- as also the Cursed Tree (mentioned) in the Qur'an: We put terror (and warning) into them, but it only increases their inordinate transgression!

Quran 33:26
And those of the People of the Book who aided them - Allah did take them down from their strongholds and cast terror into their hearts. (So that) some ye slew, and some ye made prisoners.

Quran 34:51
If thou couldst but see when they will quake with terror; but then there will be no escape (for them), and they will be seized from a position (quite) near.

Quran 59:2
He it is Who drove out the disbelievers among the people of the Scripture (i.e. the Jews of the tribe of Bani An-Nadir) from their homes at the first gathering. You did not think that they would get out. And they thought that their fortresses would defend them from Allah! But Allah's (Torment) reached them from a place whereof they expected it not, and He cast terror into their hearts, so that they destroyed their own dwellings with their own hands and the hands of the believers. Then take admonition, O you with eyes (to see).

Old 12-01-2015, 09:45 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,644,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AayanKhan View Post
Terrorism has no religion.
Religion [Islam] has terrorism.

Note verses in the Quran provided by Juju above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam