Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2021, 05:48 PM

6,574 posts, read 7,169,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
No you’re right. Longer sentences and taking away their ability to obtain gainful employment and vote after they are released seems to be working really well for American society. So why not double down on that approach no?
In detail what would you do to fix current situation with just car jacking where guns are put to heads and used to hit people? The suspects are all in age group of 17-24…

Old 12-08-2021, 08:45 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,391,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
In detail what would you do to fix current situation with just car jacking where guns are put to heads and used to hit people? The suspects are all in age group of 17-24…
It’s a complex subject. Full disclosure, I’m not an expert on the subject so when in doubt I have to rely on those folks, experts in education, sociology and criminal justice, etc. The first issue, in my humble opinion, is identifying the causes of the initial criminal behavior and find ways to reduce it. This can be reduced first and foremost by minimizing the birth of unwanted children (as they are far more likely to engage in criminal behavior). This is done by improving sex education and access to birth control and yes, abortions.

Next invest in universal pre-K, after school programs, school work and job training programs and also make an effort to improve educational outcomes, including reducing the socio-economic and race gap. We need to invest more in public school facilities, staff and other resources across the board, not just in the rich neighborhoods and suburbs.

Then there is the issue of recidivism. While serving a sentence we need to provide inmates with opportunities to get an HS diploma and learn skills that can later be used in a productive way to help encourage positive behavior and leave the life of crime behind. Many convicted felons have dependency issues that was a contributing factor in their criminal behavior. We need to invest in substance abuse treatment as this will be key to turning things around.

In addition, measures should be taken to make things easier for someone who has served their time and is being released back to society. These individuals need access to temporary housing and need to be able to be considered for open positions so they can gain employment and become self-sufficient. States can pass laws to prevent criminal background results/felonies from precluding someone from being considered for a job or place heavy restrictions on it. There can also be incentives given to employers who hire individuals who were recently released from prison. Finally, allowing former felons the ability to restore their voting rights empowers them and helps move them towards feeling like they are valued members of society.

So this isn’t everything, but hopefully a step in the right direction.

Old 12-09-2021, 03:18 AM

35,168 posts, read 17,102,781 times
Quote:
It’s a complex subject. Full disclosure, I’m not an expert on the subject so when in doubt I have to rely on those folks, experts in education, sociology and criminal justice, etc. The first issue, in my humble opinion, is identifying the causes of the initial criminal behavior and find ways to reduce it. This can be reduced first and foremost by minimizing the birth of unwanted children (as they are far more likely to engage in criminal behavior). This is done by improving sex education and access to birth control and yes, abortions.
Have you ever met some of these people? Do you seriously think that your average carjacker is going to sit for a sex education course or is he going to fall asleep? They are going to do what they do when they get "the urge." The parts of society that have become more affluent have agendas in their life. The criminal underclass, not so much.

Quote:
Next invest in universal pre-K, after school programs, school work and job training programs and also make an effort to improve educational outcomes, including reducing the socio-economic and race gap. We need to invest more in public school facilities, staff and other resources across the board, not just in the rich neighborhoods and suburbs.
With teachers facing, at best, an inattentive class and at worst violent students, is any of this realistic, or just idealistic?

Quote:
Then there is the issue of recidivism. While serving a sentence we need to provide inmates with opportunities to get an HS diploma and learn skills that can later be used in a productive way to help encourage positive behavior and leave the life of crime behind. Many convicted felons have dependency issues that was a contributing factor in their criminal behavior. We need to invest in substance abuse treatment as this will be key to turning things around.

In addition, measures should be taken to make things easier for someone who has served their time and is being released back to society. These individuals need access to temporary housing and need to be able to be considered for open positions so they can gain employment and become self-sufficient. States can pass laws to prevent criminal background results/felonies from precluding someone from being considered for a job or place heavy restrictions on it. There can also be incentives given to employers who hire individuals who were recently released from prison. Finally, allowing former felons the ability to restore their voting rights empowers them and helps move them towards feeling like they are valued members of society.
This is all nice. However, when the average underclass faces a choice of earning five figures in a single heist or drug deal, and earning even $15 an hour at a minimum wage job are all going to make the right choice?

Quote:
So this isn’t everything, but hopefully a step in the right direction.
Are you paying for these futile steps?

Old 12-09-2021, 06:56 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,078,453 times
A violent sociopath who shoots, on average, two people per year over the color of their hat will shoot zero people over a ten year period if locked up for ten years and 18 people if locked up for one year.

Quote:
No you’re right. Longer sentences and taking away their ability to obtain gainful employment and vote after they are released seems to be working really well for American society. So why not double down on that approach no?

Old 12-09-2021, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
CAG lives in an alternate universe.

The studies that have examined the issue point to fatherless families as the main culprit.
We actually agree on this point, which is why I address this directly and multi-fold in the first paragraph of my post. I fully acknowledge that for many of these cases it’s an uphill battle from day 1. However, some will go on to have productive lives while others may thrive in the right conditions. Others are probably lost causes. It is a worthwhile investment to provide these kids with the right tools to at least have a somewhat level playing field with the kids who lucked out by being born in a two parent financially stable household. However, the first key is doing everything possible to prevent unwanted children from being born in the first place. That means improving sex education, access to contraceptives and making abortion services accessible to all.

Earlier the question was asked how do we pay for the things I’m proposing? We could start by legalizing recreational marijuana and applying the tax revenue windfall to programs such as what I’m proposing. I’d also extend the same logic to prostitution.

Old 12-09-2021, 07:27 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,029,947 times
The latest, just reported on the news and talked about a lot on Nextdoor, is that they will follow you home and then rob you at gun point and car jack you. They use to stay out of the "good" neighborhoods but they are so bold because nothing happens to them (there's that namby pamby theory). People take them on a joy ride, call the closest police precinct and lead them to the police station. The thugs disappear at that point. You always have to be on guard.

Old 12-09-2021, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
The latest, just reported on the news and talked about a lot on Nextdoor, is that they will follow you home and then rob you at gun point and car jack you. They use to stay out of the "good" neighborhoods but they are so bold because nothing happens to them (there's that namby pamby theory). People take them on a joy ride, call the closest police precinct and lead them to the police station. The thugs disappear at that point. You always have to be on guard.
You spend too much time on NextDoor. That is your problem.

Old 12-09-2021, 07:49 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,029,947 times
Quote:
You spend too much time on NextDoor. That is your problem.
My probem is people like you that live in la la land and refuse to deal with reality.

Last edited by Umbria; 12-09-2021 at 08:00 AM..

Old 12-09-2021, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
My probem are people like you that live in la la land and refuse to deal with reality.
If you mean that I don’t allow my brain to be poisoned by busy body gossip and other non-sense circulated by randos on social media then yes. We can agree on this point.

In all honesty, currently I’m far more concerned about pervasive irrationality, divisiveness and toxicity being caused by social media than I am about crime.

Old 12-09-2021, 08:00 AM

6,574 posts, read 7,169,834 times
One thing Ramsey County Sheriff Fletcher said on Live on Patrol, the groups doing these car jackings are not as big as people are thinking. People who live in Mpls, South, NE, SE, North….have your car insurance rates jumped on renewals lately? The amount of vehicles stolen has never been this high ever, insurance can’t be happy about this at all and will adjust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul