Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2017, 07:31 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,583,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamppy View Post
Well, there was also the 6 hour drive, the preparation for the musical performance (we always have a talent show), and the long conversations with SIL....so, yeah.....still tired.

Are you saying that you drive 6 hours to and from the dinner in addition to doing all the cooking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 07:34 PM

136 posts, read 80,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Are you saying that you drive 6 hours to and from the dinner in addition to doing all the cooking?
Haha.....yeah, that's what I get for choosing to live so far from home. But it's better than living nearby.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:45 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
... the preparation for the musical performance (we always have a talent show)
OMG

Well, Lamppy, I think this :

Quote:
But, mom is reluctant to give up the traditions...(she inherited this dinner from her MIL)...
... is a huge hurdle to overcome. This event means a whole lot to your mom because of a family dynamic that existed probably before you were even born.

Nevertheless, I agree with the others who had great suggestions about how to transition this into something more manageable. Let mom keep the turkey etc, but delegate someone else to do a Sign-Up Genius list for everything else.

Good luck! And start resting up for next year!!

What in the world do y'all do for Christmas?

Old 11-27-2017, 07:48 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,330,160 times
Lamppy

I agree its about time everybody else started pitching in. I wouldn't be shy about telling them. I will give the cousins the benefit of the doubt and say nobody asked them to chip in. Polite people would have volunteered but that's beside the point. Now they know. So theres no excuse.

How about setting up a web site or a FB page that everybody can log into. Lamppy Family Holiday Shindigs. You could list a tentative menu now to be finalized by say September. People could sign up for food ,clean up, prep, etc.

I'm sure you and your SIL know just how much and what kind of food it takes to feed this crowd. I wouldn't assign the whole amount of anything to one person. If it takes say four pans of stuffing then assign four people to make one pan each. That way if somebody doesn't show up you still have three pans. Likewise if one pan is inedible.

Mom could still do the turkey and gravy. Since Mom wants her recipes she could list them and other people could volunteer to make them. There could be a contest and Mom could give out ribbons and trophies to the best ones. Tell Mom that this is a way to preserve these "family" recipes so they always stay in the family. Mom inherited these traditions from her MIL. Its time to pass them on.

https://www.crownawards.com/Turkey.S....html?cgid=T23
https://www.crownawards.com/2%22_Tha...ICORWBST%22%7D

The site would also be a good place to start compiling a family cook book. I'm sure your Mom isn't the only elder with recipes to share.

EDIT
I missed the 6 hour part. Holy Crap. If you drive that far and still cook so can the rest of the crowd.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:50 PM

136 posts, read 80,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
OMG

Well, Lamppy, I think this :

... is a huge hurdle to overcome. This event means a whole lot to your mom because of a family dynamic that existed probably before you were even born.

Nevertheless, I agree with the others who had great suggestions about how to transition this into something more manageable. Let mom keep the turkey etc, but delegate someone else to do a Sign-Up Genius list for everything else.

Good luck! And start resting up for next year!!

What in the world do y'all do for Christmas?
Thanks Birdie Belle! At this point, I'm not thinking about Christmas.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:51 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,583,267 times
Quote:
Haha.....yeah, that's what I get for choosing to live so far from home. But it's better than living nearby.

Well if all else fails, I guess you could suddenly have car trouble or pneumonia or some other problem on TG morning next year.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:30 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Under normal circumstances I would put my foot down, but your mom only has so many Thanksgivings left.

You CAN put your foot down with your men, and tell them you need help so you can enjoy the holidays too.

DH could never figure out why I was adamant on shopping early, being super organized and starting 2 days in advance. It is so I can enjoy the dinner with everyone else.

If I've done it correctly, when they arrive, all I am doing is making sure everything goes in and out of the oven at the right times and temps.

Take a look at what your making and see what you can do days in advance.

I think 2 days out I had the stuffing done (ready to be cooked), the white sauce for string bean casserole was done, potatoes were cooked and ready to be mashed... stuff like that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-27-2017, 08:46 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
I'm the OP. I called mom today and told her that my sister-in-law (main chef) just can't do it anymore. We rely on SIL because of her catering background, but she has lost her enjoyment of large events. I told mom that I am STILL exhausted from the Thursday dinner, and mom admits she is also still tired and had 2 naps today before 9:00 am. I asked her what we can do differently and she said "maybe we can make the potatoes a day early." What SIL and I want to do is a completely different menu, one where everyone brings a dish. Sure...it would be a smorgasbord and no turkey with stuffing, but what's wrong with that? It's about the conversation, isn't it? Especially at our age. But, mom is reluctant to give up the traditions...(she inherited this dinner from her MIL), and she scoffs at her friends who go to a restaurant for Thanksgiving. I'm afraid my SIL is going to have a melt-down, especially since my sister and other SIL are of little help. I'm beginning to realize how stubborn and controlling my mother is....but in the nicest "little old lady" way.
I don't see why you can't still do turkey yourselves and have everyone else bring a side dish. Less work for you, mom still gets turkey.

Quote:
Well, there was also the 6 hour drive, the preparation for the musical performance (we always have a talent show), and the long conversations with SIL....so, yeah.....still tired.
O.M.G.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:24 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,515,443 times
Mom isn’t going to choose any solution other than the status quo while it’s still available to her.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:50 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,750,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I would be really, really ticked if, at a once-a-year dinner with my cousins whom I dearly love and almost never get to see, I had to do 90% of the cooking and cleaning up and didn't even get to talk to my cousins and catch up.

Really.
But really why would you even want to talk with people are such ungrateful takers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships