Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2010, 07:01 PM

130 posts, read 236,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKid84NYC View Post
There very well may be 5 or more..theres only about 3 of us that are waiting and not all of us are in the same income bracket. Now factor in those who do not go onto message boards and its more then likely over 5. They posted up those new guidelines in June..im quite sure more then 5 people are either going through this process or is in line to be interviewed. Those are the facts. But again..IMHO it would be foolish to just NOT go to the interview because you think they've already run out of apts..you dont know what can happen. Its not just about people giving up apts..as an example me personally I would prefer to have a 1bdrm..so if that came along I would move..hey there goes an open studio apartment...maybe someone starts a family an now a studio isnt feasible for them anymore..another open studio apartment. Just a couple of examples of the many things that can happen that could open up an apartment.

If would prefer to have better odds just to interview..then thats on you..but I think it would be crazy to not interview at all just because you feel your already out of luck.
i fall in the 23-27 bracket so im sure theres a million people who already applied as well. im done with the process so now like you i wait. i think they do a month of applications, then another month of verfiying, then they move you in. when i went a couple of weeks ago to the office it was empty and interviews were already done. im guessing they work in cycles. so me, you, and everyone else should know where we stand before mid-august. im so excited and a little nervous.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:23 PM

684 posts, read 1,820,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjose1986 View Post
i fall in the 23-27 bracket so im sure theres a million people who already applied as well. im done with the process so now like you i wait. i think they do a month of applications, then another month of verfiying, then they move you in. when i went a couple of weeks ago to the office it was empty and interviews were already done. im guessing they work in cycles. so me, you, and everyone else should know where we stand before mid-august. im so excited and a little nervous.
That makes perfect sense ! Especially since Mochanyc just stated that when she went there on Friday it was just a bunch of lease signings going on. I think they're getting those group of people out of the way and taken care of an it'll all start over again in August. Would definitely explain people getting pushed back till August just to interview.

Like you im also excited and a little nervous. And i'll probably remain nervous till I actually sign a lease and somebody hands me my keys !!! LOL ! Just the waiting that sucks..I envy Mochanyc for being able to have her process done in a month.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:59 PM

78 posts, read 199,945 times
if you remember, mochachany said she got her apt through a special program that skips the lottery process. thats why he got her apt so fast. aint that right mocachany?

Old 07-25-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apthunterdr View Post
if you remember, mochachany said she got her apt through a special program that skips the lottery process. thats why he got her apt so fast. aint that right mocachany?
Yea she skipped the "lottery" process..not the interview process..she still had to go through the same 3 steps as the rest of us. And from her interview to when she got called for orientation was only about a month. I have a friend who also applied last summer for the actual lottery and her process was only about a month as well. I think Jose has the best idea in that its probably all done in cycles..which would explain why everyone who has applied in July is gettin pushed back to August.

August is our lucky month !!!!!!

Old 07-26-2010, 05:30 AM

7 posts, read 14,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKid84NYC View Post
You'll need to provide them with something that shows your GROSS income..not just what you take home. So make sure you have that.

1. You'll only need to bring an utilities that have your name on it. I currently still reside with my parents and when I handed her a utility with my fathers name on it she said I only needed bills that had MY name on it..and that if I didnt it was ok. What you will have to bring is the noterized letter they ask for which your aunt will have to sign off on

*You will be DISQUALIFIED !!! It does not matter if your not currently in school now, as stated in the application, and further addressed at the interview you can NOT BE A FT student while living at River Place. If you pass the income portion, an make it through the entire interview, they have you take home a Student Affadavit so sign off on, that basically states that at no time during your tenure at River Place II will you be a FT student. So if you really want to live at River Place II you'll have to become a PT student. **And as an FYI I believe this is true for ALL 80/20 programs, so if you want to remain a FT student you'll have to look for apartments that arent under the 80/20 program.

2. My theory is always look presentable. You dont have to wear 3 piece suit or a gown lol. But definitely come looking very presentable..your good jeans..or pants..maybe a nice casual button down/blouse or polo..if you have some comfortable shoes. No need to be a stiff..lol..just look nice.

Thank you for the advice!

I just have a few more questions then. First being, in the past month i've worked a quite a few overtime hours and i'm a little worried that when they look over my pay stubs it might look as though i earn more than i actually do, and given the fact that my W2's don't have a full years salary on them (due to me having been part-time worker on and off again for both 2008 and 2009) it might cause an issue with the interview process. Do they take things like this into consideration when calculating the estimated salary income? or would it be best that i bring a letter from my place of employment to prove my point?

Also, I currently live with a relative but i'm not on their lease, What exactly should i put in the notarized letter i need to bring to them from the person i'm currently living with? like..are there sample letters i can find online, or here, that i can simply change a few minor details and get notarized to bring with me.

Also Also, When i calculated my last 6 pay stubs an did the math myself, i came up with an estimated amount that was in the 15k range instead of 19-22k. Is this because i'm calculated take home after tax amount?

Old 07-26-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriiyus View Post
Thank you for the advice!

I just have a few more questions then. First being, in the past month i've worked a quite a few overtime hours and i'm a little worried that when they look over my pay stubs it might look as though i earn more than i actually do, and given the fact that my W2's don't have a full years salary on them (due to me having been part-time worker on and off again for both 2008 and 2009) it might cause an issue with the interview process. Do they take things like this into consideration when calculating the estimated salary income? or would it be best that i bring a letter from my place of employment to prove my point?

Also, I currently live with a relative but i'm not on their lease, What exactly should i put in the notarized letter i need to bring to them from the person i'm currently living with? like..are there sample letters i can find online, or here, that i can simply change a few minor details and get notarized to bring with me.

Also Also, When i calculated my last 6 pay stubs an did the math myself, i came up with an estimated amount that was in the 15k range instead of 19-22k. Is this because i'm calculated take home after tax amount?
1. If after they calculate your GROSS income..and your over you'll have 2 weeks to appeal, and if you feel the OT is what put you over then that is what the basis of your appeal would be

2. Your W2s wont be an issue..all of mine were from PT hrs and they all were lower then the income required. I think they just look at those to get an idea of your income. I think it would only be a factor if your W2s were significantly higher then the required income

3. You don't need to be on anybody's lease

4. The letter is basically whomever your living with vouching for you. You as a person..your character..how great of a person you are..how you've always helped out around the house..always kept your area clean etc.. Stuff like that. They're your landlord basically..

5. GROSS INCOME ONLY !!! That is the only thing that should be calculated

Old 07-26-2010, 09:56 AM

11 posts, read 20,965 times
I actually called into the office today and was told that your log number determines how many people are ahead of you. I am in the 1500's range but she said not to worry because a lot of people are disqualified etc. There are still apartments open and hopefully we can all secure a apartment!

Old 07-26-2010, 09:57 AM

Im telling you don't OVER THINK ! Make sure you have the documents that they ask you for first and foremost. If theres anything that they feel they need to you to bring in to complete your application they'll allow you additional time to do so.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmmyb0y View Post
I actually called into the office today and was told that your log number determines how many people are ahead of you. I am in the 1500's range but she said not to worry because a lot of people are disqualified etc. There are still apartments open and hopefully we can all secure a apartment!
Well luckily for me..when I appealed even though they accepted me under the new guidelines they kept my same log #

Old 07-26-2010, 03:15 PM

130 posts, read 236,058 times
okay guys i have some news!!!!!!!!!!!!! i got the apartment!!!!!!! my orientation is wednesday at ten. i was told that it would be on the rules of the building in the same place as the interview. afterwards they would take me to see the apartment. i had to keep myslef from screaming!!!! im so happy. i didnt get a home visit? not sure why but whatever. ill let you guys know more as soon as possibable. love you guys and best of luck with you all!!!!! im hoping for the m or g lines!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery