Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2010, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,648 times

Advertisements

Hey yall im from kansas and was raised on sweet tea hahaha!! im from the ICT and i have to say over the pat few years i have noticed te people here people who been here awhile to all thier lives with a little drawl...whether ks is south or not Idk but in southern ks the sotheren dialect is getin more pronunced shall I say
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 04:19 PM

378 posts, read 1,616,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scents4urnose View Post
Hey yall im from kansas and was raised on sweet tea hahaha!! im from the ICT and i have to say over the pat few years i have noticed te people here people who been here awhile to all thier lives with a little drawl...whether ks is south or not Idk but in southern ks the sotheren dialect is getin more pronunced shall I say
Maybe in rural areas, but in ICT, not really.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:13 PM

5,542 posts, read 9,437,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer88 View Post
While Oklahoma didn't officially exist during the civil war, it was a southern sympathizing region. So to me it's quite a bit more southern than Mid-Western. I grew up in Southeast Kansas about 25 miles to the OK boarder and While I do know a few folks that have a little twang in their voice as soon as you hit that OK State line you'll know. As for Kansas I'd say it's Midwestern in the Sub-Region of the Plains. But I am a geography guy and that's how I've learned it. I can see some characteristics of The West and Midwest with less of the southern influence to me. There is a southern influence to a degree in culture but I think that is primarily the hospitality and focus on family which I believe is also a general characteristic of the Frontier. In regards to Kansas being full of Yankees... Most Kansans are definately Yankees. We fought for the North as a free state and the only Confederates here were folks (Bushwackers) from "Missourah" who tried to influence elections provided by the Kansas Nebraska Act.

I just realized that this was a really old thread, but I'll go ahead and post my comment anyway. How did I stumble upon this? I do not know.
Interesting discussion.

You are quite correct about Oklahoma, Pioneer. In fact, the last battle of the Civil War occurred on Oklahoma soil (Doaksville) in which Stan Watie and the last of the Confederates surrendered to the Yankees.

The Census actually does an accurate job (I know, shocker) of placing Oklahoma (along with Arkansas, Louisiana, and Texas) in a subregion of the Greater South known as the West South Central. Oklahoma shares more cultural affinity with AR, LA, and TX as Kansas shares more cultural affinity to Midwestern Plains states such as Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, the Dakotas, etc.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:29 AM

12,882 posts, read 13,548,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Interesting discussion.

You are quite correct about Oklahoma, Pioneer. In fact, the last battle of the Civil War occurred on Oklahoma soil (Doaksville) in which Stan Watie and the last of the Confederates surrendered to the Yankees.

The Census actually does an accurate job (I know, shocker) of placing Oklahoma (along with Arkansas, Louisiana, and Texas) in a subregion of the Greater South known as the West South Central. Oklahoma shares more cultural affinity with AR, LA, and TX as Kansas shares more cultural affinity to Midwestern Plains states such as Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, the Dakotas, etc.
True ,
IMO except for the Black migration to Kansas most of the population seems to have migrated there from the North, Lawrence Kansas for example was settled by free staters from the North, Southeast Kansas as mentioned earlier has many towns named after towns in which the settlers came from in New York state, Buffalo, Oswego, Fredonia, and Dunkirk.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:02 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,172,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Interesting discussion.

I know we've had this discussion on the Oklahoma forum as well and just like there I will disagree with you that Oklahoma has more in common with Louisiana than Kansas but as always this may vary depending on your personal experiences. As far as if Kansas is the Midwest all signs point to yes.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:51 PM

5,542 posts, read 9,437,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
I know we've had this discussion on the Oklahoma forum as well and just like there I will disagree with you that Oklahoma has more in common with Louisiana than Kansas but as always this may vary depending on your personal experiences. As far as if Kansas is the Midwest all signs point to yes.
I probably should have qualified my speech some.

Just extreme northern Louisiana (definitely a large portion of Texas and Arkansas) share more cultural affinity with Oklahoma than Kansas.

Anyhow, the Census still does a decent job of pinpointing and associating the bulk of the West South Central states (OK, AR, TX, LA) together.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:05 PM

26,374 posts, read 46,217,550 times
The BLS does not place KS or MO in the Midwest division. They place them in the Mountain and Plains division with the regional office in Kansas City. The BLS Midwest states include: NE, SD, ND, MN, IA, IL, WI, IN, OH,and MI.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:56 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,136,679 times
I remember my "Kansas History" in the 4th or 5th grade quite well (mid 50s). Kansas was in the midwest, according to that little blue book. I was raised in NE Kansas. Yup. That was midwest all the way. Moved from there to Iowa -- not much difference. Then settled in Wyoming --totally west.

I spent a little time in South Dakota. The old timers there won't count "South Dakota" as where you're from; it's either "East River" or "West River". East River (east of Missouri) means you're a midwesterner -- a farmer. West River means you're a westerner -- a cowboy.

Travel I-90 across the state and you'll see the dividing line as clear as ink on paper. Draw a line south through Nebraska and Kansas and it pretty much holds. Yeah, officially Kansas is midwest, but who could call Dodge City a midwest town? Or the sand hills? No-sireee-Bob. Western Kansas is in the west -- cowboy hats, boots and all.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:26 AM

26,374 posts, read 46,217,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I remember my "Kansas History" in the 4th or 5th grade quite well (mid 50s). Kansas was in the midwest, according to that little blue book. I was raised in NE Kansas. Yup. That was midwest all the way. Moved from there to Iowa -- not much difference. Then settled in Wyoming --totally west.

I spent a little time in South Dakota. The old timers there won't count "South Dakota" as where you're from; it's either "East River" or "West River". East River (east of Missouri) means you're a midwesterner -- a farmer. West River means you're a westerner -- a cowboy.

Travel I-90 across the state and you'll see the dividing line as clear as ink on paper. Draw a line south through Nebraska and Kansas and it pretty much holds. Yeah, officially Kansas is midwest, but who could call Dodge City a midwest town? Or the sand hills? No-sireee-Bob. Western Kansas is in the west -- cowboy hats, boots and all.
That means that the Flint Hills of NE Kansas are much more "Western" than "Midwestern." Large cattle ranches predominate, population density is very low, the landscape is tallgrass to mixed grass prairie, and cowboy hats are common.

To me, the Midwest generally is much more dense in the rural areas with agriculture, manufacturing, and other industries coexisting. The Midwest also has more treed rural areas along with a relative lack of any irrigation of crops. Most rural counties in the Midwest have greater than 30-40 people per square mile while rural counties in the West generally have <10 people per square mile. Ranch and farm size in the West is generally substantially larger compared to the Midwest.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:01 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,293,556 times
The United States has the Northeast, Southeast, Southwest , Northwest and Midwest. Kansas is in the Midwest which I think is the best region of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas