Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 12:43 AM

2,950 posts, read 1,636,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Back when I was still living in Virginia I knew a lawyer...he was at the time a very famous lawyer due to a nationally known legal case he was involved in. We were talking one day about police stings such as you see on "To Catch A Predator" and how similar they were years earlier to marijuana stings. And he made a comment on the difference between when a man (or woman) who thinks about doing something and actually does something. And he said, "If every man who ever saw a girl under the age of 18 and thought about sex with her was in jail, half the male population of the United States would be in prison.

The one film that just turned me off that related to that topic was "American Beauty" with Kevin Spacey. I used to like Spacey a lot, so I went to the film without even knowing what it was about. Yuck. I was embarrassed to have even gone to the movie.
Great clip of Al Pacino tearing into Spacey's character. A truly classic scene! (NSFW)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW7WlT6OJxE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 03:00 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
I'm not sure, only watched it once, but I think "The Betsy" is another such flick.

For that matter, "Firestarter" (1984) could fall into the same boat as well. John Rainbird (George C. Scott) may not have wanted to bed "Charlie", but he did want to steal intimately from her. Speaking of secret alphabet agencies in the night, "The Fury" (1978) may be another one that falls into this boat with the relationship between Robin and Susan Charles. Maybe....I have not seen the flick since the 80s.

Then, there is "Summer of '42" which has, as a keyword, "sex with a minor". Looking down that index, we have (among others mind you) "Billy Jack" (but I think that was with the heavy in the flick), and "S.O.B" (not in the list but there were those two girls who stayed at the house).

And then, there's "Breezy" with William Holden and Kay Lenz (again). It is a movie rather about robbing the cradle.

And then, TV wise, we have Columbo with "Swan Song" with Johnny Cash.

MY!

The list just goes on and on, doesn't it?

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 06-05-2018 at 03:15 AM..

Old 06-05-2018, 06:29 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Taxi Driver is a much better movie than Leon though, as the girl was not sexualized in that way, and it had a deeper story with deeper themes, to tell.
TAXI DRIVER is one of the best movies of the '70s, and there is a huge difference between Jodie Foster's character in that movie and Portman's character in LEON. In LEON, I really do think the director was purposefully sexualizing a little girl. Creepy.

In TAXI DRIVER the fact that Foster is a 12 year old prostitute is portrayed as nothing but horrific and a tragedy, and our anti-hero Travis is not once tempted to take advantage of that. In fact, the whole final act of the movie is about him saving her and getting her back to her parents.

It's one of the great themes of TAXI DRIVER: When the world has gone mad, the craziest guy in the room may be the only truly sane one left.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:34 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,084,905 times
OP, People were not hypersensitive as they are now.

For example, this was every day life at the turn of the century...

https://blackamericanasheetmusicarchive.wordpress.com/

Homosexuality was taboo back then. Now homosexuals are promoted as wholesome as apple pie.

...times change.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:24 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,139,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I liked Spacey until the revelation that he was a pervert.
Well, if you liked Spacey because of his acting and the good he's done with promoting theater, that shouldn't change.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:24 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,581,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
OP, People were not hypersensitive as they are now.

For example, this was every day life at the turn of the century...

https://blackamericanasheetmusicarchive.wordpress.com/

Homosexuality was taboo back then. Now homosexuals are promoted as wholesome as apple pie.

...times change.
If people are sooo hypersensitive today, shouldnt the opposite actually be happening though...like you said, 'back then' homosexuality' was taboo, but today its widely accepted, people are MORE accepting today. Its just strange to me.

Besides that, it was the positive depiction of homosexuality in movies and tv that led to more and more people accepting it as normal too, same thing happened with interracial relationships, why would pedo be the opposite, being depicted as normal and then BECOMING taboo...that doesnt make sense, its the other way around??

Old 06-08-2018, 11:49 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I'm not sure, only watched it once, but I think "The Betsy" is another such flick.

For that matter, "Firestarter" (1984) could fall into the same boat as well. John Rainbird (George C. Scott) may not have wanted to bed "Charlie", but he did want to steal intimately from her. Speaking of secret alphabet agencies in the night, "The Fury" (1978) may be another one that falls into this boat with the relationship between Robin and Susan Charles. Maybe....I have not seen the flick since the 80s.

Then, there is "Summer of '42" which has, as a keyword, "sex with a minor". Looking down that index, we have (among others mind you) "Billy Jack" (but I think that was with the heavy in the flick), and "S.O.B" (not in the list but there were those two girls who stayed at the house).

And then, there's "Breezy" with William Holden and Kay Lenz (again). It is a movie rather about robbing the cradle.

And then, TV wise, we have Columbo with "Swan Song" with Johnny Cash.

MY!

The list just goes on and on, doesn't it?
Yes, I was thinking about "The Summer Of '42" in this regard. Handled better than most, I thought.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:35 PM

7,430 posts, read 4,675,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

And, of course, there was always "The Crush".

That is the opposite.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:39 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I liked Spacey until the revelation that he was a pervert.
You couldn't see it in his face?

I had instant revulsion to that guy from day one. Creeped me out and gave me very violent negative feelings.

As this keeps happening more, I have really learned to trust my gut.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:53 PM

5,149 posts, read 3,078,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes, I was thinking about "The Summer Of '42" in this regard. Handled better than most, I thought.
The underage scene in Summer of '42 has zero eroticism. It's sad and melancholy -- yes Hermie gets laid, but the poor woman was out of her gourd. No one in the audience could possibly confuse it with a sex scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies