Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2016, 07:25 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
This whole story isn't adding up.

You married an AA man and JUST NOW it occurred to you that these conversations would be coming up? Didn't occur to you you'd be talking about history, people, role models etc.

It's not like there's a SHORTAGE of dark skinned women in culture. Even the winner of RuPauls' Drag Race is a dark skinned queen.

Who carried the USA flag in the Olympic closing ceremony???

First of all, after 14 years your aunt suddenly realizes one daughter is darker skinned - blurts it out - and she starts "favoritism"?

Doesn't even make sense.

And NO, she wasn't "born in another time" LOL. She was born in your mother's time - the hippie generation. And let's be clear, the African American community is just as guilty of this crap as your aunt. Have you had the "good hair" discussion yet? It's even a THING that some people are attracted to dark or light skin people chemistry wise. I'm even surprised you say they never heard that before. It's even on shows like HOUSE HUNTERS LOL where a couple are buying a house and they talk about their dating history. "I wasn't her type she likes tall light skin men and I'm a short fat dark skinned guy but I hung in there."

I just saw that last WEEK on that show.

So the entire conversation you and your parents had with your aunt was THAT? Nobody told her they expected an apology?

She totally accepted your husband but not an 11 year old girl? LOL.

You're saying there's FAVORITISM not just a rude comment about skin color.

And BTW why are they spending so many weekends with a 60 year old woman that isn't even their grandmother?

I fully expect after seeing your 2 day posting history that somehow Donald Trump will enter this situation.

BTW I don't see where you tried to even EXPLAIN it to your daughters. The OBVIOUS thing would have been to say "See, in your aunt's time growing up people were mean to darker skinned people from the days of slavery - and it's not just white people in America but all races and cultures all over the world who used to have this bias. She wasn't thinking when she said that. And even now some people like darker skinned or lighter skinned in the dating world just like some people prefer blondes or redheads."

You keep saying colorism but don't know how to discuss that?

Now as far as your "favoritism" claim, sorry, not buying that.

And it's not RACISM.

Hell, the topic even has it's own Wiki entry.

The woman could have dementia or even a brain tumor. Tell the girls that. AND tell the aunt.

Errr.... yep, it's racism. Sorry to inform you, but it is. You consider features indigenous to another race inferior. And the OP is white - perhaps she does not KNOW how to discuss this with her daughters? Her husband, no offense to the OP, chose a white woman, so perhaps he isn't qualified to speak of it either. But that's my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portland222 View Post
It did happen. And my aunt acted indignantly.

I'm sorry you had to go through what you did as a child. With how you have described it, it seems as if you don't suffer from having a complex about your skin tone as a child. If you don't mind me asking - how were you able to get past those feelings?
I got past those feelings by having darker skinned female role models. I also realized that men (non-racist men) like attractive women, period. If someone rejects me due to the color of my skin - well, he never had a shot right?

Are your daughters exposed to black people? And I don't mean bi-racial - I mean black. Perhaps from your husband's side of the family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 07:38 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Since aunt is so casual about this, it seems perhaps you never really knew her. Big families are likely to harbor more dysfunction - more personalities all entwined. Its nice to say one has a big close knit family and everything is wonderful but usually that is not the case.

Your mother should have the most insight as to how her sister really thinks. I doubt this is the first time she ever did or said something "off".

Old 08-24-2016, 08:10 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Love the sinner, not the sin. This is a teachable moment and you are in a position to show a tremendous life lesson to your daughters.
This is no better than saying it's ok for a child to be around a child molester as long as everybody in the family makes nice about it.

It's about time women (and men) stood up for their children and stop being afraid of "what the family will think". It's because of that very thing that my uncle got away with molesting me.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:13 AM

88,616 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
LOL, this post here is something else. The way some people can misconstrue and stretch and read into things is fascinating on some level.
It's an Internet phenomenon.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
This is no better than saying it's ok for a child to be around a child molester as long as everybody in the family makes nice about it.

It's about time women (and men) stood up for their children and stop being afraid of "what the family will think". It's because of that very thing that my uncle got away with molesting me.

Amen, convextech. Wrong is wrong. And I am sick of the "But it's FAMILY!" rationalization. Family members can do evil things.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:05 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,954,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Amen, convextech. Wrong is wrong. And I am sick of the "But it's FAMILY!" rationalization. Family members can do evil things.
Where has anyone said that what the auntie did was acceptable?

Old 08-24-2016, 09:13 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,966,310 times
It's about race because the aunt stated she grew up in a different era. Forgive but don't forget. Your aunt said what she felt and you don't want to isolate your daughters from other family members and functions if you don't have to.

Myself with me being able to be as petty as the next person would say something negative to the aunt and then when she gets an attitude I would just say now you see the hurt now just consider how a child would feel.

That being said I'm sorry to say the world is changing but there are some who still think the old ways. It may be time to have a race talk with your daughters to thicken up their skin to not dwell on the opinion of fools.

"What you think of me is not my reality"..Then just keep it moving.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:

By advocating that they 'work it out' and the kids maintain contact with her. Why? Because she is family, right?

That rationalization is used to cover up a lot of wrongs.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:41 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
Quote:
You are, by insinuating that forgiving the sinner will somehow make the OP and her family feel better.

People who turn the other cheek in situations like this are weak, and they are only teaching their children to be sheep.

It takes a strong parent to out a family member when they've hurt a child. Thank God the OP is one of them.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:47 AM

404 posts, read 385,903 times
This happens sometimes in my family. It's usually older people. (ignorance from slavery...)

I remind them that God made all skin colors and ALL are equally beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships