Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2007, 12:42 PM

112 posts, read 258,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy222 View Post
However, I am saddened by the fact that you, Michelle71, think the way you do. I am planning on moving to the Charlotte area & I don't talk crap about the south. Please don't lop all 'transplants' into a group that has talked crap about the south because that just isn't true.

I do not think all transplants have done that. The thought does cross my mind initially but once I see for myself the person has respect for me and for NC I am fine with them. I have friends from all over so it isn’t like I refuse to have anything to do with people from other areas.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emy View Post
Wow, that's quite a bold statement.Are you sure that absolutely everyone thinks that? Isn't that a bit prejudiced to say that everyone but Southerners think that Southerners are racist?
Let me correct myself. A lot of people think that way.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:44 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle71 View Post
Everyone assumes we are all racist.
Assumptions and stereotypes form from appreciable amounts of people in a given area subscribing to certain philosophies such as bigotry and xenophobia.

Are you part of the solution or part of the problem?

There are two real races of people - those who follow trends and those who start them. If someone starts the *Why Can't We All Just Get Along* trend, would anyone follow?

Old 08-12-2007, 12:45 PM

3,295 posts, read 9,189,032 times
Quote:
How exactly do Southerners constantly have their heritage used against them?
USATODAY.com - The decline of Southern civilization

Granted that was in 2002, but that WASN'T that long ago. Liz

Old 08-12-2007, 12:48 PM
Emy

113 posts, read 409,077 times
Quote:
I do not think all transplants have done that. The thought does cross my mind initially but once I see for myself the person has respect for me and for NC I am fine with them. I have friends from all over so it isn’t like I refuse to have anything to do with people from other areas.
By acknowledging that you initially think all transplants "talk crap about the south", shows that you are very prejudiced initially to all transplants. So how does that make you any different from people that think"all Southerners are racist", which was one of your recent comments on thei thread?

Old 08-12-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
USATODAY.com - The decline of Southern civilization

Granted that was in 2002, but that WASN'T that long ago. Liz
Thanks! Great article!

Old 08-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Emy

113 posts, read 409,077 times
Quote:
Thanks! Great article!
Great article about fiction movies. Do you actually believe everything you see and hear on tv, in the movies or even better in the Enquirer? That would be just plain stupidity. The movies make NYers out to be mostly mobster types. They make West Coasters out to be mostly dumb blonde surfer types. Please if you get nothing more out of this don't believe what you see and hear from the media outlets.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:56 PM

3,295 posts, read 9,189,032 times
Quote:
Please don't lop all 'transplants' into a group that has talked crap about the south because that just isn't true.
When my husband and I moved to MI, we were okay with the move...the area was fine BUT, he wasn't happy at his job. And do you know why? Because no one would accept him. He was a "transplant". We stuck it out for 5 1/2 years and when they offered a buy out, we took it. He was the last one hired in and we knew lay off's were coming. If we hadn't taken the buy out, we would have been laid off.

And we tried to blend in up there...after all, we had done well in MO, in PA and other states outside our growing up comfort zone, why not another area? But they just would not give him a break. Our neighbors did tho. We loved them and hated to leave them.

That street goes BOTH ways. Liz

Old 08-12-2007, 12:58 PM

577 posts, read 1,902,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chedonna View Post
a continuing debate, from many many posts on this forum, I want to point out that the state is called North Carolina, so maybe we can all get along?
I have noticed you like to start this type topic. First off the north In north Carolina is in reference to the northern half of the southern located Carolinas. Also any state that is being pounded with people from outside moving in has some type of animosity from the issue,not just NC. If the whole world were to move to your backyard you would have some ill feelings about it. The whole Southerners hating Northerners thing is really just a cover of the fear of people taking away the QOL that we Tar heels have made out of our state. It is a normal feeling and it is happening in all the growing areas. And just to let you know some of the biggest complaints are coming from other northerns not wanting any more people comming to where they moved this is fact. So if you think that you cant handle a very few people being unhappy about outsiders moving in you should reconsider moving to a boom state.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:59 PM

39 posts, read 152,173 times
Quote:
I am glad to hear that Michelle71. That makes a lot more sense. I'm glad you brought that word up-respect-love in plain clothes! That's all I would ask for is a chance to be known without labels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina