Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 12:08 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
It's basically their way of determining whether you are fit to work for the orgnaization. I'm not advocating or siding with the methodology. And you have every right to ask for the same thing (however unrealistic that is..). And you are right, its not personal - that's where the issue lies usually. The organization is trying to make an objective decision (however wrong we may find that tactic) - but we're the ones that is making it personal (I doubt the HR/Hiring managers are doing this to make fun of the applicant's credit/personal difficulties). If you don't like the tactics, don't work for them. Simple as that.

As for making it illegal - it comes down to each side trying to protect themselves. You can make this or that illegal - but in the end, the hiring companies will simply find another way to protect themselves.
Protect themselves from "what" exactly? How is the applicant's tax returns, paystubs, W2s or credit report their business when you're not dealing with cash?

Quote:
Which will ultimately make life even harder for job seekers - Imagine if an employer cannot ask any questions about their potential employees - what will that look like?
I'm sorry, but what was wrong with the "old" questions they were asking? The tax return, W2 and paystubs will reveal things that are none of the employer's business.

Why do they want to know what your past salary is if they already have a salary in mind to pay you? What's the need for this info? Why do they need to SEE your past or current salary history?

No one has given a good reason for this here or ANYWHERE on the web. One poster said that after she complied with their request for this info they lowballed her on her salary.

See? This is why advocate "fake" documents to nosey employers.

The ones who are this intrusive DESERVE it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 12:16 PM

763 posts, read 2,604,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Protect themselves from "what" exactly? How is the applicant's tax returns, paystubs, W2s or credit report their business when you're not dealing with cash?
This is exactly what I'd like to know!!

Quote:
I'm sorry, but what was wrong with the "old" questions they were asking? The tax return, W2 and paystubs will reveal things that are none of the employer's business.

Why do they want to know what your past salary is if they already have a salary in mind to pay you? What's the need for this info? Why do they need to SEE your past or current salary history?

No one has given a good reason for this here or ANYWHERE on the web. One poster said that after she complied with their request for this info they lowballed her on her salary.

Credit scores are none of their business, either. The only reason they want to see them is to see what you left and if you're asking (in their opinion) for too much and try to lowball you.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
This is exactly what I'd like to know!!

Credit scores are none of their business, either. The only reason they want to see them is to see what you left and if you're asking (in their opinion) for too much and try to lowball you.
Of course it is KABurke!

Which is why (depending on my circumstances), I'll accept their offer, but still continue to look for another job and dump THEM with only a day's notice. Of course, I'm not going to list them on my resume or contacts when I do this either. This same company would probably leave me three sheets to the wind when they decide to dump ME anyway.

I remember reading an article about a woman that was hired permanently after working temp for them. Three months later they fired her for supposedly having bad credit when her job had nothing to do with cash. What's amazing is that this "same" firing happened right at the 90 day probationary mark AND you also know that they ran her credit as soon as they hired her. It doesn't take three months to get a report back on your credit.

I believe they KNEW they were going to fire her at the three month mark. They wanted her to do her extra best before giving her benefits or whatever else they were supposed to give her. She never should have trusted them, but this was three years ago before we found out how unscrupulous these companies are being now.

I'm going to do a google search on her case to see what happened in the end.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:49 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:

They want to protect from overpaying a resource, from hiring someone that can be a liability, or an outright criminal. We can debate the effectiveness of those tactics all we want, but as long as the employer thinks its effective - they can ask for it. Of course, they're only asking, and you can approve or decline said requests.

Is there really a "good" reason that will make you go "oh, okay"? I personally won't give my tax returns to any potential employers regardless of what reasons they have (luckly I've never had to provide any of those as a term of my employment). But I also understand because of my stance, there are certain organizations that I'll probably never work for.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:28 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
OP should have made a fake pay stub. It is not difficult and the rewards are great. When you give you current salary you are giving the company all the information they need to know exactly how much they can get away lowballing you on salary before you will reject their offer.

I've been interviewed over the years by countless two-faced, lying, slimeball, idiots and would have no compunction lying, forging, or anything to get what you are truely worth from them. There are no rules or decency on either side anymore.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:33 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I've been interviewed over the years by countless two-faced, lying, slimeball, idiots
And then once you finally land a job, you have to deal with these creeps every day!

Old 12-31-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
They want to protect from overpaying a resource, from hiring someone that can be a liability, or an outright criminal.
That's what a BACKGROUND check is for. To check criminal history.

We can debate the effectiveness of those tactics all we want, but as long as the employer thinks its effective - they can ask for it. Of course, they're only asking, and you can approve or decline said requests.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:09 AM

47 posts, read 191,320 times
Hi all.

OP here again.

Just wanted to give you all a brief update again.

I'm 6months in with my new company and everything is going great. I relocated from Los Angeles to San Francisco, moved in with my soon to be wife and enjoying life in NorCal.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:39 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,380,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Olson View Post
Hi all.

OP here again.

I'm 6months in with my new company and everything is going great. I relocated from Los Angeles to San Francisco, moved in with my soon to be wife and enjoying life in NorCal.
Wow, I love when people come back to update.

So are you with the company that asked for the stubs? Its going well?

Old 05-14-2013, 10:52 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Olson View Post
Hi all.

OP here again.

That's so awesome to hear! Congrats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search