U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-15-2008, 12:01 PM
 
Location: egypt
1,215 posts, read 2,039,146 times
Reputation: 161

Advertisements

i argued many times in many forums about sharia in islam .
but all of them focused on why we impose islamic laws on nonmuslims
so i want for this discussion to be quite different here

my question is , if sharia law not contradict with commands of God of other relegions , why you deny it ?
is it because it's islamic ? or because it's issues oppose your relegion ?


so, what do you think sharia is ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2008, 12:14 PM
 
8,180 posts, read 11,288,376 times
Reputation: 2880
I would say that I am against Sharia Law as I find it inhumane.
The penalties for women are especially harsh, even more so when you consider that men get off so much easier. And there is a lot of room built into Sharia Law for men to twist it to their advantage. Stoning women? Burqas? Hanging gays? No, to me it isn't that it is Islam based or even that infidels (like myself) would probably be killed under Sharia Law, I dislike it because it is unfair and brutal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2008, 12:48 PM
 
Location: egypt
1,215 posts, read 2,039,146 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I would say that I am against Sharia Law as I find it inhumane.
The penalties for women are especially harsh, even more so when you consider that men get off so much easier. And there is a lot of room built into Sharia Law for men to twist it to their advantage. Stoning women? Burqas? Hanging gays? No, to me it isn't that it is Islam based or even that infidels (like myself) would probably be killed under Sharia Law, I dislike it because it is unfair and brutal.
but punishment for men and women are the same in islam , why did you think that it's for men advantage ?
buraq ? no relations between it and sharia
hanging gays ? it's sin under sharia but its punishment not determined in quran or sunna , so it leaved for the schoolars to determine it , but it isn't a death , beside it will be need four witness to excute the punishment , we didnt need for these behaviour to spread in the society of muslims .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2008, 01:33 PM
 
8,180 posts, read 11,288,376 times
Reputation: 2880
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
but punishment for men and women are the same in islam , why did you think that it's for men advantage ?
buraq ? no relations between it and sharia
hanging gays ? it's sin under sharia but its punishment not determined in quran or sunna , so it leaved for the schoolars to determine it , but it isn't a death , beside it will be need four witness to excute the punishment , we didnt need for these behaviour to spread in the society of muslims .
I can appreciate a moral code. I have said before and I say again that I wish the US would scale back from all of the sex and violence satuarating our society.
What I mean by that men have it easier then women under Sharia Law (and please correct me if I'm mistaken) is that a womans word is not as good as a mans. Regardless of situation or station in life. An example would be that a woman would need 3 or 4 witnesses to her rape in order to prosecute the rapist. And if believed, she will still be punished! That is not right. Also, I don't like that under Sharia Law a man has the right to beat his wife. That is just wrong, and surely you can see where such a law could be taken to its extreme?
Perhaps this is not an example of Sharia Law and if it isn't, please correct me.....but the pictures of children having their arms crushed as punishment for stealing....

In thinking more about it, it isn't so much the actual laws that I find offensive(although there are a few that I find quite offensive), it is the brutality shown to those who break the laws. No mercy shown and no quarter given. These things together make me think that living under Sharia Law would be very stressful and frightening. How easy for a jealous neighbor to accuse your wife of adultery, or your son of stealing. Too much meaness, not enough forgiveness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2008, 01:48 PM
 
62 posts, read 173,577 times
Reputation: 33
If I'm in a Muslim country and I don't want to follow Allah, I want to follow anyone but him, what happens to me?

I understand that this example is a few years old, but the mentality is still the same.

Afghanistan, August 24, 2001 - "Seven months ago, Taliban leader Mullah Muhammad Omar declared over Radio Shariat that the death penalty would be imposed on any Afghan who converted to Christianity or Judaism, and that "any non-Muslim found trying to win converts will also be killed." A senior spokesman for the regime elaborated on the January 8 edict, alleging that "certain foreigners" in the country were trying secretly to convert Afghans to Christianity."

Has this mentality changed?
Why can't Muslim country's tolerate Christianity? What are they afraid of?

Have you seen this type stuff?
http://www.faithfreedom.org/Articles...Ahmed41220.htm

If I had an actual sharia law book I'm sure we'd see more stuff like this. If this stuff is just from wacky mis-guided type of people, please set me straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2008, 02:10 PM
 
Location: South Central PA
1,562 posts, read 3,905,065 times
Reputation: 361
The reason I'm against sharia law is because it's their life and it's their right to do what they want. If they don't want to follow it, then that's their wish and someone else's views of what they should do with their life or body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2008, 04:56 AM
 
Location: egypt
1,215 posts, read 2,039,146 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
What I mean by that men have it easier then women under Sharia Law (and please correct me if I'm mistaken) is that a womans word is not as good as a mans.

Regardless of situation or station in life. An example would be that a woman would need 3 or 4 witnesses to her rape in order to prosecute the rapist. And if believed, she will still be punished! That is not right.
Islamic legal scholars interpret rape as a crime in the category of Hiraba. In ‘Fiqh-us-Sunnah’, hiraba is described as: ‘a single person or group of people causing public disruption, killing, forcibly taking property or money, attacking or raping women (hatk al ‘arad), killing cattle, or disrupting agriculture.’

The famous jurist, Ibn Hazm, had the widest definition of hiraba, defining a hiraba offender as: ‘One who puts people in fear on the road, whether or not with a weapon, at night or day, in urban areas or in open spaces, in the palace of a caliph or a mosque, with or without accomplices, in the desert or in the village, in a large or small city, with one or more people… making people fear that they’ll be killed, or have money taken, or be raped (hatk al ‘arad)… whether the attackers are one or many."

Rape as hiraba is a violent crime that uses sexual intercourse as a weapon. The focus in a hiraba prosecution is the accused rapist and his intent and physical actions, and not second-guessing the consent of the rape victim. Hiraba does not require four witnesses to prove the offense, circumstantial evidence, medical data and expert testimony form the evidence used to prosecute such crimes.

Quote:
Also, I don't like that under Sharia Law a man has the right to beat his wife. That is just wrong, and surely you can see where such a law could be taken to its extreme?
Perhaps this is not an example of Sharia Law and if it isn't, please correct me.....but the pictures of children having their arms crushed as punishment for stealing....
man hasn't right to beat his wife at all , islam respect the women and give her her rights, you must inform me an example for beating the women under sharia.
beside you must know that men have rights from women as women have rights from men , you must know the rights which islam give to women and rights which gaved to men also before judging in this issue.

about punishment of children , i don't think that childrens are being punished under sharia

Quote:
it is the brutality shown to those who break the laws. No mercy shown and no quarter given. These things together make me think that living under Sharia Law would be very stressful and frightening. How easy for a jealous neighbor to accuse your wife of adultery, or your son of stealing. Too much meaness, not enough forgiveness.
as you said , brutality shown to those who break the law , it's not shown to nonmuslims and not shown to the soceity

about the mercy , it's exist in sharia . but the only one who can give this mercy is the person be harmed by the guilty one
Quote:
How easy for a jealous neighbor to accuse your wife of adultery, or your son of stealing. Too much meaness, not enough forgiveness
he must have 4 witness to claim the adultery on anyone , if he havn't witnesses , so he himself will be bunished

from quran
4 - And those who launch a charge against chaste women, and produce not four witnesses (to support their allegations), flog them with eighty stripes; and reject their evidence ever after: for such men are wicked transgressors;
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2008, 05:25 AM
 
Location: egypt
1,215 posts, read 2,039,146 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junos View Post
If I'm in a Muslim country and I don't want to follow Allah, I want to follow anyone but him, what happens to me?
nothing
Quote:
I understand that this example is a few years old, but the mentality is still the same.
never mind , ask as you want , you are wellcome as long you seek the knowledge
Quote:
Afghanistan, August 24, 2001 - "Seven months ago, Taliban leader Mullah Muhammad Omar declared over Radio Shariat that the death penalty would be imposed on any Afghan who converted to Christianity or Judaism, and that "any non-Muslim found trying to win converts will also be killed." A senior spokesman for the regime elaborated on the January 8 edict, alleging that "certain foreigners" in the country were trying secretly to convert Afghans to Christianity."
Has this mentality changed?
this mentality in the first place not exist in quran or sunnah (history of the prophet )
there is one hadeeth and only one , when our prophet said to his followers "who change his relegion kill him "
because of this hadeeth some muslims made conclusions that anyone apostate from islam must be die .
others said that it's not right , they said that this command was a reaction for specific situation , because in first years of islam jews were enter to islam one after another then suudenly they apostate together for spread doupts between new muslims , so that this hadeeth was a reaction for their actions
Quote:
Why can't Muslim country's tolerate Christianity? What are they afraid of?
i don't know what can i say ? i excuse you because these information are spreading widely in the west
but you can find many muslims countries lives in peace with christians

Quote:
Have you seen this type stuff?
http://www.faithfreedom.org/Articles...Ahmed41220.htm

If I had an actual sharia law book I'm sure we'd see more stuff like this. If this stuff is just from wacky mis-guided type of people, please set me straight.
it's not islamic site , if you wanna to know the right sharia search on islamic sites
if you have specific questions , i can help you

peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2008, 05:29 AM
 
Location: egypt
1,215 posts, read 2,039,146 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
The reason I'm against sharia law is because it's their life and it's their right to do what they want. If they don't want to follow it, then that's their wish and someone else's views of what they should do with their life or body.
i'm not sure if i understand your point , can you please clarify it to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2008, 05:29 AM
 
Location: An absurd world.
5,165 posts, read 8,263,793 times
Reputation: 2011
Why does Sharia upset me?

Hmm..I'm a Libertarian.

Enough said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top