Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 06:04 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Given all of the events that have happened in the last few years, I can't understand why these folks don't try to blend in and look like everyone else in this country. It seems arrogant to me to dress like that when this country is welcoming them here. If I chose to live in a new country, I would eventually adapt to their customs and try to assimilate. Why don't the Muslims do the same?
Which women in this country shall you decide the muslims dress like? The Amish who dress for modesty and respect (like the muslim women) or shall you decide that they dress like a prostitute? Or shall you decide they should dress like gothic teenager? Or she dress like your grandmother?..Point is if you told her to dress like American women, she would be very confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 07:33 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Which women in this country shall you decide the muslims dress like? The Amish who dress for modesty and respect (like the muslim women) or shall you decide that they dress like a prostitute? Or shall you decide they should dress like gothic teenager? Or she dress like your grandmother?..Point is if you told her to dress like American women, she would be very confused.

You are being unreasonable. The answer is that the muslim girl should dress like everyone else in her peer group. I wish that we could hear from an actual muslim so that she could say why she dresses that way when she is sure to be given a double take. Why don't they leave their old world customs back in their old country?

Old 05-03-2007, 07:47 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Quote:
You are being unreasonable. The answer is that the muslim girl should dress like everyone else in her peer group. I wish that we could hear from an actual muslim so that she could say why she dresses that way when she is sure to be given a double take. Why don't they leave their old world customs back in their old country?
Thank you, I asked for your answer and got more.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:58 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,254,417 times
I don't understand why you have a prob with muslim women's cultural attire yet you're okay with the jews or any number of other examples ppl have mentioned.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:54 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
Quote:
Again, what should a Muslim teenage girl dress like? Like a cheerleader? Like an emo chick? Like a goth? Like a farmer's daughter? Like an inner-city girl? Like an athlete? Or like an observant Muslim teenage girl? Nobody leaves their "old world customs back in their old country." They're part of everyone's identity.

I've never done something as brave as moving halfway around the planet to start a new life. I imagine people who do have a lot to think about. You want to be accepted and welcomed, and also being in such a different place I imagine you'd want to hold on to some of the things that are familiar and comfortable. Cultural customs (including religion and dress) are some of those things.

Many Muslim women do not feel comfortable showing their hair. That's their custom. That's what they believe and that's their identity. When they arrive in New York or wherever, will that instantly change?

Yet again, the United States is a place where people from all over the world come to start new lives for themselves and their families. We're a mix of people from all over the planet who have different customs, different histories, different religious beliefs, and different styles of clothing. And it all works! IMO, that's one of the greatest and most beautiful things about this country.

If you want everyone to dress exactly the same, act exactly the same, speak exactly the same, do their hair exactly the same, listen to the same music, eat the same food, live in the same type of house, etc. America probably isn't the best place for you. We complain about US cultural homogenization, but we're still very much individuals.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:58 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
I don't understand why you have a prob with muslim women's cultural attire yet you're okay with the jews or any number of other examples ppl have mentioned.

i live in san antonio and don't see any orthodox, amish, etc. when i lived in los angeles, i did see orthodox jews. it's cool b/c they are clearly doing it for worshipping purposes, walking to temple, etc, not in-your-face 24-7 lie the muslims. i mean i've seen these women wearing stinky gowns washing themselves in the mens' restroom where they had no business. i really freaked out when i saw one of them wearing that hejab-jebee cashiering at the local target, acting like it was so normal. you know, if they want to live here so badly, why don't they dress like everyone else?

Old 05-03-2007, 09:16 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
Quote:
i live in san antonio and don't see any orthodox, amish, etc. when i lived in los angeles, i did see orthodox jews. it's cool b/c they are clearly doing it for worshipping purposes, walking to temple, etc, not in-your-face 24-7 like the muslims. i mean i've seen these women wearing stinky gowns washing themselves in the mens' restroom where they had no business. i really freaked out when i saw one of them wearing that hejab-jebee cashiering at the local target, acting like it was so normal. you know, if they want to live here so badly, why don't they dress like everyone else?
Obviously you are one of the people that puts a bad taste of America in the rest of the world's mouths. What has made America so great is it's cultural melting pot. A century or more ago when the Italians, Chinese, Jews, Irish etc.. all came to America they brought their cultures with them. For a while they stayed in their own burroughs particularly in NYC but over time it was the acceptance of different nationalities that made this country so great. Maybe you should open up your eyes and mind to the great cultural experiences that this country has instead of shunning it.

I apologize to you if not all of our great grandfathers came from England, became slave owners, and passed their prejudices down for generations to make you feel the way you do.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:19 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
wehotex, you really don't get out much, do you. Ever been to a REAL orthodox Jewish community? or a Hasidic Jewish community?

Get a load of these Hasidic Jews who live in Williamsburg, Brooklyn

^they dress like that every day, all day, and they're in hundreds of communities across the country. Is that a problem too??

Old 05-03-2007, 09:25 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,254,417 times
Quote:
i live in san antonio and don't see any orthodox, amish, etc. when i lived in los angeles, i did see orthodox jews. it's cool b/c they are clearly doing it for worshipping purposes, walking to temple, etc, not in-your-face 24-7 like the muslims. i mean i've seen these women wearing stinky gowns washing themselves in the mens' restroom where they had no business. i really freaked out when i saw one of them wearing that hejab-jebee cashiering at the local target, acting like it was so normal. you know, if they want to live here so badly, why don't they dress like everyone else?
Again, you have a problem with one particular race and their customs and beliefs but not another. You still make no sense but I guess you have your opinions and the rest of us have ours.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:08 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,720 times
Please stay on thread and respect the OP's question.

Hoosier_guy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam