Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2011, 06:35 AM

37,661 posts, read 46,099,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I think it's interesting how many people seem to classify gay people as being a whole other type of being - like they aren't human beings but some sort of different creature.
I suppose some people do feel that way, but if you are making an assumption that anyone that would NOT want to have a gay roommate, feels as you have described, then you are making an incorrect assumption.

Quote:
Gay people are just people. Straight people are just people.
Of course. However there is a very basic core of their being, their sexual preference, that is 180 degrees reversed from those of us that are straight. For me, that is too much difference to make good roomies.

Quote:
I have many gay friends of both genders.
As do I. Even a niece and nephew, whom I love dearly. That has NOTHING to do with this.

Quote:
I would think that most people would want a roommate who is responsible, respectful, and easy to get along with. Sexual orientation, race, religion - all those things shouldn't really matter if they have the traits that I just mentioned.
C O M P A T I B I L I T Y. That is key. And for many, different sexual preferences isn't a compatible trait. Pretty simple.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:34 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,341,681 times
I'm simply not comfortable with roommates.

If we aren't in a relationship I don't want to see you in my house everyday.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:44 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,881,940 times
A human being is a human being... no matter what their sexual preferences are. If you need a room mate and you are compatible and agree on living arrangements, why not have a roommate that is gay or lesbian. I suppose I would not need a posting and comments to decide what to do.. it is a non-issue with me and if the OP questions that... it might not be a good fit for them. or maybe just curious on how others see it?.. don't worry about reactions from others.. one thing about getting older, you really don't care about what others think ... makes decissions much easier LOL

Old 12-06-2011, 08:00 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,700,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Most men wouldn't rape anyone. Personally, I wouldn't be comofortable sharing a room with guy who could be attracted to me. It's sort of like how women aren't comfortable sharing a room with a guy. How many women do you think would be comfortable sharing a dressing room, or public restrooms with men? Same rule applies.
What makes you think your gay roommate would even be attracted to you? Just because you're a guy and he's gay?

Everyone has their preferences/standards. Gay people don't just crush on the first guy they see.

Last edited by Cindy_Jole; 12-06-2011 at 09:01 AM..

Old 12-06-2011, 08:15 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,765,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Lamplight

Possibly, but ask yourself this, do straight men go after women who neither want or are attracted to them? All the time right? If so, why would a guy who simply prefers males be any different? I would expect a gay guy who's attracted to me to be as aggressive as a straight guy would be towards a woman.

Yes! lol Guys go after women they have no chance with all the time.

I don't know about it being about someone's mental health, but again-- I think men go after women they haven't got a shot with all the time. THey may not be as persistent in every case, but they certainly take a shot in a lot of instances. And many if not most men size up and feel out the opportunity before they decide to go after it.

Because I don't think it's a simple as it being a lack of "attraction" but moreso the reason behind it. You may have zero attraction to a certain type of woman for a very specific reason whereas you have zero attraction for men simply because they are men. There is something that could be different about the woman to make her more attractive to you whereas there is nothing that a man could do to make you attracted to him. I don't see it as the same thing.

And here's a quick question--would you be ok with having a best male friend who was gay?
I take it that you have gay men hitting on you all the time then? So having a gay roommate would just be more of the same?

Old 12-06-2011, 08:26 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,198,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I suppose some people do feel that way, but if you are making an assumption that anyone that would NOT want to have a gay roommate, feels as you have described, then you are making an incorrect assumption.

Of course. However there is a very basic core of their being, their sexual preference, that is 180 degrees reversed from those of us that are straight. For me, that is too much difference to make good roomies.

As do I. Even a niece and nephew, whom I love dearly. That has NOTHING to do with this.

C O M P A T I B I L I T Y. That is key. And for many, different sexual preferences isn't a compatible trait. Pretty simple.
You and I just see things differently. I don't see sexual orientation as having anything to do with being compatible with someone as a friend or as a roommate. You seem to see sexual orientation as some huge thing that makes people so different from each other - I don't. My gay friends and I talk about love and life in the same way that my straight friends and I do. But again - that's just me. We just see things differently.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:31 AM

399 posts, read 975,357 times
Quote:
Aren't you the same woman who said you wouldn't allow any gay men around your children and started a thread right here on City Data accusing your brother's partner of wanting to molest your kid because he offered to babysit?

But do go on and keep telling us how you're not a homophobe.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:35 AM

399 posts, read 975,357 times
Quote:
So, anyone that does not find gay sexuality to be appealing, is a "homophobe", huh? Right. Grip yourself.
I'm trying to come up with a response to this that won't be deleted by a moderator and it's just not working. Maybe somebody who's a bit more patient with stupidity can help me out.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:51 AM

6,456 posts, read 7,019,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I take it that you have gay men hitting on you all the time then? So having a gay roommate would just be more of the same?
All the time? No, probably because I don't hang out in areas that a lot of gays congregate. However Lower Manhattan is pretty much "intergrated" so you come across people of all types regardless of where you are.

As for roomates, not only would I be worried about him being attrtacted to me, but I also wouldn't be fond of him bringing over "lovers" and my witnessing them holding hands, kissing, in the bed together etc. It's not something that I would be voluntarily willing to expose myself to.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:02 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,501,527 times
I would not want a gay male roomate. A lesbian that looks like Portia De Rossi. No problem. And no, I'm not a homophobe. I just dont like them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships