Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2016, 09:44 AM

205 posts, read 174,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Anybody reading this from LA is going to roll their eyes if this is Pacific Palisades. It's either all white, or has gang issues, can't be both in Los Angeles.

Plus, you have multiple people who are actually telling you different but you still bring up all these "people were staring" anecdotes. Even black people who live here from from ATL, the East Coast, are telling you differently but you insist your very few incidences is what it's like.

Kendrick Lamar and TDE will be doing another TDE christmas in Watts near the towers in December, maybe you should go.
Well of course I don't understand the intricacies of life in LA. Typically, from my knowledge and experiences in the NE, you are not going to see gang activity/markings in an affluent suburban area far from a city center. In NYC, everything is dense so crime levels differ on a block by block basis (when I was living there) so you may see graffiti a block away from a so-called "crime free" block.

Again, it all depends on where you live/work/play and past vs present scenarios. An old associate of mine who was born in and lived in South Central (and would tell us about the constant gang violence when he lived there). I understand that it may be very different there now due to gentrification. But things like location are going to make a huge difference. I haven't seen anyone discuss what areas of LA they live in or frequent. Are the areas they live in predominately Black, mixed or predominately White? Those things are going to make a difference. I did state that I had no issues in DTLA or Inglewood where there is a good mix of all cultures/ethnicities.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:52 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,795,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I'm not African. I am not or have any knowledge of whatever various tribes I am from. I follow no African traditions, African customs, etc. Somebody that just came here from Africa are African-Americans. I just stuck to black myself.
You do realize that "Black" indicates African origin, right?

Old 05-02-2016, 10:21 AM

27 posts, read 33,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoDC View Post
Well of course I don't understand the intricacies of life in LA. Typically, from my knowledge and experiences in the NE, you are not going to see gang activity/markings in an affluent suburban area far from a city center. In NYC, everything is dense so crime levels differ on a block by block basis (when I was living there) so you may see graffiti a block away from a so-called "crime free" block.

Again, it all depends on where you live/work/play and past vs present scenarios. An old associate of mine who was born in and lived in South Central (and would tell us about the constant gang violence when he lived there). I understand that it may be very different there now due to gentrification. But things like location are going to make a huge difference. I haven't seen anyone discuss what areas of LA they live in or frequent. Are the areas they live in predominately Black, mixed or predominately White? Those things are going to make a difference. I did state that I had no issues in DTLA or Inglewood where there is a good mix of all cultures/ethnicities.
For you they may make a difference, I was born and raised in the LA area that you visit from time to time. For me, I've been the "minority" in every part of LA/Orange County. Diversity can be what you make. Either you embrace it or you let it affect your everyday life. I chose the former subconsciously at a young age. If you truly need to be surrounded by others that look like you then it may be best you stay where you are. To each their own, i personally couldn't imagine only seeing one race everyday. That's the appeal of LA, along with the women, w**d and weather.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:36 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
I'm so confused. What obvious "racial tension" specifically is there in Los Angeles, or California???
There seems to be a lot of racial hate crimes in the LA region, according to the LA County Human Commission.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:41 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,993,497 times
Quote:

Finally a legitimate question.

I'm from Mid City Los Angeles, which is Central LA. Where I grew up was very mixed ethnically. My next door neighbors were white, opposite side were Latino, next them black, white. Across the street going left to right was Korean/Black, Latino, White/Black, Filipino, Black, Korean, White, Black, and so on... I loved growing up there. Now, a lot of LA county is not like this. The Central parts of L.A. tend to be the most integrated. My neighborhood today have seen more whites, and asians, but blacks still buy homes in my hood.

I never had a problem hanging around anywhere. I never had been rejected entry cause I was black anywhere or felt like anybody had a problem with me. This is going to be different for everybody obviously and what they perceive as racist. I guess I can tell you that if you never want to deal with any race other than black people. Stay Home.

Last edited by jamills21; 05-02-2016 at 10:55 AM..

Old 05-02-2016, 10:56 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
So, if Blacks can't even feel comfortable in Atlanta (which used to be the Black Mecca from what I heard) what areas are left? The suburbs are slowly decaying in a lot of areas as well. I'm dealing with this issue now in my neighborhood which is why I am looking for other areas to live. That is why Black people have to step up their entrepreneurial game and become business owners. Sad...
Cost of livong is going.up. Many Blacks are leaving as a result. Alot of Blacks who move to Georgia move to the suburbs. Many suburbs in metro Atlanta are majority Black, such as:
Powder Springs, Austell, Douglasville, Morrow, Lawrenceville, Stone Mountain, Redan, Lithonia, College Park, East Point, Fairburn.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:08 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
I checked the statistics for LA county. There are close to 857,000 Blacks in LA county. While Blacks aren't the largest ethnicity in the county, a large number of Blacks can be found.

It is a question of where they make up a majority and where Blacks are moving to within the county.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:21 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
It's all relative to one's experience, of course. I'm assuming that NYWriterdude still lives in NYC which has a HUGE AA/West Indian/West African/Afro Latino population so it can be a bit of a culture shock to transition down to only 9% AA in places like LA. Plus, NYC is much more dense so you will run into dozens if not hundreds of people of African descent on a daily basis during your commute, in the street and in the workplace. Of course, this is slowly changing but has been the case for at least the last seventy years in NYC (especially Brookyn/Harlem).
It was not a culture shock at all me going to Los Angeles. I loved it. I've been in many places in the nation and I'm not attracted to a place just because of the percentage of Black people.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:25 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
This thread has become muchado about nothing. Really the OP and NYtoDC have their opinions, and if you disagree with them, you disagree. And NYtoDC no one is forcing to move to Los Angeles and I doubt it matters to anyone if you like it or not. If you want to go, go. If not, don't.

It won't stop anyone else from doing whatever they do in regards to LA.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:25 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
You do realize that "Black" indicates African origin, right?
Yes and no but that's another deeper topic. I have my problems with "Black" as well. But I still prefer that to African-American. That's me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles