Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2018, 05:41 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times

Advertisements

I wonder why this organization doesn't seem as concerned about nomenclature as some who get their panits in a wad?

The mission of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) is to ensure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate race-based discrimination.

https://www.naacp.org/about-us/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 05:42 PM

4,414 posts, read 3,476,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Actually, at 61 you are closer to the middle of the Baby Boomer generation. Someone who is 54 or 55 is on the younger end of the Boomer generation, which officially encompasses the years 1946-1984.
Not 1984. I think you meant 1964.

So we tried to correct my Asian mother in law who refers to her people as Oriental — but she’s in her 90s and it’s hard to break habits. Plus I feel pretty stupid being a white chick telling an Asian how to refer to herself so I dropped it.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:47 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post

So we tried to correct my Asian mother in law who refers to her people as Oriental — but she’s in her 90s and it’s hard to break habits. Plus I feel pretty stupid being a white chick telling an Asian how to refer to herself so I dropped it.
Exactly. If she's Asian herself, and calls them Oriental, it's hard to find fault.

I don't get why "Oriental" is offensive, actually. It wasn't meant to be.

(Remembers an episode of King of the Hill, where a Laotian family moved into the neighborhood. In conversation, after hearing he was Laotian, one of the neighbors said uh huh, but are you Japanese, or Chinese?)

Old 10-17-2018, 05:55 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,109,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Oriental does mean from the orient as in to describe a specific geographical location or to describe a manufactured thing or artifact or jewel or other item that has its origin in the orient. But oriental is not a race and it's not acceptable as a noun, nor to describe a person or race of people. However, as we older baby boomers all know, it did get used as a reference to people or race at one time, right up until about 50 years ago..
Ah, I see. Thank you! I had seen the word “oriental” during my genealogy research & it did throw me waaay off base because I found a reference to “Ashkenazi Jews” but they also used the term “Oriental Jews” & it did confuse me (a lot).

Old 10-17-2018, 07:29 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,228,419 times
Being offended over words is a waste of energy. The words are not the problem. Its your reaction to the words, because of the ideas YOU have formed about the words.

I think that's one thing that people resent, is all this fake outrage over Political Correctness and all these "speech codes" designed to coddle everyone.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:14 PM

5,584 posts, read 6,514,131 times
Quote:

Rachel, is that you? LOL. Anyone get my reference? Hint: YouTube couple (Jun) with cats. Check them out.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:09 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,462,026 times
Quote:
I definitely did mean to type 1964. Those blasted numbers, not on my favorite QWERTY rows, so I hunt and peck up there. Sheesh. Big boo-boo. Thanks for catching it.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:12 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,462,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Rachel, is that you? LOL. Anyone get my reference? Hint: YouTube couple (Jun) with cats. Check them out.
Haku, Nagi and Poki! (Haku is my favorite). Yes!

Old 10-17-2018, 09:50 PM

1,299 posts, read 824,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Whoo hoo, you haven't been in the schools lately. The terminology can change very year.
Yes, I have. And no, it doesn't.

I worked in the public school system for a couple of decades, until a few years ago. Still have many family and friends involved very closely with schools. Nice try, though.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:17 AM

18,531 posts, read 18,765,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
When I was a kid, I remember that black people were called "Negroes" or "colored people", and then I remember reading that "black" was the preferred term, so that's what I always used. "Afro-American" was around for a while but never came into common use, and then "African-American" came into play later on.

Then "people of color" came into fashion, and I found it amusing that it was acceptable but "colored people" was not. It's just a rearrangement of the same words, but then again, "colored" was often used with the connotation of meaning "less than".

Language is interesting and changes constantly. If someone isn't paying attention, they could very well be unwittingly offensive.

In the end, it's easier just to say "people".
Isnt it just MQ...... Someone in high places sits there with not much to do and deems a certain word wrong and decides to change it forever, sitting there smug in the knowledge theyve changed the world.... when another word was doing no harm.....I think coloured was a nicer term than black, and not offensive , but who am I to say...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships