Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 11:00 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times

Advertisements

Lets see, relieved. It's going on Monday. No tree damage, house damage, raging wind here. I feel terribly sad for the five people who died north of here this weekend, but we just had some thunder and wind.

After a few years of living here and starting to put down roots, the whole not wanting to lose stuff again feeling is growing too, as I 'nest' again. Spring here is beautiful when we don't have storms. Since the future is slowly creeping back into life, I find that I care about what happens after its over...

Its so wierd to actually 'feel' again after having just lost the ability for so long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 07:44 AM

2,757 posts, read 4,002,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Lets see, relieved. It's going on Monday. No tree damage, house damage, raging wind here. I feel terribly sad for the five people who died north of here this weekend, but we just had some thunder and wind.

After a few years of living here and starting to put down roots, the whole not wanting to lose stuff again feeling is growing too, as I 'nest' again. Spring here is beautiful when we don't have storms. Since the future is slowly creeping back into life, I find that I care about what happens after its over...

Its so wierd to actually 'feel' again after having just lost the ability for so long.
You have a beautiful writing style here. The words flow, and I relate to what you're saying.

Hope that you'll find what you need, and get what you want.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:01 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,318,139 times
lubby...Great that you and your friend are so close and have so many interests in common...One of my longtime friends drove up to see me yesterday and it was "heaven!"...My friend knows me really well and we always have fun together and can talk "non-stop" for hours on end!...Sometimes I end-up feeling a little "lonely" with friends here in my local area. They are all "nice people!" But we just have different "ways."...It sure felt good to be with my longtime and "out of the area" friend yesterday! (Because we are a lot "alike!") Is this how you feel with your friend too? Thanks!

Old 04-16-2012, 08:10 AM

nightbird47...Glad you're okay. Sorry about the people near you who died. Guess you had some pretty bad tornadoes all around you. Spooky!...Good that you are able to "feel again." And want to put down "roots." Thanks for posting.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:29 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
What I feel is contentment, and that is more or less how I feel most of the time - though not always, of course. It is mostly severe illness that disturbs this, and requires me to be vigilant about my emotions running amok.

I'm 74 and have two major health problems, one of which will probably kill me within the next five years at the most, and the other which is not life-threatening but it physically dominates my life and gives me a gamut of physical life ranging discomfort to strong pain and requires that I walk using Canadian canes.

However, I live in very beautiful small city, eat out every day at a restaurant overlooking the sea, have a very small number of extremely close friends. I have tons of books, about 1,000, and nearly as many CD's....these cover a multitude of subjects, types, etc., and both are a constant source of new projects. My friends are intelligent and intellectually active people, and I love pursuing new knowledge, whether it's how Chinese ideographs are written or learning a new language. I have a computer, which allows me to supplement all the books and music of my own, to keep in touch with friends who are far away, and to read C-D forums and appreciate how much more settled in body and mind I am than most people.

My interest in politics has reached about zero because of the foaming-at-the-mouth attitude and pervasive nuttiness that has become the norm in American life.

I have my own "spiritual" discipline and support; however, it is personal and I do not feel the need to foist it off on others or bring it up for discussion all the time. And I avoid all religious proselytizers of any stripe.

Life only goes in one direction and the majority of problems seem to be caused by feelings that are habitually inappropriate or chronically out of control, so keeping life simple and having gratitude for the multitude of small things that make life beautiful, pleasant or easier is essential.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:02 AM

kevxu...Thanks for posting. Just left you rep!...Really admire your attitude about life and the way you "count your blessings" despite it all!...Having "mental stimulation" is really important to me too. (Whether it comes from lively and interesting discussions with friends or from books or anywhere!)...Some people measure their "gains" and "profits" in life by the size of their bank account or all that they "own" in the way of material possessions etc...But to me it's always been about "learning more" and "seeing more" each and every day!...I have "invisible notches" on my wall to measure and chart my "growth!" What did I learn about myself and others and human nature in general today?...Did I see or experience something that caused me to open-up my mind a little "wider?" Or encounter a situation that "shook-up" my longheld beliefs?...Anyway thanks for sharing! Your life sounds great! I admire the way you "count your blessings" despite your medical conditions.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:05 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
lubby...Great that you and your friend are so close and have so many interests in common...One of my longtime friends drove up to see me yesterday and it was "heaven!"...My friend knows me really well and we always have fun together and can talk "non-stop" for hours on end!...Sometimes I end-up feeling a little "lonely" with friends here in my local area. They are all "nice people!" But we just have different "ways."...It sure felt good to be with my longtime and "out of the area" friend yesterday! (Because we are a lot "alike!") Is this how you feel with your friend too? Thanks!
I feel the same way about her as you do with your friend. It feels like we were never apart. I have never asked what happened and why we were apart for 12 years.I know her mom got sick with cancer in 2008 and died last year and it was a rough road for her.But before that I do not know and I don't care. When I saw her for the first time in January It was like I saw her the week before. I am sure when she is ready to tell me she will and if not that's ok too. She has a younger sister and brother both married with one kid each and they are close but we both agreed we are more like sisters than friends and she really needs that right now. It's still a shock that her mom is gone. She has her own house about 25 minutes from me and she was married breifly but does not discuss who it was with or why it ended. She has been opening up alot to me about her life and I am sure in time she'll tell me more. She's always telling me she's lonely. So I tell her she's not and that I am always there for her. My mom saw her saturday night with us and told her if she needed a "mother" figure that she'd be there for her. It's made all of us so happy that she's back in our lives. Good friends like that are not easy to find.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:37 PM

lubby...Your friend is lucky to have you and your Mom. Good that you're so patient with her when it comes to opening-up and talking about her "missing years."...The friend who came to see me yesterday has sure been patient and understanding and caring with me! She "spoiled me rotten" yesterday and made me feel like "queen for the day!"...I really needed this kind of special attention too! I've become so "drained" and "burnt-out" lately...Sadly my friend lives about 4 hours away. Wish we lived closer to each other. Her Mom just passed away recently and I tried to be "there" for her too...I think we all need a little love and "special mothering" at times even from friends. Don't you? (Not bossy or "know-it-all mothering!" Just gentle and loving "mothering.")

Old 04-16-2012, 09:34 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
You have a beautiful writing style here. The words flow, and I relate to what you're saying.

Hope that you'll find what you need, and get what you want.
Thanks, thats a wonderful compliment. My big passion is writing so its extra good to hear.

I'd love to write something to publish (other than on the net) but have got to conquer the fear of giving up monster.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:30 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Great! I went to the beach 2 days in a row. In NY we have had high 70's to low 80's the past 2 days and I am taking advantage of the summer like weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health