Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 12:49 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Israel is another example. EVERY Jew in the world is in fact a "citizen" of Israel because that is Israeli law. Whether a jew actually ever goes to Israel or applies for an Israeli passport is beside the point. If you are a Jew, you considered to be a citizen of Israel regardless of where you are born or where you live in the world.
Every Jew is eligible to immigrate to Israel and become an Israeli citizen. A Jew becomes an Israeli citizen only if they immigrate to Israel. The exception to that is if a child has an Israeli parent than automatically gives that child Israeli citizenship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
It is also my understanding that any person born of a jewish mother, has similar rights to claim Israeli citizenship. I don't know if this is true, but I think it is.
Any person born of a Jewish mother is Jewish. Anyone who is Jewish is eligible to immigrate to Israel and become an Israeli citizen automatically after living 3 months in Israel.
Also any person who has one Jewish grandparent (grandmother or grandfather!) can apply to immigrate to Israel and therefore become an Israeli citizen automatically after living 3 months in Israel.
Any child born to Israeli parent (mother or father) automatically at birth is an Israeli citizen.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark-Baby View Post
I agree. I would also add that no person should be able to hold any political office, even dogcatcher, if they hold dual citizenships of any kind.
In Israel, Government/Cabinet ministers can't hold dual citizenship. (For example former Israeli Defense/Foreign Minister Moshe Arens, who had to give up his American citizenship in order to become Israel's Defense Minister in 1983.)

Old 01-07-2010, 01:10 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,160,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Any person born of a Jewish mother is Jewish. Anyone who is Jewish is eligible to immigrate to Israel and become an Israeli citizen automatically after living 3 months in Israel.
Also any person who has one Jewish grandparent (grandmother or grandfather!) can apply to immigrate to Israel and therefore become an Israeli citizen automatically after living 3 months in Israel.
Any child born to Israeli parent (mother or father) automatically at birth is an Israeli citizen.
I was for dual citizenship now I am against it because of a New Zealander who commited treason on behalf of Israel.
A Israeli government agency sent a couple of agents down to NZ to steal some of our passports, this Kiwi born New Zealander/Israeli decided it was a good idea to help them because he was of course an Israeli.

When the cops grabbed the agents this bloke ran away to Israel where of course he is safe from a charge of treason.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:04 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,430,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
Yes, we don't recognize dual citizenship in America. Other countries may recognize it, so when someone goes to THAT country, they are recognized as "dual citizens". But, not here.

That's not strictly true.

The US is very vague in it's laws regarding dual citizenship.
They recognise it exists but don't encourage it.

At the citizenship interview you are required to denounce alleigance to any other country, but that's as far as it goes.

Oh- and the poster who said they had to give up UK citizenship when they applied for a SSN must have been mistaken.

What many Americans don't realise is that for many PROFESSIONALS it's VERY difficult to get a visa for the US via employment, and that might be a non-immigrant visa. Green card is even more challenging and a lengthier process. You have to be a US GC holder for 5 years before you can apply for citizenship, and cannot vote or apply for certain jobs unless you're a citizen.

Maybe immigrants feel they have shown they are loyal to the US by going through this process and bringing their professional experience and money here.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:56 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I believe dual citizens should not just be looking for the benefits they hope to rake out of any and all of their countries they've obtained citizenship but they should also do something for their countries.

Too often it's all about what they can get not what they can do for their countries. They should pay dual taxes, have dual military service.
That made me lol, thanks for that

So you want me to work in country A) and pay income and other taxes here and in country B) pay taxes on my income and stuff that I earned in country A? Even though I may not have lived in country B) for 10+ years ?

You seem to be under some weird illusion that you can get and claim benefits in two countires just because you have dual citizenship :S I never claimed any benefits here, knor back home. But that probably does not matter when somebody such as yourself is trying to spew illogical statements like that.

Have you thought about what if country B does not have a military to speak of ?

Once again, thanks for the laugh. When I read your statement I was reminded of the Goobacks episode of SouthPark

Old 05-07-2011, 05:33 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,434,621 times
- agree with Brian !
What a view to look at things, and throw everything, and everyone in one bag ! Wow !
I've been in the US since the end of 1990, have a valid GC, and renew, faithfully, every 10 years ! Yes, I am sure, eventually, I will apply for dual citizenship. But right now, WHY should I ???
I am successfully employed, pay my taxes........and do everything "they", aka US government, want me to do ! I don't live in Germany any longer, but have my parents, siblings, niece, nephew etc. there ! So, WHY, in the right mind, would I chose to become a "foreigner" to the very same country I have strong ties and family in ?????
Not a chance in this world, nor in THIS lifetime !
The only thing I am not "allowed" to do currently is vote and conduct jury duty ! ......and I sometimes wonder, if that REALLY is such a "bad" thing and deal to have !!!!! Lmao

Old 05-08-2011, 08:51 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
That made me lol, thanks for that

So you want me to work in country A) and pay income and other taxes here and in country B) pay taxes on my income and stuff that I earned in country A? Even though I may not have lived in country B) for 10+ years ?

You seem to be under some weird illusion that you can get and claim benefits in two countires just because you have dual citizenship :S I never claimed any benefits here, knor back home. But that probably does not matter when somebody such as yourself is trying to spew illogical statements like that.

Have you thought about what if country B does not have a military to speak of ?

Once again, thanks for the laugh. When I read your statement I was reminded of the Goobacks episode of SouthPark
Every dual citizen I know only does it for what they can get out of it, none want to contribute to the two countries. They can earn big money out of one country, buy up land in the other - which means they unfairly compete with the citizens of the lower wage country.

It's never about contributing to two countries, having double military obligations, tax obligations.

I think all citizens of a country should be required to pay their fair share of taxes to maintain the country and if someone wants to belong to two countries, then they should have to support both.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,635 times
Dear Tom Lennox 70:

Let's get things straight. Does the status of dual nationality make sense when one of the two countries involved does not allow it? Of course not. Hence, you are basically saying that there shall be not dual nationals.

I think you are an ignorant. Go to Law school. The worst case is when there is a loophole in legislation.

For God sake, we live in a globalized world. Let those who are the most capable to get the best jobs and run politics.

It intrigues me that you place as examples Mexico, Israel and Central America. Are you a racist? If you are not an ignorant, then you are a racist.

Were you born in the US? But where were born your grand, grand parents?. I bet one of them was born outside the US. In that case, you better keep your thoughts for yourself.

Finally, your views are irrelevant. postulate your candidacy for the Sentate. Certainly, you will lose. At least I will not vote for you.

Regards,

Last edited by Mr. Vela; 05-12-2011 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: Typos

Old 05-14-2011, 10:40 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
Default Once indeed you had to choose....in the Commonwealth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
When one becomes 18 they should have to choose which nation they want to be citizens of.
Up until July of 1978 you indeed had to choose as an adult in Canada (actually the very month I came back to Canada) but the United States recognized "dual" citizenship PREVIOUS to 1776, when American children were born in Manhattan under British occupation.

The Continental Congress granted all children born in Manhattan under the occupation American citizenship, so the American tolerance for dual citizenship actually pre-dates the official founding date of the country!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration