Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 03:37 PM

41 posts, read 42,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrel16567 View Post
I don't think someone who is unemployed should ever tell a employer "can I have some time to think about it?" Why say something like that when you are trying to re-enter the workforce? Even if the OP wasn't that excited about she should have atleast tried to secure a start date so that she would have one job in the bag.
You don't get it. That's ok. Have a good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 03:52 PM

2,704 posts, read 2,771,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie233 View Post
You don't get it. That's ok. Have a good one.
What's not to get?

You burned a potential bridge. Usually it's easier to get another job while you're working.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:56 PM

38 posts, read 39,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
What's not to get?

You burned a potential bridge. Usually it's easier to get another job while you're working.

The only time I would tell a employer I need to think about it is if I already had a offer letter from another job with a scheduled start date

Old 01-16-2016, 04:55 PM

11,658 posts, read 12,744,641 times
Often, the employer offers for the candidate to take a couple of days to think about the offer. It happened to me last time and it's happened before. I was honest and told her that I had a couple of other interviews during the next couple of days.

Just because you have been out of work for a little while does not mean that you forgot all of your skills, especially administrative assistant skills. You still might have to learn a specific application that is company specific no matter what your experience is. The OP might already know her value and worth in this job market, which is why she wasn't going to jump on a job with no benefits. The offer was an hourly salary, probably not much more than minimum wage. To his credit, the employer was honest enough to tell her there would be no future raises and since it's a very small company, there are limited or no opportunities to move up. The idea that you start on a low pay scale and move up does not apply here. She stated that she already had plenty of experience. Might as well work in retail where you can get raises and places like Starbucks that does offer benefits. Glad the OP has another interview and I wish her lots of luck. You guys are thinking of her as some young woman who is just starting out. She stated that her husband is already well-established so I interpret that she is a "mature" lady and employees will see that when they meet her. The last person left because of "retirement" and that might be the age bracket that the employer is looking for, a married emptynester who has another 10 years or so to go before retiring.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrel16567 View Post
The only time I would tell a employer I need to think about it is if I already had a offer letter from another job with a scheduled start date
That might be necessary in your area where employment opportunities are limited or in your field which is very transient.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:59 PM

38 posts, read 39,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Often, the employer offers for the candidate to take a couple of days to think about the offer. It happened to me last time and it's happened before. I was honest and told her that I had a couple of other interviews during the next couple of days.

Just because you have been out of work for a little while does not mean that you forgot all of your skills, especially administrative assistant skills. You still might have to learn a specific application that is company specific no matter what your experience is. The OP might already know her value and worth in this job market, which is why she wasn't going to jump on a job with no benefits. The offer was an hourly salary, probably not much more than minimum wage. To his credit, the employer was honest enough to tell her there would be no future raises and since it's a very small company, there are limited or no opportunities to move up. The idea that you start on a low pay scale and move up does not apply here. She stated that she already had plenty of experience. Might as well work in retail where you can get raises and places like Starbucks that does offer benefits. Glad the OP has another interview and I wish her lots of luck. You guys are thinking of her as some young woman who is just starting out. She stated that her husband is already well-established so I interpret that she is a "mature" lady and employees will see that when they meet her. The last person left because of "retirement" and that might be the age bracket that the employer is looking for, a married emptynester who has another 10 years or so to go before retiring.
Well that's why she was able to say what she said because she has back up income. I know since I live alone I could not afford to mess up a possible job offer and would have to say "yes I'm interested".

Old 01-16-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
What's not to get?

In general, that is true, but it also depends on the job, the region, the industry and the person's skills.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post

Thanks. Great post. I'm 35 years old. I'm very happy I didn't take the job 😀

Old 01-16-2016, 05:17 PM

Thank you for the positive posts and private messages. I really appreciate it!! Some of you have really helped me.

Old 01-16-2016, 07:13 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,206,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decembergirl View Post
Most people do like to think about a job offer before taking it. That is not uncommon and it does not constitute turning the job down. If he had told her he needed someone right away and needed an answer right away otherwise he was going to have to continue with the process of finding someone and she agreed to still think about it then fine. He should have said something. To tell her she could have time to think it over and go to the next candidate is unprofessional in my opinion and the OP is better off not wasting her time with someone like that.
Exactly. Since the boss lied about this he no doubt would lie about many things. Clearly a person not to trusted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search