Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2017, 05:30 PM

18,134 posts, read 15,709,192 times

Advertisements

The advice is great, but the OP has already gotten the vapors just imagining saying "no" or "let's do something different" to her mother. She's not going to change a thing because she's allowed herself to be a doormat for a controlling mother. And controlling people will use anything they can to stay in control--guilt, threats, silent treatment, shaming, hysteria. It works because a controller can't control without volunteer victims, and this 81 yr old momma has several to boss around.

We're talking about adult women with families of their own who are seething in resentment over being 'forced' into doing mother's bidding and not getting to spend time with their extended family during a big holiday.

OP, until you learn how to say a nice version of "no" and stick to it, you will ultimately continue this dance for the rest of your mother's life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 05:31 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 14 days ago)

35,648 posts, read 18,006,664 times
Hmmm. I'm not completely understanding the logistics here.

It seems if you rent a hall to serve the dinner, you'd bring the food cooked and it would just need to be warmed? Like, you can get those disposable aluminum storage platters and bring the food ready to warm in the oven? Between those and a few large crockpots to warm and serve things like sweet potatoes and green bean casserole, etc., this doesn't seem like there would be a lot of on-site work. Then at the end you can pack back up your empty crock pots, throw away the aluminum serving trays (or transport your leftovers back home in them). It seems you could get those nice heavy clear plastic plates that are disposable, and bring nice metal cutlery that you toss back in a plastic bin to put in the dishwasher at home.

I do get what you're saying, though. My sister and I ran a family reunion for 60+ people every year for about 10 years and no one would offer to take it over, so we just stopped holding it and now we do something fun with just our branch, about 25 people. There were definitely people who would come and eat every year and do nothing at all to help out, and in fact not even acknowledge us necessarily. Buh bye.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:52 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,226,044 times
This is one of the husbands. Many of us are very busy setting up tables, chairs, place settings, bringing out food, helping out in the kitchen. We aren't just sitting around watching the women work! Out of town cousins OTH...not so much!!

Old 11-27-2017, 05:58 PM

136 posts, read 80,779 times
I'm the OP. I called mom today and told her that my sister-in-law (main chef) just can't do it anymore. We rely on SIL because of her catering background, but she has lost her enjoyment of large events. I told mom that I am STILL exhausted from the Thursday dinner, and mom admits she is also still tired and had 2 naps today before 9:00 am. I asked her what we can do differently and she said "maybe we can make the potatoes a day early." What SIL and I want to do is a completely different menu, one where everyone brings a dish. Sure...it would be a smorgasbord and no turkey with stuffing, but what's wrong with that? It's about the conversation, isn't it? Especially at our age. But, mom is reluctant to give up the traditions...(she inherited this dinner from her MIL), and she scoffs at her friends who go to a restaurant for Thanksgiving. I'm afraid my SIL is going to have a melt-down, especially since my sister and other SIL are of little help. I'm beginning to realize how stubborn and controlling my mother is....but in the nicest "little old lady" way.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:03 PM

130,527 posts, read 12,143,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamppy View Post
I'm the OP. I called mom today and told her that my sister-in-law (main chef) just can't do it anymore. We rely on SIL because of her catering background, but she has lost her enjoyment of large events. I told mom that I am STILL exhausted from the Thursday dinner, and mom admits she is also still tired and had 2 naps today before 9:00 am. I asked her what we can do differently and she said "maybe we can make the potatoes a day early." What SIL and I want to do is a completely different menu, one where everyone brings a dish. Sure...it would be a smorgasbord and no turkey with stuffing, but what's wrong with that? It's about the conversation, isn't it? Especially at our age. But, mom is reluctant to give up the traditions...(she inherited this dinner from her MIL), and she scoffs at her friends who go to a restaurant for Thanksgiving. I'm afraid my SIL is going to have a melt-down, especially since my sister and other SIL are of little help. I'm beginning to realize how stubborn and controlling my mother is....but in the nicest "little old lady" way.
She can't do it, unless you allow her to do so. Tell her that next year it is a pot luck & every single attendee/family is to bring a dish. Someone will have to be in charge of the pot luck lists, if she is emailing you recipes, maybe she can do that, & don't let the out of town cousins freeload anymore either.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:08 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 14 days ago)

35,648 posts, read 18,006,664 times
Quote:
Lamppy, this is Monday night. Are you truly still exhausted from last Thursday where you had to serve a meal to 60ish people?

I suspect you aren't still tired. I'm guessing it's still on your mind, and you're still frustrated.

I posted upthread about an easier way to do this. There is no reason to give up on traditional food -Thanksgiving food is pretty easy to prepare ahead, and cheap, and easy to transport and would do well reheated.

Best wishes.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:12 PM

18,134 posts, read 15,709,192 times
Quote:
But, mom is reluctant to give up the traditions...(she inherited this dinner from her MIL), and she scoffs at her friends who go to a restaurant for Thanksgiving. I'm afraid my SIL is going to have a melt-down, especially since my sister and other SIL are of little help. I'm beginning to realize how stubborn and controlling my mother is....but in the nicest "little old lady" way.

There's a saying that applies quite well in this situation: "there are no victims, just volunteers."

Until each of you find your spine and use it to stand up and say "no more," nothing will ever really change.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:19 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,689,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
She can't do it, unless you allow her to do so. Tell her that next year it is a pot luck & every single attendee/family is to bring a dish. Someone will have to be in charge of the pot luck lists, if she is emailing you recipes, maybe she can do that, & don't let the out of town cousins freeload anymore either.
I think the mom just needs to be taken out of the equation. If she is given the authority to email people recipes, she’s just going to foist the responsibility on someone else and make them miserable. If it’s pot luck, people should be able to bring what they like and/or bring something that they can cook and cook well in larger quantities. Why does it need to be a traditional menu? I think part of the whole point of this thread is that it is time for the traditions to change and the new generations to come in and incorporate dishes they like, which might include dishes that are non-traditional or more innovative takes on the classics. There is nothing wrong with that if it’s just one dish out of many.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:45 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,066,361 times
Quote:

If your mom said "maybe we can make the potatoes a day early" that is no solution to the real problem and it demonstrates that she's losing her grip on the reality of the situation and it's too much for her to deal with. It's time for the rest of the family to step up and take charge of how these big family dinners are going to go down so that everyone contributes and everyone gets enjoyment from it.

A suggestion for you. You don't have to go without the turkey and stuffing and it would be sad if you did because the turkey and stuffing (and gravy) is always the shining high-light of any thanksgiving meal. You said in an earlier post that "Mom makes the stuffing and turkey". It's her party and she wants to plan it her way and get accolades for it. So have her continue to provide only the turkey and stuffing (the jewel in the crown) while everybody else each brings a separate dish of the other accompanying foods. If everyone provides something different there will actually be more food than usual and you can plan an overall menu with a greater variety of foods for everyone to choose from, plus you'll have leftovers for people to take home after a fabulous feast done up smorgasbord style.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:48 PM

136 posts, read 80,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Lamppy, this is Monday night. Are you truly still exhausted from last Thursday where you had to serve a meal to 60ish people?

I suspect you aren't still tired. I'm guessing it's still on your mind, and you're still frustrated.

I posted upthread about an easier way to do this. There is no reason to give up on traditional food -Thanksgiving food is pretty easy to prepare ahead, and cheap, and easy to transport and would do well reheated.

Best wishes.
Well, there was also the 6 hour drive, the preparation for the musical performance (we always have a talent show), and the long conversations with SIL....so, yeah.....still tired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships