Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 07:46 PM

954 posts, read 4,378,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki View Post
Well, almost totally positive. I've yet to say anything positive about the Fayetteville or Goldsboro areas.
Yes, you got me there. But that brings up something else. Goldsboro and Fayetteville, military towns...
So, what do you have against the military??Maybe you're one of them closet liberals. Just kidding Niki.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2006, 07:47 PM

4 posts, read 6,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguy View Post
Would you take NC over La Jolla if cost was not in the picture? I think La Jolla is wow... too bad its $1 million for your starter home
Apples and oranges. I live in a small town now (well, Kernersville is about 18,000.) Most people who live here, have always lived here. When I lived in La Jolla it was very laid back, but nothing like here.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:27 PM

463 posts, read 1,651,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblu View Post
Apples and oranges. I live in a small town now (well, Kernersville is about 18,000.) Most people who live here, have always lived here. When I lived in La Jolla it was very laid back, but nothing like here.
Have you eaten at the Blue Napoli yet?

I had to move back to North Carolina to fall in love with Italian food Two brothers from Italy opened a restaurant in Oak Ridge - Elizabeth's. It's SO good. One of the brothers more recently opened the Blue Napoli in Kernersville.

Cassie

Old 08-23-2006, 12:36 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,272,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010 View Post
Yes, you got me there. But that brings up something else. Goldsboro and Fayetteville, military towns...
So, what do you have against the military??Maybe you're one of them closet liberals. Just kidding Niki.
lol Not a thing. My dad was in Viet Nam (Dust Off - medical helicopters), both grandpas were in WWII (one in the Army & one in the Navy), and I dated a GI. I also have family currently in the military. (Cousins & an uncle.)

Just why the powers that be don't do anything to make their towns look nice is beyond me. The potential is there, but they're doing little to nothing about it. They really need to clean up their towns and create more green space. Do something about run down and abandoned buildings. Knock 'em down and either get new businesses there or make a park (even if on the small side) there or something.

Anyway, must stop myself before I continue rambling.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki View Post
lol Not a thing. My dad was in Viet Nam (Dust Off - medical helicopters), both grandpas were in WWII (one in the Army & one in the Navy), and I dated a GI. I also have family currently in the military. (Cousins & an uncle.)

Just why the powers that be don't do anything to make their towns look nice is beyond me. The potential is there, but they're doing little to nothing about it. They really need to clean up their towns and create more green space. Do something about run down and abandoned buildings. Knock 'em down and either get new businesses there or make a park (even if on the small side) there or something.

Anyway, must stop myself before I continue rambling.

Just jerking your chain. I guess we are too busy rebuilding Iraq to work on Goldsboro or Fayetteville.
You know that this is nothing new though. Even in the Bible, the Island of Crete had such a bad reputation, largely because it was a military training ground. Brings in all the "young mens" lowest interests.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:03 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,473,726 times
I personally like hearing people that say they love NY dislike NC or think NC is overrated makes me feel even more like I'm making the right move.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:38 PM

5 posts, read 62,097 times
Folks,
to those of you who moved here and don't like our lifestyle......too bad...go! You have to be a neighbor to have a neighbor. We never rated ourselves...that was done by outsiders coming into the area who were tired of living in the "big city hustle and bustle". But....as more people come to the south...we will become just as unfriendly,busy and congested as the places you left. We were an area where neighbor helped neighbor....children were raised by the community and when you went to the store you knew your neighbor and their kids, etc.... But times are changin'. and possibly not for the better.
ah,.....the good old days!!

Old 08-23-2006, 02:19 PM

463 posts, read 1,651,686 times
For us it boils down to quality of life. There are some things you can't put a price tag on. Like living where the closest town looks like it's taken straight from a Norman Rockwell sketch. Where the people on the street smile and greet you and strike up a conversation. Where nobody rushes to steal the parking space that you've been patiently waiting for with your blinker on.

Where people don't dump their grocery carts all over the parking lot and leave them for everyone else to navigate around.

Where someone donates cherry trees to the town and volunteers turn out to plant them and keep them watered --consistently.

Where the gas station still has the "ding -ding- ding" like the one from your childhood. When you pull in it's all full service - including cleaning your windows and checking the air in your tires at no extra charge.

Like getting up at 7:15 in the morning to be at work by 8:00, instead of getting up at 5:00 a.m and dreading the gridlock and hoping that an accident doesn't shut down the highway and that no one is killed. Having time to spend with your loved ones and friends instead of always meaning to but putting it off because you're too exhausted and stressed.

Where neighbors are neighborly and look after you and you do the same.

Where you have the best of both worlds. We have friends from California, Arizona, New York, along with friends who were born and raised here and have lived here all of their lives.

Where the local winery (courtesy of a former Napa Valley-ite and his wife who is originally from Georgia) hosts a pot luck and open mike get-together every month. You're lulled by the dulcimer and watch the woman sitting next to you get tears in her eyes as the plaintive dulcimer strains engulf the room.

Where you've learned to love Italian food courtesy of a nearby restaurant whose owners are two brothers from Italy.

Where the bloom of spring azealeas takes your breath away because you'd forgotten the depth and variety of colors.

Cons-

It isn't any cheaper for us to live here and we downsized. The pay isn't great.

We passed on areas of the state where the pay is better because those are already a rat race, are only going to get worse, and I see those commutes that are now 45 minutes to an hour turning into the same kind of gridlock we dreaded.

The gov'ment. Locally and on a state level.

NC was and is as ill prepared for this influx of growth as northern VA was.

The lack of foresight and sound thinking in economic development.

Lack of adequate law enforcement. There isn't enough money to pay the numbers of Police Officers or Deputy Sherrifs that are needed.

I miss living in the foothills of the mountains.

At times I still miss our beautiful VA county but I miss it the way it used to be not the way it is today.

I really don't like snakes

Cassie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
In the past 5 to 10 years, I've notice a great number of people have moved to the U.S. South (particularly North Carolina) form other parts of the country and the world. I've wandered how people from these areas felt about there new area, and how it differs from where they are originally from.

Are you from another part of the country such as the Northeast, Midwest, or elsewhere in the U.S. or the world, and have relocated to the South? What area (e.g., city, town, or region) of the South do you live? Furthermore, how has life been for you here (again, in the South) compared to where you originally come from? Anything else?

Old 08-23-2006, 02:26 PM

Cassie

I think you a lot like my wife. She seems to be happy about anywhere we have ever lived. She seems to find a way to see things in a way that makes her happy.

Old 08-23-2006, 03:07 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,596,410 times
I have to say I'm glad the mods cut the bickering between myself and bundydad. I didn't know they could do that? I'm not being sarcastic by the way; I really am glad it's all gone now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina