Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 06:55 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone else dreads mothers day. I feel so guilty, but I do not have a great relationship with my mum who is turning 90 in May. I will go and celebrate it and bring my boys also ; she lives in Ireland. She is also in great health, drives and plays bridge and walks daily and lives alone.

But I guess I resent those who have great relationships with their mums and wish I did, but I don't and never will. She did have a hard life, but made it clear to all 5 of us that she was doing us a favor raising us and not dropping us off to an orphanage like my uncle told her to do when my dad left. Then she focused on the older 2, and left the younger 3 to raise each other. There is 5 years between us all and I am the youngest and lives the furthest away. There is a lot of bad history and things that she has done that I do not understand.

i do respect her, and see her when I go to Ireland and used to stay with her however the last two times I stayed with my mother in law as she is alone and has dementia and has nobody come to stay. My mum has my siblings who live close and check on her daily.

But I am so glad that I have a good relationship with my boys, we can laugh, be silly and be honest with each other. They know I love them and praise them and am so glad for the things they have done so far. I hate coming up to mothers day as many others are spending it with their mums who care, love and are interested in their lives and their grandchildren's lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 09:32 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
My Mom is deceased so I dread it for that.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:36 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
A lot of people had bad mothers, Dorothy. Concentrate on the fact that your relationship with your own children is so good. Also, be thankful that you can show them the country of their mother's birth - it's part of their heritage. Make it educational and fun.

I will be ignoring my own mother, as will my siblings - so maybe yours is not as bad as that. In either situation, concentrate on your own kids.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:41 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
I don't hate it, it's just a day. I'm not terribly fond of May all together, since I have my mother's, DH's and two brothers birthdays falling within 2 weeks, and this year have to add in 2 college graduations for our own boys. Mother's Day really doesn't get much attention around here, and that's fine by me.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:26 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,690,327 times
Yes, my mom makes every year pretty miserable. I'll probably get a nasty text from her.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:31 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
Yes, my mom makes every year pretty miserable. I'll probably get a nasty text from her.
Why does she send you a nasty text? I thought mother's day was for people to send their mom a card or flowers or take her to dinner or thank her --- I didn't know moms sent out texts at all for that day.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:40 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
My mom went from being selfish 20 years ago to down right evil towards my wife 10 years ago. When I called her out on a rather viscous attack on Mrs5150, she said "have a nice life". I suppose she expected me to cave in. Well that didn't work. It felt good that I no longer had to deal with her. When she died three years ago I did not cry for the loss. I felt sad for all she had thrown away. Relationships for what? Pride?

I rejoice in what I have, not what I lack. I do have to admit my mom was not as bad as what the OP says of his. Mother's Day is for my wife who bore our two kids.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:43 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,714 times
I have mixed feelings about it, like I do most holidays. I'm a mom myself and have always felt a lot of pressure from my MIL and my own mom to satisfy their needs for the holiday.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:36 AM

867 posts, read 1,588,512 times
holidays can be rough, especially because of family relationships.

I agree with what someone else posted, that at least you can take your kids to Ireland and show them their heritage. You have that at least.

hope it works out

Old 04-17-2014, 05:12 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
My only problem with Mother's Day was finding a card that began, "Dear Sir:"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships