Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2017, 10:15 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,988,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Thanks, AFtrEFkt. Although, sometimes I think that movies like this want to demonstrate that they don't take themselves too seriously... and to demonstrate that not for a minute do they buy into the seriousness and the grandeur that these films portray.(Although, I heard that in past decades such as the 40s and the 50s, the actors and the filmmakers actually did get caught up in the grandeur of the movies that they made.) Also, I think that we might see the culmination of Marvel's 'Bathos' in the new Thor movie. Click here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
If you haven't realized it wasn't the origin (for the movie) you will never know.
Hmmm. But that's almost like saying that perhaps DC and Warner Bros. should have entirely changed the premise of Wonder Woman in order to not cause some overly concerned and sensitive people to see any type of similarities between Wonder Woman and The First Avenger.

Quote:
I've explained it several times and it is a beat and storyline issue even with the change to avoid the overt "Simpsons did it" scenario that I personally found without trying to find.
I don't know what you mean by a 'beat' issue. Or what you mean by the overt "Simpsons did it" scenario.

Quote:
Mind you, I was entirely psyched for this movie with the trailers even though I had these initial fears from the pictures and the leaked plot.
Well, see... That's where the problem is for you. It's your preconceived fears and notions that you had.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:31 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Hmmm. But that's almost like saying that perhaps DC and Warner Bros. should have entirely changed the premise of Wonder Woman in order to not cause some overly concerned and sensitive people to see any type of similarities between Wonder Woman and The First Avenger.
Nice ad hom.

Quote:
I don't know what you mean by a 'beat' issue.
I've been over this enough, if you don't get it, you're just obtuse. Wonder Woman had too many exactly plot points leading to another that First Avenger had and it is pretty much line by line (not lines the writers wrote for the actors) but rather where the plot goes. Do yourself a favor and watch both movies when Wonder Woman comes out on digital or blu-ray and then tell me with a straight face it didn't have the same base plot of a superhero teaming with an Allies special ops team that aren't exactly on the Allies books, to take on a rogue German military leader who wants to threaten the world with a super-weapon during a war. The only change I saw is Diana being a god and having Greek myth intertwined rather than Steve Rogers who was enhanced.

Quote:
Or what you mean by the overt "Simpsons did it" scenario.
The "Simpsons did it" scenario refers to a South Park episode from season 6 called Simpsons Already Did It. In it Butters comes up with evil plans but his sidekick Dougie reminds him that the rival TV show The Simpsons already did that exact thing. So my claim is that Wonder Woman is DC basically pulling a "Simpsons did it" since The First Avenger came out some 5 years before we saw Diana Prince make her feature film debut.

Quote:
Well, see... That's where the problem is for you. It's your preconceived fears and notions that you had.
Um, I didn't even think of it as I got closer to the movie but the movie itself brought them back. It's like me with Josh Trank's Fantastic Four, I tried going in without the "it stinks, it's a bomb" and honestly liked it until the fast-forward and then it fell flat and then some. I honestly tried to like Wonder Woman but it wasn't for me and there were too many glaring First Avenger beats that I couldn't ignore.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Nice ad hom.
Sorry, but I didn't mean that as an ad hominem... unlike the subtle one that I stated in the AoS thread. However, I think that I made that statement before in this thread... and I view your "ad hom" statement as more of a red herring... in order to evade the actual point that I was making. But the point still stands: But that's almost like saying that perhaps DC and Warner Bros. should have entirely changed the premise of Wonder Woman. So is that how you feel about that, mkpunk?

Quote:
I've been over this enough, if you don't get it, you're just obtuse.
lol First you mistakenly criticize me for launching an ad hominem against you... but then you turn around and call me obtuse. lol

Well, you know there's a word for that, mk... and you could have said what you said in a nicer way.

Spoiler

Also, I wasn't able to finish the previous 'conversation' that we had, therefore, I did not read some of what you said previously.

Quote:
Wonder Woman had too many exactly plot points leading to another that First Avenger had and it is pretty much line by line (not lines the writers wrote for the actors) but rather where the plot goes. Do yourself a favor and watch both movies when Wonder Woman comes out on digital or blu-ray and then tell me with a straight face it didn't have the same base plot of a superhero teaming with an Allies special ops team that aren't exactly on the Allies books, to take on a rogue German military leader who wants to threaten the world with a super-weapon during a war. The only change I saw is Diana being a god and having Greek myth intertwined rather than Steve Rogers who was enhanced.
Well, of course that's the only change that you saw... because I believe that you have a fixation on what you believe to be 'copying'... And no matter what anyone says... you will somehow be able to explain it away and bring things back to the point of view that you have. For example...

Quote:
Shawn Walker, works at Taste of Texas

Originally Answered: Is Wonder Woman a lot like Captain America: The First Avenger movie? Is this theory (Wonder Woman and Captain America have a lot in common) valid?

It's not fully correct. For one thing Wonder Woman takes place during WW1 not WWII. Yeah they may have some similarities, but no more than I could make about so many other movies. Also the list of differences is far greater than the list of similarities.

Examples: warning some spoilers

WW was born with great power and trained everyday since she was a child to become a mighty warrior.

CA a puny runt that got enjected with mega-roids and somehow learned to become an amazing fighter because of it.

WW actually got to dance with her love interest. (they also got to do more than dance but they only let you assume that part.)

CA never danced or got anywhere beyond a kiss with his girl.

WW was trying to stop a God that was manipulating men to fight each other.

CA was after just stopping the Nazis and specifically ending a big leader of Hydra, who in the end was still just an ugly man.

WW used a shield and threw it at one point but it never came back. She also mainly uses her sword more than just the shield.

CA has always had the ability to somehow bring his shield back to him and continue going (which always looked really cool, but Spider-Man even points out that the shield “doesn't obey the laws of physics at all.”)

WW was born on an island of beautiful women who can all kick out butts.

CA was born in Brooklyn….that’s it. No beautiful dudes or anything.

In WW, Steve was an American spy working with the British.

In CA, Steve was a soldier who just happened to become super.

I can go on and on with this. The point is, if you want to find similarities in movies, you can do it to so many of them. Regardless of that though, you can find just as many differences in them as well. It's really hard not to find a fully unique movie, that doesn't use some blue print, of older stories in some form or fashion.

So to recap, do I think that they copy and pasted CA to make WW as great of a movie as it is? No, there's flat out too many differences. And the things that were similar weren't what made the movies so appealing too me.
How are the Captain America and Wonder Woman movies similar?

Therefore, I'm with Shawn... And I think that all the differences in WW far outweigh any similarities to CA. And to the point where the similarities were insignificant to me... and I wasn't really cognizant of them while watching this film.

Quote:
The "Simpsons did it" scenario refers to a South Park episode from season 6 called Simpsons Already Did It. In it Butters comes up with evil plans but his sidekick Dougie reminds him that the rival TV show The Simpsons already did that exact thing. So my claim is that Wonder Woman is DC basically pulling a "Simpsons did it" since The First Avenger came out some 5 years before we saw Diana Prince make her feature film debut.
(Sigh!).... I'm almost sorry that I asked.

Quote:
Um, I didn't even think of it as I got closer to the movie but the movie itself brought them back. It's like me with Josh Trank's Fantastic Four, I tried going in without the "it stinks, it's a bomb" and honestly liked it until the fast-forward and then it fell flat and then some. I honestly tried to like Wonder Woman but it wasn't for me and there were too many glaring First Avenger beats that I couldn't ignore.
Well, that's what I've been saying all along about your perception and reaction to the movie. And like I had said before... and without any intention of an ad hominem... I think that some people are more sensitive to some things that other people are not. However, to view things as if most of the people who saw Wonder Woman had the wool pulled over their eyes... is just not right.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:50 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Sorry, but I didn't mean that as an ad hominem... unlike the subtle one that I stated in the AoS thread. However, I think that I made that statement before in this thread... and I view your "ad hom" statement as more of a red herring... in order to evade the actual point that I was making. But the point still stands: But that's almost like saying that perhaps DC and Warner Bros. should have entirely changed the premise of Wonder Woman. So is that how you feel about that, mkpunk?

lol First you mistakenly criticize me for launching an ad hominem against you... but then you turn around and call me obtuse. lol

Well, you know there's a word for that, mk... and you could have said what you said in a nicer way.

Spoiler

Also, I wasn't able to finish the previous 'conversation' that we had, therefore, I did not read some of what you said previously.

Well, of course that's the only change that you saw... because I believe that you have a fixation on what you believe to be 'copying'... And no matter what anyone says... you will somehow be able to explain it away and bring things back to the point of view that you have. For example...

How are the Captain America and Wonder Woman movies similar?

Therefore, I'm with Shawn... And I think that all the differences in WW far outweigh any similarities to CA. And to the point where the similarities were insignificant to me... and I wasn't really cognizant of them while watching this film.

(Sigh!).... I'm almost sorry that I asked.

Well, that's what I've been saying all along about your perception and reaction to the movie. And like I had said before... and without any intention of an ad hominem... I think that some people are more sensitive to some things that other people are not. However, to view things as if most of the people who saw Wonder Woman had the wool pulled over their eyes... is just not right.
I apologize if saying that you were obtuse if you wouldn't realize the shocking similarities between the two movies when Wonder Woman is home released and you can see the beats of the movie overlap wore a bit to a scary point. I didn't see Capt right before and I CLEARY saw them. I do realize they have similar origins and WB tried to change it but they didn't change it enough.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:12 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times

Old 08-14-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I apologize if saying that you were obtuse if you wouldn't realize the shocking similarities between the two movies when Wonder Woman is home released and you can see the beats of the movie overlap wore a bit to a scary point. I didn't see Capt right before and I CLEARY saw them. I do realize they have similar origins and WB tried to change it but they didn't change it enough.
Um... but you had previously said that I was obtuse because you had already been over the meaning of the 'beat' issue enough in the past, and I still wasn't getting it. However, you're now apologizing for calling me obtuse about something that hasn't even happened yet concerning similarities that I wouldn't realize until Wonder Woman is released on home video. Therefore, your apology is about as sincere as a crocodile's tears. lol

Also, Mark... pass the popcorn. lol

Old 08-16-2017, 05:56 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,619,873 times

Old 08-16-2017, 07:29 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,931 times
Loved the movie! Chris Pine is dreamy lol.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:57 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times

I'd like to see those box office receipt figures calculated as "number of tickets sold" in order to correct for inflation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies