Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2010, 06:53 PM

130 posts, read 236,058 times

Advertisements

only if that 2700 is in late rent it matters. they dont actually do a 'credit" check. good luck!

Old 07-16-2010, 07:02 PM

20 posts, read 42,819 times
Wassup everyone! Im new to the forums so excuse me if Im asking a question thats already answered in here.

I applied only a few weeks ago and i just received a letter in the mail scheduling me for an interview and also to bring all the documents with me.

From the above answer from johnjose1986, is that right? They dont do a credit check just a rental check?

What are the procedures after this interview? What am I to expect?

I also recently had to move, I guess I should report this to them. Will that affect my application in anyway?

Thanks in advance!

Does anyone in here live there now? How is it?

Old 07-16-2010, 07:04 PM

P.S. - If you have bad credit can you have a co-signer?

Thanks!

Old 07-16-2010, 09:01 PM

684 posts, read 1,820,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renwhycee View Post
Wassup everyone! Im new to the forums so excuse me if Im asking a question thats already answered in here.

I applied only a few weeks ago and i just received a letter in the mail scheduling me for an interview and also to bring all the documents with me.

From the above answer from johnjose1986, is that right? They dont do a credit check just a rental check?

What are the procedures after this interview? What am I to expect?

I also recently had to move, I guess I should report this to them. Will that affect my application in anyway?

Thanks in advance!

Does anyone in here live there now? How is it?
1.The entire process is done is 3 steps..
*Interview
*Credit Check
*Home Visit (checking the conditions of the apt)

2.When they check your credit they're checking for 3 things..
*History of late rent payments
*Filed for bankruptcy within the last 5yrs
*Income to debt ratio is 38% or higher

Those are the things they're looking for..if you dont fit into those 3 categories you should be good. They do NOT go by your credit score

3.When the interview starts they make it very clear that if your not within the income guidelines the interview will be over. Thats the very first thing they check. So they're going to ask you for your pay stubs..then W2s..and also your bank statements, and any other assets you may have. This is how they calculate your income

*They total up the GROSS amount of your 6 pay stubs, then divide that by 6, and finally multiply that by 26(if you get paid bi-weekly). This becomes your estimated gross income for the year.

*Also note that if your assets total up to more than 5,000$ they will add an additional 2% of whatever your assets total up to be to your estimated gross income

If you pass the income part of the interview, they continue to request the remainder of your documents, you'll sign off on a bunch of papers (basically giving them permission to varify all your documents) you'll hand in your 25$ money order, and part I will be over

*Theres a chance they may need additional documents..they'll give you a couple of days to a week to get those either faxed/mailed/handed in to complete your application

After the first part you really just sit an wait. There are a couple of us on here that are in between parts 1 and 2 sorta just waiting to be called..

Old 07-17-2010, 02:46 PM

3 posts, read 4,754 times
Hi everyone...

I applied for River Place II a few weeks ago. I literally didn't expect a response; however, I was granted an interview! I have a very unique and difficult situation:

Here are all of my (many) issues:
1) I've been unemployed for 1.5 years with little income to speak of.
2) I'm on a government program that pays up to $900 of rent (HASA, which is for HIV positive people)
3) I have not had a lease the four years I've been in NYC (I've never had money for the huge down payments needed).
4) I have bad credit (470). None of it is for rent.
5) I didn't do my taxes last year
6) I'm currently living with a friend, so I don't technically have a home for a "home visit"

It sounds grim, to say the least. It seems like they would deny me even before I sit in the chair!!! I have had a horrible two years, and I'm just looking for help to get back on my feet. This would be such a blessing for me.

Does anyone have thoughts on my chances? Advice on what to do? I have one month before my interview.

Also, are there any services where people help you to prepare for this?

Old 07-17-2010, 03:40 PM

First things first..do you think you fit the income criteria? That should be your biggest concern, because as stated before thats the very first thing they check, and if are not within the income guidelines your interview will be over in 10mins..

1.You government assistance shouldnt be an issue..although they'll probably ask you to bring in more documenation to varify that

2.They do not go by your credit score

3.Not filing for taxes last year may be an issue..

4.You do have a home for a home visit...your friends place your staying at is your home. That is where the home visit will take place

To be very honest with you it doesnt look good. NOT because your living with a friend, or have government assistance, thats all fine. But your lack of income may very well be a problem. They are VERY strict on staying within the income guidelines, and if your saying your unemployed and have been for the last 1yr n a half that sort of raises an alarm. IMHO.

Theres nothing you can really DO but bring in the documents requested by them, follow all the instructions (i.e. making sure you have original and photocopies)...so that you come well prepared. It isnt like job interview where they're asking you a ton a questions..your basically handing them all the documents they ask for...if your interviewed by someone pleasant..there may be some small talk but thats about it

Old 07-17-2010, 03:42 PM

If you dont mind me asking...which income bracket are you in? The lower portion or the higher portion? Im only asking because im wondering why they scheduled you a month from now..thats pretty far I had about a week..week n a half max !

Old 07-17-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apartmenthunter39 View Post
Hi everyone...

I applied for River Place II a few weeks ago. I literally didn't expect a response; however, I was granted an interview! I have a very unique and difficult situation:

Here are all of my (many) issues:
1) I've been unemployed for 1.5 years with little income to speak of.
2) I'm on a government program that pays up to $900 of rent (HASA, which is for HIV positive people)
3) I have not had a lease the four years I've been in NYC (I've never had money for the huge down payments needed).
4) I have bad credit (470). None of it is for rent.
5) I didn't do my taxes last year
6) I'm currently living with a friend, so I don't technically have a home for a "home visit"

It sounds grim, to say the least. It seems like they would deny me even before I sit in the chair!!! I have had a horrible two years, and I'm just looking for help to get back on my feet. This would be such a blessing for me.

Does anyone have thoughts on my chances? Advice on what to do? I have one month before my interview.

Also, are there any services where people help you to prepare for this?

I hear ya apartmenthunter! I have a unique situation also.

Im leaving my current address and have to move to another place. So i guess when I interview with them a month from now i'll have to update that with them. I have no idea where I'm moving to yet.

Ive been unemployed for the past 8 months and im waiting for unemployment to kick back in. I havent been able to find a job since then.

Im currently on welfare also.

I guess you could say I been down in the dumps too. I know I fit the income range though because of unemployment and other random sources of income. I have the past 3 years income tax forms but I made a lot of money in the past until I became unemployed in November. I hope that doesnt mess up my chances of getting the apartment. Ive had a horrible past couple of months but nothing compared to yours apartmenthunter. Good Luck to you! It would truly be a blessing if they accepted me also.

Any advice for Apartmenthunter and I?

Does anyone live in the buildings now?

Old 07-17-2010, 09:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,824 times
do you think it would be an issue if i go to school part time in queens and have a part time job in long island? ive been trying to apply to places in nyc for what i do but there are no openings!

also, if you do get the housing do they ask you for the same documents year after year? your tax returns etc? can they kick you out if you make too much in like 2 years?

Old 07-18-2010, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy92 View Post
do you think it would be an issue if i go to school part time in queens and have a part time job in long island? ive been trying to apply to places in nyc for what i do but there are no openings!

also, if you do get the housing do they ask you for the same documents year after year? your tax returns etc? can they kick you out if you make too much in like 2 years?
No school would only be an issue if your FT..you can NOT be A FT student thats an automatic disqualification.

I believe they ask you for certain documents once your lease is up yes. I grew up in an 80/20 building and unless things have changed they only raise your rent a certain percentage..they dont kick you out. I think its pretty unrealistic to expect ones income to remain the same year in and year out. However, if you start making 100,000$ dollars a year all of a sudden im sure that would be an issue lol. But even then..you wouldnt be kicked out..but im sure your rent would end up being more equivalent to the market rate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery