Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 01:55 PM

29 posts, read 74,574 times

Advertisements

TennSr... thanks for the input. I shall do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 01:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,448 times
I am considering moving to Maryville after my daughter graduates in 3 years. I also have a special needs son with Down Syndrome and Autism that has behavior issues. He is 16. I was wondering if anyone knows someone who goes to the Everett Learning Opportunity Center in Maryville? I hear the schools are great there. How are the special ed schools?

Old 01-18-2009, 12:30 AM

6 posts, read 27,908 times
hello there i have lived in maryville for 20 yrs now , yes it has outgrown by leaps and bounds the roads. traffic is zip unless its christmas time. the roads are scary tho ,no shoulders and the traffic runs from congested side roads to take a chance on your life on alcoa hwy aka i kill ya hwy if you drive this road as long as i have you will learn but it is running the guantlet in the morning and at 3pm.otherwise it is a wondeful place to live and the schools are good and the crime is low. jobs are scarce around here now, but that is everywhere. i don't rent but myself i think it is high as a kite but when i rentedis was 250 300 a mon now it 800 to 900 and that is a house payment easy.good luck

Old 01-19-2009, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,399 times
Default Note from Maryville TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne1945 View Post
We, too, just visited M'ville this past weekend. What a relief from traffic as we usually face in the Orlando area! Also, what a difference when folks truly go out of their way to help, answer questions, show patience and courtesy. We WILL be calling M'ville home shortly.
Been my home for over 10 years... Love it Here! Traffic? 129 bypass (airport rd.) can be hairy during rush hour. Rent costs? Not bad at all. More expensive towards Townsend. Dollywood an hour away, the mountains, 20 minutes. You must drive Butterfly Gap Road sometime. It's a narrow twisting mountain rd. that goes up to a commumity called "Top 'O World"... beautiful lakes with houses and cabins, along with some dumps, but beautiful, none-the-less.

So I welcome you to the "Friendly side of the Smokeys"

Old 01-19-2009, 09:48 PM

253 posts, read 805,943 times
Default we live here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingaGal View Post
Aside from Daily News-Maryville, is there any other major media information online? Where can one browse for job openings in Maryville, and real estate?

Much thanks!
you will like maryville, its just right size, not to big, not to small, got everything you need, mall, target, 2 walmarts(ok ok, i know one is technacally in alcoa, but towns run side by side...lol) lowes, home depot and lots of eating choices, and when ya need a bit of bigger city, knox is like 15-20min down the road, back way to strawberry plains is same, and same goes for backway to sevierville area.
i skipped thru the tons of post, so im sure you have gotten all this already....lol, but its a great town, a gorgous greenway to walk on, coming from a bigger area, i live the fact that i dont have long lines at the stores, traffic to me is a breeze, rush hour in maryville is a breeze compared to knox or big cities that ive been to. i actually avoid the road going down past shoneys where to me that intersection is a bear at rush hours, if im going to alcoa to pick up hubby(truck driver) and i take the alcoa side and get right thru.
the schools are good, mine got to montvale and heritage, be forwarned, they require see thru or mesh backpacks here, i understand why(security) not that you need to worry, schools are safe, just a precaution alot of schools are doing now, but its a pain, every kids seems to have same back pack and kids hate it....lol
but they dont check the back packs at the entrance, and hubby used to be a cop, so can tell ya there is lots of places kids can hide things, back packs are not the issue there, so i dont really see the point in the back pack rule.
i personally not wild about the school bus my kids ride, but heritage is like a hour round trip from our house, where as montvale is right around the corner, so my kids do ride, but they tell me stories of cigs and dip and pills sold on bus, cussen, bullys and sex practically going on with the older teens way in th back...i wish they would hire younger drivers or add a second adult to oversee the kids in back to control it more. my kids just mind their own buisness and stay away from the back. nothing seems to be done about it.
i dont know about hospitol except for the person that picketed outside of it last summer....not sure why, maybe someone here knows.
rentals are higher then most knox areas, but if you work right here, ya kinda got to live close by, especially when gas hit 4-5 bucks a gal. most rentals require back ground and credit check, we rent from a landlord association, just be honest and dont hide info, honesty goes long way. but i still wish rentals was cheaper. Ive been told its all cuz of the big companies that moved here, brought in money and hence...rates went up, and was told maryville likes to keep rif-raf out...hence, why its a clean town, which we like, but alcoa is shutten down a plant, think rubbermaid shut down, densel(spell) is in a dry spell, but rental rates and utilites keep going up, makes no sense.
all in all...thou, we love maryville, close to it all....quiet, clean, friendly, a great place to raise a family. we hope you love it as well!!!
ps...try craigslist for rentals/homes for sale, alot there, otherwise, times are tough...most just put signs up(charge alot for place but cheap when it comes to ads...lol) so best bet is to drive around and check out areas, you will see signs all over. we live out montvale, and love it....montvale station is very nice and perfect acccess to park, over on other side of downtown, behind hospitol has some nice areas, there really isnt a bad side of town to live, thats whats great about maryville!!!!

Old 01-19-2009, 09:54 PM

253 posts, read 805,943 times
Default forgot about alcoa hywy...lol

saw another poster mention alcoa hywy(motor mile) OMG that has to be the scariest of roads ive ever been on!!! since i rarely got to knox....i dont take it often, but at times when i pick up hubby we eat lunch there, and i hate it...it so needs to be 4 lanes each way...with a solid turn lane on each side of both directions!!! you can come from maryville or knox, see little traffic, come over the hill either way and its like BAMM!!! you have no idea where they all came from...but they are there...bumper to bumper...fast as heck...tryen to turn off or get on...its a nightmare!!! i swear i white knuckle it every time and ive driven in big cities!!! you learn the ropes to it thou...fast, but its seriously needs to be re-done, as of yesterday.....lol

Old 01-21-2009, 04:22 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,511,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetasslady71 View Post
saw another poster mention alcoa hywy(motor mile) OMG that has to be the scariest of roads ive ever been on!!! since i rarely got to knox....i dont take it often, but at times when i pick up hubby we eat lunch there, and i hate it...it so needs to be 4 lanes each way...with a solid turn lane on each side of both directions!!! you can come from maryville or knox, see little traffic, come over the hill either way and its like BAMM!!! you have no idea where they all came from...but they are there...bumper to bumper...fast as heck...tryen to turn off or get on...its a nightmare!!! i swear i white knuckle it every time and ive driven in big cities!!! you learn the ropes to it thou...fast, but its seriously needs to be re-done, as of yesterday.....lol
LOL. My family calls me Mrs. Petty Actually, I love the adrenaline rush of driving in challenging traffic. Today I was on it twice and it was very lame and tame. It all depends on timing.

Now, on the other hand, I was on I-40 twice today and the one time I wanted to slit my wrists. Some dweebs had a fender bender and everyone had to rubberneck and nearly cause more wrecks. I wanted to say Drive People! It's like they've never seen a car on the shoulder before.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:38 PM

9 posts, read 22,604 times
LOVE Blount Memorial Hospital!!
I say this enthusiastically as a former employee and patient. As an RN, I worked at Blount for several years while in grad school. Subsequently I've been employed as a nurse practitioner at UT Medical Center. I love both hospitals but you cannot beat the professionalism and intimacy of Blount Memorial Hospital. Nursing and medical staff are amazing. Sometimes I think people feel they have to go to a big city hospital for the best care. While both hospitals are great, BMH gives great care in a smaller package.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,141 times
I have lived here in Maryville, for 46 years. I will probably be able to answer any questions you may have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygal View Post
Hi, I have some questions about Maryville, I am considering a transfer there. I am a little concerned about the traffic and the rental figures! Is there anyone out there that knows the area well that I could talk too!

Thank You

Old 04-11-2009, 07:23 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,511,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msclean3231 View Post
I have lived here in Maryville, for 46 years. I will probably be able to answer any questions you may have.
Hi and Welcome to the forum! We are neighbors, I am the same zip as you, and our birthdays are one day apart. So glad to have you on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville