Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 09:04 AM

33,525 posts, read 37,125,817 times

Advertisements

elwill, I owe you an apology...I have been misinformed, but through this conversation with you I have learned much. Even though I detest FGM I cannot put the blame entirely on Islam, although it seems that many Muslims have adopted the practice.

FGM: A cultural not a religious practice:

This mutilating operation is often associated mainly with the religion of Islam. This is incorrect. FGM is primarily a social practice, not a religious one. Female genital mutilation predated Islam. It originated in Africa and remains today a mainly African cultural practice. Some indicators of this are:
* It is widely practiced in countries where the predominant religion is Christianity: Examples are Ethiopia and Kenya.
* In multi-faith countries, it is often forced on girls whose families follow all faiths: Animism religions, Christianity, and Islam. For example, it is frequently practiced among both Muslims, Christians and Animists in Ethiopia, Eritrea, Sierra Leone, and Sudan. 1
* FGM was once practiced by Ethiopian Jews (a.k.a. Beta Isreal; formerly known by the derogatory term "Falashas"). 2, 3, 4.5 This practiced was apparently discontinued some time ago. A pediatrician who works in the Beta Israel community claims that they no do not practice FGM in Israel. Also, their daughters who were born in Ethiopia were not mutilated. 6
* FGM has spread to countries in or near Africa (e.g. Egypt) which are Muslim. But FGM is rare or nonexistent in many other Muslim countries. Examples are Iran, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, and Turkey. Also, It is not done in the Maghreb countries of Northwest Africa.
* FGM is only occasionally found in Indonesia and other predominately Muslim countries in Asia.

One of the motivations for this essay is the misperception by many people that the practice is a religious one. That belief has led to unjustified religious intolerance against Muslims.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/fem_cirm1.htm

Last edited by sanspeur; 12-14-2008 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: forgot link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 09:16 AM

790 posts, read 1,732,932 times
Quote:
is honor killing committed against males ?
i don't know? But if it isn't, why isn't it committed against males?

Old 12-14-2008, 01:51 PM

1,216 posts, read 2,263,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
elwill, I owe you an apology...I have been misinformed, but through this conversation with you I have learned much. Even though I detest FGM I cannot put the blame entirely on Islam, although it seems that many Muslims have adopted the practice.

FGM: A cultural not a religious practice:

This mutilating operation is often associated mainly with the religion of Islam. This is incorrect. FGM is primarily a social practice, not a religious one. Female genital mutilation predated Islam. It originated in Africa and remains today a mainly African cultural practice. Some indicators of this are:
* It is widely practiced in countries where the predominant religion is Christianity: Examples are Ethiopia and Kenya.
* In multi-faith countries, it is often forced on girls whose families follow all faiths: Animism religions, Christianity, and Islam. For example, it is frequently practiced among both Muslims, Christians and Animists in Ethiopia, Eritrea, Sierra Leone, and Sudan. 1
* FGM was once practiced by Ethiopian Jews (a.k.a. Beta Isreal; formerly known by the derogatory term "Falashas"). 2, 3, 4.5 This practiced was apparently discontinued some time ago. A pediatrician who works in the Beta Israel community claims that they no do not practice FGM in Israel. Also, their daughters who were born in Ethiopia were not mutilated. 6
* FGM has spread to countries in or near Africa (e.g. Egypt) which are Muslim. But FGM is rare or nonexistent in many other Muslim countries. Examples are Iran, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, and Turkey. Also, It is not done in the Maghreb countries of Northwest Africa.
* FGM is only occasionally found in Indonesia and other predominately Muslim countries in Asia.

One of the motivations for this essay is the misperception by many people that the practice is a religious one. That belief has led to unjustified religious intolerance against Muslims.

FEMALE GENITAL MUTILATION FEMALE (CIRCUMCISION) IN AFRICA, MIDDLE EAST AND FAR EAST
thank you for ending the discussion with these kindly words , and i'm very happy from the fruits and knowledge we exchanged from this discussion

peace

Old 12-14-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
i don't know? But if it isn't, why isn't it committed against males?
my personal thoughts is
because committing adultery by males dosn't bring the shame for the family as females

females looses thier virginity and bear childrens when they commit such behaviour without marriage

so that the situation is most sensitive according to females

Old 12-14-2008, 04:21 PM

790 posts, read 1,732,932 times
Quote:
because committing adultery by males dosn't bring the shame for the family as females

females looses thier virginity and bear childrens when they commit such behaviour without marriage

so that the situation is most sensitive according to females
but males can lose their virginity and become fathers, too? I guess it's just plain sexism.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:27 PM

It is pretty well know that Muslim women are oppressed...Islam is a patriarchy.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
It is pretty well know that Muslim women are oppressed...Islam is a patriarchy.
our women dosn't complain

Old 12-14-2008, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
but males can lose their virginity and become fathers, too? I guess it's just plain sexism.
i meant hymen

you can't imagine different cultures

the adultery is very sinfull behaviour in our society
imagine then the father suddenly find out that his daughter pregnant !!!!!!!!!

Old 12-14-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
our women dosn't complain
They probably don't dare to complain.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
They probably don't dare to complain.
you are very kind to take the responsibility to complain instead of them
thank you very much for your kindness
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam