Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 04:23 PM

383 posts, read 1,316,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Anon...no decline in the Bronx? An increase? Here are the stats:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...ics/cspbbx.pdf

And a quick summary:

Overall crime: DOWN -2.6% vs last year, -3.8% vs 2 years ago, -32.42% vs 10 years ago..and on and on.
Murder: DOWN -5.9% vs last year, UP +33% versus 2 years ago,-41.8% vs 10 years ago, and on and on

And almost all the rest are down as well (except for rapes which we have discussed as an unreliable barometer of crime).

So I ask you, how do you believe crime is UP versus a few years ago? The only place it is up is murder vs 2009, which everyone agrees was the anomoly (because it was so low). The trend, however, continues to be a decline in crime.
no disrespect, but i find it funny how you are saying the bronx is getting better when we haven't even hit summer yet. Once we hit june 21 or the 28 thats when hell breaks lose. When high school kids in gangs, that aren't in school can run the streets all times of the day. Trust me i use to be that type of kid. Summers back in brooklyn over in east flat hearing gun shoots nightly and hearing about people getting robbed everyday was a summer average.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:57 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N130 View Post
Lol I don't see how that would be fun. My second visit to Bushwick I saw someone getting chased through the street at night. I noticed that that part of Brooklyn is just....O_O lol.

I heard East Flatbush is supposed to be bad but it never gave me that B'ville/ENY vibe, then again that's like NYC's worst, I tend to base things off that for some reason. I've never been in the actual heart of the South Bronx, just Soundview/Castle Hill and it felt regular. Harlem is way too variable to make an honest opinion. And Southside Jamaica doesn't really feel like a NYC "hood" [I hate that word], it feels like it belongs further down I-95.
East Flatbush is pretty bad....it just doesn't "look" bad because its mostly houses, not apartment buildings. There's NYCHA (Glenwood Houses) at the border of East Flatbush/Canarsie, but they're acutally one of the safest NYCHA in Brooklyn, I would say one of the more safer large NYCHA complexes in the city. But there's a heavy gang presence in East Flatbush, and a lot of clubs in the neighborhood that unfortunately shootouts happen at a lot of them at time of closing. I won't be caught dead in an West Indian club in Brooklyn, sorry. Too dangerous. And I am of West Indian heritage.

East Flatbush is 67 Precinct BTW

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-26-2011, 06:05 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Yeah lol , after I came back the first thing I did was look up where I was. But now I cant find it but I think it was there.

I guess I was expecting to be in the middle of a shootout, or see someone sticking needles in them, etc because that is the rep that Brownsville has garnered. So when nothing of note happened, I was kinda let down.
If you walked through the projects you more than likely would have seen something. But I don't recommend you to do that. There's enough videos on Youtube about with people from Brownsville in them shooting their guns in the air and fighting their dogs.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-27-2011, 06:38 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
BKVillian...we know over the past 15 years the crime trends, they go up oftentimes in summer and holidays, but overall the trend is decidedly downward. So although crime may, as usual, go up in summer, it does not matter, because the larger trend, and the trend for the entire year, is clearly down.

So what's your point?

Old 04-27-2011, 07:10 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,221 times
My father owned a grocery store on the corner of Soundview and Lafayette right in front of the projects. Boy, we were in business for less than 2 years and we sold it to a group of Yemenis investors. The business was profitable but that type of business is not for the faint of heart. The neighborhood had great people but damn the crime in terms of theft was so bad. Not a day went by where I didn't have at least one incident. One funny memorable moment was when a kid stole a juice and tried to run out of the store. He pushed the door instead pulling it, and due to the momentum slammed his head into the glass. I scolded him and told him to get out. He came back with his dad a few weeks later. It seemed the the father knew....he had this smirk on this face as I stared at his son who kept his eyes to the floor. What bugged me was that the father made no effort to scold him or come up to me and apologize for his son's actions. I mean it would've went a long way. The age of those who committed crime shocked me as well it varied from the very young to the very old. I had an incident where an old lady was stuffing olive oil (I am an idiot for bringing in Bertolli's in a ****ty neighborhood) up her skirt. The stories are non stop even had a case of Murder in front of the store. Glad I left....I mean I had a great time with the women who thought because I was the son of the owner I must be loaded. I milked it and had a great time while it lasted.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:28 AM

Mistertee....none of that surprises me. However you would be surprised to know that it happens everywhere....Wynona Ryder, Lindsey Lohan etc....the wealthiest people, to the poorest...everywhere you go. People oftentimes simply suck.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:08 PM

383 posts, read 1,316,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
BKVillian...we know over the past 15 years the crime trends, they go up oftentimes in summer and holidays, but overall the trend is decidedly downward. So although crime may, as usual, go up in summer, it does not matter, because the larger trend, and the trend for the entire year, is clearly down.

So what's your point?
Its like this, you guys are goin by stastics, i'm goin by the streets, and most of those stastics are coming from NYPDs, which we all know lie to me there quote. So when you say crime is going down its hard for me to believe. If you aren't on the streets like i am, then you can't say nothing. For example on Flatbush ave and 35th they tried to "gentrifie" the area, but adding a Target, foot locker and a few other stores. Its been a year now, and the foot locker closes by night fall due to the many robberies, the target is doin poorly due to the same fate as the foot locker people just rob the place, even heard rumor's that the target is either moving its location or closing.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:22 PM

Well herein lies the problem: Everyone has a different, and subjective view of what is happening "in the streets." For example, if you ask a poor teenage black kid living in the projects, who is always around drug dealers and the negative element, what he thinks about crime? He will no doubt say it is a war zone and it is worse than it has ever been. You will die if you go outside.

Now if you ask a wealthier person in Riverdale about crime, they will say the city has never been safer, life is good, and there is little to worry about. So what's the answer? Well there is no right answer, as everyone has a different perspective, which is why we can't just go by "my opinion based on the streets"...it's ALWAYS skewed one way or another. And although we know crime stats are fudged, it is the only thing we have.

I think people's opinions and feelings matter, but they are too often skewed and just wrong. If you want to hang out with the homeys/drug dealers/thugs....guess what your opinion will be about crime in NYC? Is that an accurate assessment of crime for the average NYer? No...and that's the bottom line.

You tend to speak of "I heard this and that" with no actual facts...just rumors...and if that's how you are assessing crime in NYC...it explains why you believe it is much worse than it actually is.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:41 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
@ sobroguy I definitely agree to that post... but at the same time, it works both ways... Our opinion is just as credible as the next guy's and unfortunate @ bkvillian all we have are the stats that the NYPD gives us. And while I do agree with you that those stats can't be trusted blindly, trust me when I tell you that being 18 circa 2011 is much better than being 18 circa anywhere between 1975-1995...

It's definitely true that NYC has a long way to go and there are still many hot spots especially the perennial bad neighborhoods like East NY, Brownsville and certain parts of the Bronx which I do feel can contend with any of the worst hoods in the country if it were simply those specific neighborhoods... that being said, Manhattan is paradise compared to what it was... Back then, there were no legit nice working to middle class neighborhoods... they all had their fair share of crime...

Nowadays, while crime still continues to happen in the hood at a much higher than normal pace, the rest of the city is generally safe to walk the streets at all times and that is something that could not be said 20 years ago...

Old 04-27-2011, 04:00 PM

Well said Anon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.