Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: BEST PART OF STATE TO LIVE IN
NORTH OF CONCORD 186 58.13%
CONCORD AND SOUTH 134 41.88%
Voters: 320. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 7,400 times

Advertisements

Finally someone mentions something about the White Mt. area! I have been there the past two years and fell in love with NH and the White's. So much so I want to move to NH but not sure about the work thing. I loved the cities up North, Gorham, Berlin, Twin Mt., Bethleham, Bartlett but unless you work the tourism or retail market where do you work up there??! Have been through Portsmouth & Hampton area, loved those towns too. Liked Concord better than Manchester I must say. Based on my current job I would need to live near a bigger city so South is really where I would need to be unless I changed careers, which is possible.
Do many people commute between MA & NH?? Been to Boston once and coming from a larger city like Cleveland, Boston scared me! Really big city, with lots of crazy drivers! Cleveland has their share too but I saw way too many accidents in too short a time period on my way from Boston Logan airport last time!!
So any advice on the possibilities of life up North in the White Mts? Just being a few hours away from them works. Ohio is so big compared to NH it takes so long to get from one end to the other. Another thing I love about NH...small, mountains, water and close to my next love Maine! One thing I did learn on this forum...don't move to Newmarket!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 08:15 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,176,855 times
We're in Littleton, I work from home and hubby works in Jefferson - there are jobs up here, not great pay-wise, for the most part, but there is work. We have friends in Bethlehem, one works with hubby, another works here in Littleton, another has an internet based business, one has her own business (I think, not really sure) and another does something with real estate.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:30 AM

1 posts, read 7,337 times
Default Lebanon, Hanover, Enfield area

No one seems to be interested in the Lebanon-Hanover area of the state....in my opinion it is the best place to be! Housing is expensive in Lebanon and Hanover....but living 10 or 12 miles away in the smaller towns lowers the price and gets you into very friendly....very nice towns with great schools.

This area has virtually no unemployment....in fact good jobs are plentiful and available.....and we are right on the Vermont border with quick access to interstates 89 and 91......1-1/4 hours to Manchester, 2-1/4 to Boston, 2-1/2 to Montreal

Crime is virtually non-existent....kids are safe. Dartmouth College, Dartmouth-Hitchcock medical center are large employers as well as many small to medium sized high tech companies. Check it out!

Old 09-15-2007, 03:18 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,178,417 times
thanks enfield. If Laconia doesn't turn out to be right for us, I'll have to go out that way and see.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:49 PM

10 posts, read 76,339 times
Hello..I am a single mom from Texas wanting to move north for the cooler climate. We are from a small town of 25,000 and would like to stay with the small town feel. I am looking for a small beautiful town to move to that has all the common necessities without having to drive a great distance to get to them ( not to much to ask for, huh) My kids also need to be within an hours driving distance to a mall or they may go into withdrawl. Good schools are important also as my daughter is in the gifted and talented classes here. We will be wanting to rent for a while until we know that we are there to stay. I will also be bringing my elderly parents with me who are on a fixed income and will need senior housing such as apartments or such. I have been looking at the North Conway, Littleton and even as far south as Keene. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:59 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,578,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaslady1 View Post
Hello..I am a single mom from Texas wanting to move north for the cooler climate. We are from a small town of 25,000 and would like to stay with the small town feel. I am looking for a small beautiful town to move to that has all the common necessities without having to drive a great distance to get to them ( not to much to ask for, huh) My kids also need to be within an hours driving distance to a mall or they may go into withdrawl. Good schools are important also as my daughter is in the gifted and talented classes here. We will be wanting to rent for a while until we know that we are there to stay. I will also be bringing my elderly parents with me who are on a fixed income and will need senior housing such as apartments or such. I have been looking at the North Conway, Littleton and even as far south as Keene. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
All depends what you do for a living.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:19 PM

I am an LVN or they are called LPN up there I believe.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaslady1 View Post
Hi texaslady - Littleton is much smaller than 25,000 <g>. I can't tell you about the schools, as our kids are grown, and I'm not sure how big a mall you would consider a "mall", but Littleton doesn't have one - North Conway has a bunch of outlet stores, but no mall that I know if. There is a senior housing place in Littleton - here's a link to it - Riverglen House: an innovative senior living community in Littleton, NH . I don't know the cost, etc. There seems to be quite a few apartments in town, also some houses you can rent.

Online newspapers for this area include the Caledonian Record Caledonian-Record News Vermont News New Hampshire News VT NH Newspapers and the Littleton Courier Welcome to The Littleton Courier - you can click on the classifieds section to see prices of rentals, etc. The hospital in town is Littleton Regional LRH Home Page . There is also Weeks Medical Center Weeks Medical Center in Lancaster and Cottage Hospital Cottage Hospital in Woodsville.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-18-2007, 07:27 PM

Thanks for the help. I have been reading through all of these comments and wish we could just pick up and move now and just figure it out as we go. I have a house to sell here first though. As far as I can tell, it seems like Littleton has everything you would need in a town. As long as there is a Wal Mart and grocery store what more do you need? About how far from North Conway is Littleton? I know this is a tourist area, so I figured rent and expenses would be higher there. I am also looking into Bartlett. Any thoughts??

Old 09-19-2007, 05:26 AM

I think North Conway and Barlett are about 45 mins. to an hour from Littleton, but not totally sure, have only been there a couple of times and didn't time it <g>......Littleton has a Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot, Agway, Applebee's, 99, T.J. Maxx, pet store, Dollar Tree, hardware store, liquor store, couple of car parts stores, car dealerships, Staples, Shaw's grocery store, Rite-Aid, Walgreen's, McD's, etc. just outside of the main street area. Main Street has wonderful stores, restaurants, a great book store, music store, flower shop, Chutter's, etc., a movie theater (they're going to be putting in new seats the end of this month/beginning of October YAY! <g>). There are also two movie rental places, a Hallmark store, and many other stores I can't remember now, but I think I've covered most of them.

We have found things to do without much problem. Of course, as I stated previously, our kids are grown, so not sure how appealing all this would be to kids (not sure of the ages of yours). There's not a lot of "night life" although this summer it seemed some places were offering music on Friday/Saturday nights, so that may be changing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire