Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 10:28 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,635,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
We have street cleaning and it really isnt that terrible. Monday's and Tuesday's. Sunday make sure your car is on the Tuesday side, Monday look for Monday parking. Depends on how much you are home. 8:30 to 10 is ours. There is 11 am parking too on some streets. Or pay the 200 something for a parking garage.

It's not like you are constantly moving your car and having problems. But it depends on the area. The more houses the better, they usually have more spots out front. The Co-ops tend to be worse because they really have a lot of people that need spots.
So the way it works basically-you anticipate which side is gon be cleaned on a given day and NOT forget to park on the opposite side prior, and you keep switching it up like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 10:33 AM

594 posts, read 1,634,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
Or instead of asking over and over and over again, you could 1. Drive the route during that time to get first hand knowledge 2. Put in the info during that time on Google maps. It shows how long it takes with traffic roughly.

Better then asking the same question in every area of this site.
I'm currently living in Santiago, Chile, so let me hop in the hoopty and roll down there right quick. You want something from 7/11 while I'm out?

I didn't know you could do that with Google maps. I'll see how it works.

EDIT: I tried plugging it into Google maps and it won't let me do it, it automatically defaults to going through the tunnel which is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Even trying to drag the destination pin over the bridge and down 2nd avenue doesn't work because it forces it to go through the tunnel even with "Avoid Tolls" checked.

EDIT 2: Ok got it figured out now, it would be 29 minutes via the Queensboro Bridge and 18 minutes via 278/Williamsburg Bridge, but how do I make it so that it shows it for a certain time like you said?

Last edited by RC1981; 04-06-2012 at 10:41 AM..

Old 04-06-2012, 10:34 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,635,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
I'm currently living in Santiago, Chile, so let me hop in the hoopty and roll down there right quick. You want something from 7/11 while I'm out?

O yea, Google Maps just recently added that feature I think. I didn't see it before. I don't how accurate it is though.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:43 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
Quote:

EDIT: I tried plugging it into Google maps and it won't let me do it, it automatically defaults to going through the tunnel which is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Even trying to drag the destination pin over the bridge and down 2nd avenue doesn't work because it forces it to go through the tunnel even with "Avoid Tolls" checked.

EDIT 2: Ok got it figured out now, it would be 29 minutes via the Queensboro Bridge and 18 minutes via 278/Williamsburg Bridge, but how do I make it so that it shows it for a certain time like you said?
From Rego park to Soho on a weekday it might take you about 40 mins if you travel during rush hour. That's about the same time it might take by subway.

Question, for you;

Where are you gonna park in Soho?

Parking around that area is $15 a day and up. Are you ok with that?

Old 04-06-2012, 10:44 AM

93 posts, read 194,357 times
Some of queens is wack its all about the big bad bx.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
From Rego park to Soho on a weekday it might take you about 40 mins if you travel during rush hour. That's about the same time it might take by subway.

Question, for you;

Where are you gonna park in Soho?

Parking around that area is $15 a day and up. Are you ok with that?
Employer would comp it.

I just figured since my car is only worth about 3k or so there's no point in selling it, I might as well just bring it with me and have the added convenience if I wanted it.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Employer would comp it.

I just figured since my car is only worth about 3k or so there's no point in selling it, I might as well just bring it with me and have the added convenience if I wanted it.
I also have a car, but I'll ya. Driving in Manhattan is a royal pain in the a55. Lots of traffic, reckeless taxi drivers, careless predestrians, fine-issuing cameras everywhere and plenty of potholes that can ruin your suspension.
I personally avoid going through it whenever possible. So I would def. recommend against it.
Where's your car now? in the U.S or Chile?

Old 04-06-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I also have a car, but I'll ya. Driving in Manhattan is a royal pain in the a55. Lots of traffic, reckeless taxi drivers, careless predestrians, fine-issuing cameras everywhere and plenty of potholes that can ruin your suspension.
I personally avoid going through it whenever possible. So I would def. recommend against it.
Where's your car now? in the U.S or Chile?
It's garaged in the US.

I don't think I would ever really drive into Manhattan on a regular basis anyway, it's just nice to have more options. I was moreso thinking about using it to get out to the country or something, or if I buy something that I don't want to lug home on the subway it would be easier than paying for a cab...it's just nice to have it just in case.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
It's garaged in the US.

I don't think I would ever really drive into Manhattan on a regular basis anyway, it's just nice to have more options. I was moreso thinking about using it to get out to the country or something, or if I buy something that I don't want to lug home on the subway it would be easier than paying for a cab...it's just nice to have it just in case.
Since you said your company would pay for your parking in Manhattan why not find a garage around Rego Park and park it there for when you need it. That way you won't have a to deal with street parking.

btw, you're the first guy I know of, that works for a company that's willing to pay its employee for parking.
must be a good gig.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Since you said your company would pay for your parking in Manhattan why not find a garage around Rego Park and park it there for when you need it. That way you won't have a to deal with street parking.

btw, you're the first guy I know of, that works for a company that's willing to pay its employee for parking.
must be a good gig.
Well they said they "validate" it, so it's not like they're paying me the amount in a reimbursement check or anything lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City