Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 01:22 PM

8,088 posts, read 15,163,899 times

Advertisements

I was impressed with the tire idea too. And for smaller rounds, just drop a smaller tire inside the big one!

Yeah, that was consensus (and same from a site that tested some mauls and axes) -- this newfangled axe is great for stuff that splits easily anyway. Not so good, even hazardous, for stuff that's already a PITA to split.

I admit I never considered using dynamite, tho...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 02:21 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Crazy splitting axe, lets anyone split like a machine!

Physics-exploiting axe splits wood in record time | News | Geek.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I have to admit, I really like the idea of an old used tire on the chopping block, never thought of that!

That would really save your toes, and from having to run down pieces of wood as they go skittering across the yard.

That ax would work fine on straight grain wood like that poplar he is splitting, but I would like to see him tackle some of those knotty old bull pine I fight with!!

Some of those I just about need dynamite to split

I'll race you and I think this would even handle the knotty old bull pine.

See this mean Bobcat split firewood in seconds - YouTube

Old 04-22-2014, 02:27 PM

Haha, yeah, that Bobcat can beat just about anything short of a tornado, and the Bobcat stacks it neater!

Old 04-22-2014, 03:02 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,582,712 times
Yeah, that Bobcat is a dream for those of us that split our wood for heat.

Unfortunately, I should have been born rich instead of so damned good looking, I can barely afford a spliting maul

As to using explosives for splitting, that's an old idea, but for some reason the city cops get upset if I use that technique in town
Dynamite TNT Powder Log Splitter Wedge Iron Antique (10/29/2008)...

Old 04-22-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Yeah, that Bobcat is a dream for those of us that split our wood for heat.

Unfortunately, I should have been born rich instead of so damned good looking, I can barely afford a spliting maul

As to using explosives for splitting, that's an old idea, but for some reason the city cops get upset if I use that technique in town
Dynamite TNT Powder Log Splitter Wedge Iron Antique (10/29/2008)...
It says no photo available, but by the description I think I know what it looks like. My Grandfather used to split rail for fence posts with a device that he would pour gunpowder in, fuse it, light it and wait. It would split the full length of the post (8-10 ft). It would take him a split or two to figure out how much powder. The first time he'd run the wedge about half way through. The second time you'd go out in the grass and find the wedge and then after that he'd blast and the wedge would be a foot or two past the post, laying in the dirt. He said he brought that with him from the "Old country". He was Czeck/Bohemian. He apprentaced as a Millwright when young, then came over here. When he got here, he became a Deputy United States Marshal at 17 years of age. Growing up, I always wondered where he learned all his stuff, being a copy. Then after he passed away, at 97, we got to digging into the family tree and found out about the Millwright stuff.

All of the corral and fencing around the barn was all split posts and they were just as square and straight as railroad ties. Never saw him do it just for firewood though. haha I could understand the police getting a little testy in town when somebody would do that.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:25 PM

Hey Elk, here's your new snowplow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzZvEMT3YsA

Cheapskate's tire chains:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJKU-zO4hk

Zip-tie chains
(seems to me a person could make a more-durable set out of light chain and small clips, or in a pinch, bits of any sort of junk threaded on zipties)

Those don't work so well with my solid wheels, tho...

And look at all the weird new types of chains... I don't see how the "belt" type doesn't come off, tight or not.

Spray-on "tire chains" (this is probably just laundry detergent)

Old 04-24-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Hey Elk, here's your new snowplow!

Cheapskate's tire chains:

(seems to me a person could make a more-durable set out of light chain and small clips, or in a pinch, bits of any sort of junk threaded on zipties)

Those don't work so well with my solid wheels, tho...

And look at all the weird new types of chains... I don't see how the
I like that pedal plow. Could do a good job and get your exercise all at the same time.

I still like cables. Can put them on in less than a minute per side. Don't have to jack it up, don't have to pull it ahead. Just slap them over the tire, clip them and pull the straps tight. Takes longer to tie off the straps so they don't tangle than it does to put the cables on.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-24-2014 at 07:48 PM..

Old 04-24-2014, 07:45 PM

I've told you folks that I have been waiting for a long time to have my knee replaced. My LEFT knee. It finally looks like they are going to do it, this fall.

However, I've been having trouble with my right ankle. Last summer I stepped in a hole and thought I sprained it. It hurt for a while but eventually got better. Then in December, it started swelling up when I put in a long day. Didn't think too much about it. Then it swelled up and wouldn't go down, so that's when I set up a Dr appointment. 6 weeks later, I saw my Dr and he said, "Oh my, I'm sending you to see a podiatrist." 6 weeks later, today, I saw the Podiatrist. He said, "Oh crap, I don't think I've seen a set of xrays that bad and the bones werent sticking out." I said, "What???" So he had me look at the xrays. Basically, a foot is in three parts. The heel and arch, the Cuniforms, and the toes. With my heel pointed straight forward, the front of the Cunoform is a full inch to the left of center. Then the toes point to the right and the second toe, which should be in line, is a full 2 inches to the right. Because I broke it last summer, and haven't done anything to fix it, the tendons and ligements are completely tore loose. So the Podiatrist immobilized my foot with this brace thing. You set your foot in it, velcro the flaps over, then put velcro straps around it in 5 places, and then there is a little air pump that you pump up to hold your angle and foot perfectly in line and not move.

I said, "How long will I have to wear this goofy thing?" He said, "Not long, because I am going to set you up with surgery immediately so they can fuse the bones together. Once done, you won't be able to bend your foot anymore. You only have to wear this brace until the surgery and then for just a few weeks after that."

Old 04-24-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
6 weeks later, today, I saw the Podiatrist. He said, "Oh crap, I don't think I've seen a set of xrays that bad and the bones werent sticking out."
So, how many pieces are you in, now??

Quote:
I like that pedal plow. Could do a good job and get your exercise all at the same time.
Yeah, it actually looks like fun, at least on concrete or really flat ground. Probably not so fun on any sort of slope!

Quote:
I still like cables. Can put them on in less than a minute per side. Don't have to jack it up, don't have to pull it ahead. Just slap them over the tire, clip them and pull the straps tight. Takes longer to tie off the straps so they don't tangle than it does to put the cables on.
Hmm. Back when I was doing it every day for a freakin' month, I got so I could chain up the F100 in about 30 seconds per side. Took more time to move the truck than to apply the chains... lay 'em out flat, drive over just the end, flip the long end up over the tire, hook one side, hook the other, add the rubber tightener thingee if I was going very far. Takes longer to type it than it did to do it. Coulda been all the daily practice, tho.

And the big wheel wells... When I had to chain up the Olds F-85 (which I did more often for mud than for winter), I did actually have to jack the car up to get any space to work!

Same set of chains, actually. They were for 14" tires. I made 'em longer for 15" tires. I think they actually fit better that way, being they were a little snug in the crosspieces.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:57 AM

This is interesting...

Second Amendment Victory: Georgia Governor Signs Historic Gun Rights Bill | The Daily Sheeple
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana