Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 10:12 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,072,062 times

Advertisements

Oh well I was going by Franco being on a sexiest celebrity list as an example, so I thought people might think he is therefore, if he's on a list.

I would have thought that the characters she played would come into play with how she is viewed though. For example, you could argue that Tina Fey is a goodlooking woman, but because of how she acts in her movies and the characters she plays, as well as on SNL, she is not exactly most guys' first go to choice for fantasies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 10:21 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I don't mean to be insulting towards her as I am sure she was a very attractive woman for her time, and the majority seem to agree, but so far I have seen her in two movies. Gentlemen Prefer Blonds, and Some Like it Hot.

In those movies though, she acts very similar in both, and she plays a total bimbo, and plays the bimbo persona to a hilt. I think it takes away whatever attractiveness she has, unless of course people are going by how she was in real life, but you think that the characters she played would have some sort of an effect on how people viewed her attraction wise. But what do you think? I am seeing her the wrong way?
Don't underestimate Monroe. She knew exactly what she was doing and she knew when to do it, too.
She could go out in public and not be recognized because, she said, I didn't want to be. And then go right back out as Marilyn and be recognized.
She knew how to get discovered, too. You should read some of the material about her.

Loni Anderson said that if beauty is all you've got going for you, then you'll never make it in Hollywood. She was right.

Don't forget we had lots to choose from and lots for her to compete with. From Doris Day to Grace Kelly and all the way from Gina Lollobrigida to Debbie Reynolds, the field was packed and she made her own place.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:23 PM

But how did she make her own place in Hollywood, if all she had going for her was being a pin up model and flirting with JFK, and bad acting?

I mean maybe it's just me, but I see her as a female Dolph Lundgren as in goodlooking, but really bad acting, but you don't see Dolph Lundgren being one of the biggest stars in the world.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:25 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
She wasn't just flirting with JFK.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:34 PM

Oh?

Old 06-04-2018, 10:49 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

Quote:
Oh?
Um. Yes. I don't think there's a serious historian who doesn't recognize that they had at least a one weekend affair, which is what I believe the extent of their relationship was.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:53 PM

Oh okay. But there have been other celebrities who have had extra marital affairs, and it still doesn't add to their fame.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Oh okay. But there have been other celebrities who have had extra marital affairs, and it still doesn't add to their fame.
If you have an affair with the President of the United States, WHILE HE IS IN OFFICE, it kind of does add to your fame.

Ironpony, you kind of have "presentism". Which is a difficulty of understanding how people in the past believed/did/lived.

Marilyn Monroe was mystical in that time. We are living in a different age.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:00 PM

Oh okay. Well I looked it up and there doesn't seem to be any proof of an affair and it seems like it's all theories and rumors. Unless I am not looking in the right spots.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:04 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,028 times
Sex appeal and talent don't have anything to do with each other. Look at the more recent sex symbols like Pam Anderson or Megan Fox, both are terrible actors. There's very few actresses who are insanely hot and talented. I can only think of Angelina Jolie in the last 15 years. There's hot women like JLo, they are ok but not superb actors and there's great actors like Amy Adams for example, she's attractive but not smoking hot.

Eta she definitely had an affair with both Kennedy brothers. She was a tragic person who had a hard life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies