Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2010, 02:24 PM

416 posts, read 698,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Would I? I'm not a teacher.

If you're asking me if I think that's what teachers should accept, I'd say no. I don't have a problem with their current set-up.

I'm trying to suss out if this is all about time and not service provided--how many hours and not the job that's done.
That is part of it - they are getting paid a full-time wage for a 75% time job. They also get full time benefits for a 75% time job. And there benefits are extremely expensive benefits that are only offered in rare circumstances in the private sector.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:06 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Let me ask you this: Do you favor school year-round?

I realize there are a lot of reasons for and against such a thing, but strictly with respect to teacher salaries, if teachers didn't have the summer "off," would it make a difference?

Or would they still be "overpaid?"
I'm all for year round school. A) then I wouldn't have any beef with the salaries and pay system and B) have you seen how dumb people in this country are? I think this country NEEDS year round school.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:13 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:

I did some volunteer work painting walls in one of the schools in PG County. You're talking bullet holes in the windows of kindergarten classrooms. That's one reason why there are housing breaks and incentives for cops to move into the neighborhoods.

Oops, yes, I just went there. I guess this means that the police and teachers on Long Island are in collusion, as clearly a safe atmosphere in which to teach children is an elitist privilege of the civil service. Those pesky unions are at it again.
You are missing the point.

The person I was answering used an article about the problems PG County has retaining teachers as "evidence" that teaching on LI is so hard that many will quit. LI and PGC are totally different animals and I am sure LI has no problem retaining its teachers like PGC do.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:22 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I'm all for year round school. A) then I wouldn't have any beef with the salaries and pay system and B) have you seen how dumb people in this country are? I think this country NEEDS year round school.

Just this statement makes me laugh A teacher on a year round schedule works the exact same amount hours as a teacher that works the traditional schedule. SAME AMOUNT OF TIME OFF Year round schools were started because of too many students not enough class room space. AND IT DOESN
'T work, 100's of lawsuits against it. To implement this on L.I. would make absolutely no sense, actually it would cost the tax payers more

Old 02-17-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegDrew View Post
I understand the concept just fine. You don't have to be condescending. It's a national statistic. I just picked the shortest article I found on google because, being a teacher, I'm aware of how short attention spans can be. Anyway, to find the statistics on Long Island, I'd have to search each district individually. The simple point I'm trying to make is that teaching is not easy. I never said other jobs were easy, but there is a misconception that teaching is a cakewalk.

I have no intention of putting down individuals in the private sector. I'm sure they work hard as well and have their own stress to deal with.

I don't think the intention of the thread is to compare careers, but to discuss teacher salary on the merits (or lack thereof depending on which side you're on) of the job itself.
My apologies, as I never said teaching was an "easy" job. I have a relative who spent 26 years doing it. It just isn't a cakewalk. I know that and so does anyone else (except maybe someone on C-D who posted in a previous thread about this that "Kids on LI would be successful even if a monkey in a bowtie was teaching them!").

As for that being a "national statistic" ... the article you linked to says, as a PRELUDE to discussing the problems of teachers in PGC:

Quote:
Teaching is an occupation with a famously high attrition rate. One figure often bandied about is that 50 percent of new teachers leave within five years. Other studies have shown it's not quite that dire, but turnover is still remarkably high.
No information on where they get their statistics. It looks rather vague to me, not a fact of any kind.

As for the unfootnoted statistic of a 50% attritution rate, note they do say NEW teachers and within 5 years. Who knows, maybe there is a 50% attritution rate for newbies in many industries and occupations within 5 years, either because of their own bad fit or incompetency or because they become interested in another profession.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:23 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Just this statement makes me laugh A teacher on a year round schedule works the exact same amount hours as a teacher that works the traditional schedule. SAME AMOUNT OF TIME OFF Year round schools were started because of too many students not enough class room space. AND IT DOESN
'T work, 100's of lawsuits against it. To implement this on L.I. would make absolutely no sense, actually it would cost the tax payers more
yeah but the salaries would at least be justified...b/c if they are getting paid for 12 months as it is, they should just work 12 months.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Let me ask you this: Do you favor school year-round?

I realize there are a lot of reasons for and against such a thing, but strictly with respect to teacher salaries, if teachers didn't have the summer "off," would it make a difference?

Or would they still be "overpaid?"
As for school year round, I don't know. Do you mean kids in school year round or a rotating school year with different long "vacation periods?" I am thinking of some school systems in NC who are so overcrowded that they stagger the major vacation period to two times a year (summer and another one) so they can fit more kids in the schools.

Please read what you quoted me on again for the answer to your last question:

Quote:
I don't advocate lowering salaries to fix the tax problems. Let teachers make the 21st century salary while they are working!

Old 02-17-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Bottom line for the forth time......

There is a huge difference between public/private workers. The benefits are one but a huge one at that. But this is nothing new I had many choices at a young age (20) and chose a career that had great benefits and a even better pension plan. I weighed out all my options and did what I felt was the right choice. I could have made more $ elsewhere but looking back, I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever. I have friends and neighbors now that make over 300k a year, good for them, it's their career and they choose it also.

Yes it would be perfect if you worked private and had public's benefits but this isn't a perfect world. When you are young and weighting out your options, didn't anyone consider this? They only time I get jealous is when I see a basketball player gets paid 30 Million and can't make 40% of his shots or a pitcher can't win 12 games for the 20 million you pay him!
How about if you work public with their benefits but have higher salaries than private?

Old 02-17-2010, 03:32 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
How about if you work public with their benefits but have higher salaries than private?
Then your doing alright but .....your taxes might increase lol

Old 02-17-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
I would hope that you equate teachers as much more educated and valuable than most hourly seasonal employees. Anyone with a business job I know is NOT an hourly employee. Nothing against people with hourly jobs...but I went to school to not be an hourly, seasonal employee and can't see how my teaching job has anything to do with that type of work???
Just pointing out that you and fastrudy, a supposed retired teacher who made the claim to be a "seasonal" employee, ARE very different than hourly and seasonal employees and are paid accordingly as year-round salaried employees. I am tired of the crying "We don't get paid for the summer!" It's not so. Your summer off is figured into your compensation so that you don't have to go on Unemployment Insurance or scramble for summer jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island