Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2012, 12:09 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post
Pardon you?

My time is valuable to me, just as the employer's time is valuable to them. No one but me owns it, and no one owns me. This is not a purchase agreement; this is a working relationship. When employers stop thinking that they purchased you at some livestock auction and understand that respect is reciprocal, gotta give it to get it, then we can progress.

The last time I was kept waiting 15 minutes in a lobby was not some elaborately erected scheme to test my patience, it was plain lack of coordination between the two idiots that were interviewing me and they couldn't find each other even though they both requested the interview date/time. They were ...TEXTING EACH OTHER...back and forth - "where r u" - "interview is here" -- I watched. For 15 minutes.

While I was 'keeping it business-like' as you stated, I TEXTED my friend while I was alone, waiting in the lobby because I couldn't wait to inform her that once again, my interviewers were uncoordinated and late and oh, there was some employee riding by me in the main lobby on a razr-scooter and I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

And MY professionalism is in question. HA.

Respect goes two ways and anyone that does not understand/practice that is someone in which I would NOT want to work for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 12:44 PM

570 posts, read 1,729,883 times
good at interview is important, but overrate. IF you are good or have connection, you don't need interview. I always like to turn it around, I try to interview them, i try to qualify them.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:37 PM

88,582 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
You could have the best interviewing skills in the world ,but that doesn't matter today. Most companies are lazy and only want the experienced. It kills me how some retail center or grocery stores wants someone with at least 5 years of retail experience for the most basic job and little pay.

Just listen to one story. Some girl wasn't picked because she was texting prior to the interview??? That's very unfair to that girl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveNative View Post
Agreed.

As long as she wasn't being a nuisance or distracted when the recruiter called her name for the interview, I don't see a problem. Texting is simply a form of communication. Who knows what she was texting about. I text to my supervisors all the time and they do the same.
I believe you are referring to a post of mine. TEXTING wasn't the point.

She walked into the bank, plopped herself down in chair without announcing herself to anyone or speaking to anyone in the bank, and started texting. When a customer service rep came over and said, "May I help you?"--BECAUSE SHE HAS NO WAY OF KNOWING THIS SCHMOE SITTING THERE TEXTING IS THERE FOR AN INTERVIEW--the girl said, "I'm just waiting for my interview" and went back to texting.

Do you people not read? Your response is inane, blkgiraffe, since my daughter, WHO HAD NO EXPERIENCE IN BANKING EITHER, got the job simply because she walked in, dressed appropriately, and spoke nicely to the first person she saw and introduced herself.

It's no wonder so many people are unemployed. This is basic, fifth-grade stuff.

At any rate, even if you do announce yourself properly and have to wait, do you really think texting while waiting for an interview is a good idea? I would think "immature" and "not really interested in the position" if I saw a candidate texting while waiting for an interview. Grow up. It's not a joke, not a game, not a time to be talking to your friends.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:52 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I believe you are referring to a post of mine. TEXTING wasn't the point.

She walked into the bank, plopped herself down in chair without announcing herself to anyone or speaking to anyone in the bank, and started texting. When a customer service rep came over and said, "May I help you?"--BECAUSE SHE HAS NO WAY OF KNOWING THIS SCHMOE SITTING THERE TEXTING IS THERE FOR AN INTERVIEW--the girl said, "I'm just waiting for my interview" and went back to texting.

Do you people not read? Your response is inane, blkgiraffe, since my daughter, WHO HAD NO EXPERIENCE IN BANKING EITHER, got the job simply because she walked in, dressed appropriately, and spoke nicely to the first person she saw and introduced herself.

It's no wonder so many people are unemployed. This is basic, fifth-grade stuff.

At any rate, even if you do announce yourself properly and have to wait, do you really think texting while waiting for an interview is a good idea? I would think "immature" and "not really interested in the position" if I saw a candidate texting while waiting for an interview. Grow up. It's not a joke, not a game, not a time to be talking to your friends.

I saw this and started laughing because two weeks ago at my interview while I was waiting I started texting. Then said to myself "I better put this phone away because I don't know when that person can walk out and call my name"

I started feeling strange sitting there texting while waiting to be called for a interview. So I agree with you no one should be texting while they are waiting to be called.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:40 PM

49 posts, read 162,916 times
Sometimes, you do everything right and there is just another applicant who is more qualified then you are.

When I was in undergrad, there were two gentlemen in my field who were one year ahead of me. The three of us would work together on things and took many classes together. When we were all still underclassmen, we'd apply to the same internship programs. They would always get offers; I would not. Why? Because they were smarter than me.

Fast forward a few years, they are looking for full-time offers and I am still looking for an internship for one more year. Suddenly, I am now the top candidate for the internships and the offers start coming in.

Now in my final year of school, I was at a group interview a few weeks ago. All of the people (about 40) were interviewing for various positions across the company. All these people had already passed first round interviews, so they were all plenty smart and qualified. There was one gentleman there who was applying for the same position I was. He was smart, but we were not equals. I'd have to lose my MS degree, three industry certifications, and two years of internship experience for us to be considered equal.

Again, he was a smart guy who dressed professionally and did everything right. There was just someone more qualified than him there.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:57 PM

225 posts, read 344,641 times
Just wait until you get lots of experience and are really good at what you do; interviewers will start telling you that you are over qualified. No matter how much I "dummied down" my resume, or how much I really wanted to work there (like a bookstore or an antique store), I was turned away because they thought I'd be bored. I didn't even care how much money I'd make. I just wanted to be around books and antiques, so I could help people and immerse myself in the things I loved.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:09 PM

It also occurred to me that they might want to know what you're doing in your spare time. If you are texting before the interview, will you try to squeeze online to check your e-mail or sign onto FB or other social media during the day?? Employers don't like that at all .

Old 12-12-2012, 10:32 PM

Thumbs up We Are Only Trying to Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I think you are very behind the times. Most jobs today allow personal calls, flexible work schedules, etc. Companies that do not allow employees to do anything personal on the job are very rapidly losing the best and the brightest. I have seen dozens of extremely bright people leave companies because the company had a policy just for the sake of having a policy (aka, no facebook at work, etc). Every person has a job to do. The best organizations judge their employees based on performance and results, not on the work it took to get there. Your attitude is the type that creates organizations where people simply pretend to work to get through the day. I imagine you have quite a few people at your company sitting at their desk looking busy, but not really doing a whole lot, since you seem to value the appearance of being busy more than real productivity.
Wow....hmmmm; I don't know about that. Until 2006, I worked on deadlines for over 10 years, sometimes 24 hours at a time. I very rarely had any spare time; let alone time to sign on to any email accounts. I couldn't accept personal phone calls, and only upper management was allowed to use cell phones. We had 24 very hard working people and I don't think we did too bad.

It might also be that all of us (except 1) were over 40 at that time. You seem to be presuming that you are talking to a younger audience. I think you are getting "grown up" advice (because we've been there) because we are honestly trying to help. What you do with the advice is up to you. We obviously can't make you do anything.

I don't understand why there is all this back and forth? The link asks: Why don't most people know how to job hunt and interview correctly?

We're just providing reasons to help the interview process work in your favor.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:56 AM

88,582 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I saw this and started laughing because two weeks ago at my interview while I was waiting I started texting. Then said to myself "I better put this phone away because I don't know when that person can walk out and call my name"

I started feeling strange sitting there texting while waiting to be called for a interview. So I agree with you no one should be texting while they are waiting to be called.
Of course not. Think of it this way--texting replaced phone calls. Would you sit there and make a personal phone call while waiting for an interview? Of course not.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:34 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp-D-Derp View Post
Wow....hmmmm; I don't know about that. Until 2006, I worked on deadlines for over 10 years, sometimes 24 hours at a time. I very rarely had any spare time; let alone time to sign on to any email accounts. I couldn't accept personal phone calls, and only upper management was allowed to use cell phones. We had 24 very hard working people and I don't think we did too bad.

It might also be that all of us (except 1) were over 40 at that time. You seem to be presuming that you are talking to a younger audience. I think you are getting "grown up" advice (because we've been there) because we are honestly trying to help. What you do with the advice is up to you. We obviously can't make you do anything.

I don't understand why there is all this back and forth? The link asks: Why don't most people know how to job hunt and interview correctly?

We're just providing reasons to help the interview process work in your favor.
I am not assuming that I am talking to a younger audience. I have been in a management position for quite some time now, so you don't have to talk down to me about 'grown up advice'. If you look at the research done on the idea of granting more flexible schedules, it has been proven time and time again that giving employees flexible schedules does not enhance or detract from performance in terms of output on any given day, but it does reduce days called off (sick days as well as personal days) as well as reduces employee turnover. So are you really saying that you disagree with something that has been proven to keep your employees in the office more days in a given year as well as keep your good employees from jumping ship as often?

Or do you just not actually educate yourself on how to be a better leader? I don't understand why we have this back and forth either. It is obvious you don't put any effort into further education for yourself on the best proven techniques for a manager, which is directly related to why people don't know how to job hunt and interview correctly. Like you, they trust their 'personal experience' (as wrong as it might be) instead of investing time into a real education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search