Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 06:05 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,322,830 times

Advertisements

This will obviously be brought to the Supreme Court and the North Carolina government will more than likely be sued. Regardless of whether you agree with the unisex restrooms in Charlotte, this bill allows any business in North Carolina to discriminate against any LGBT person, which has been proven unconstitutional before. For a state that looks like it will once again return to blue for the next election, it is our responsibility to protect all North Carolinian's rights since our governor apparently no longer feels the need to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 06:32 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,831,196 times
It's official. McCrory signed the bill. It passed the Senate with a 32-0 vote. All of the Democratic senators walked out in protest before the vote.

McCrory signs bill barring LGBT protections against discrimination :: WRAL.com

Old 03-24-2016, 08:11 AM

875 posts, read 1,162,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post

People have a right to relieve themselves.
I must have missed that part of the Bill of Rights. For the sake of argument let's say you are correct. The person should relieve themselves in the location that matches the plumbing they were born with.

If some random guy goes into a women's restroom and starts creeping he can be punished. The Charlotte ordinance made those activities implicitly acceptable. Any guy could claim they "identify as female" and hang out in the women's bathroom all day. Is that okay with you?

Also, in what universe are the following thoughts or policies discriminatory:

-NC citizens born with male body parts should use the men's restroom.

-NC citizens born with female body parts should use the women's restroom.

Now if you'll excuse me I've decided to sexually identify as an airplane and I'm going to run around the tarmac at RDU.

Last edited by netbrad; 03-24-2016 at 08:20 AM..

Old 03-24-2016, 08:58 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,495,737 times
Taking netbrad's thinking one step farther, perhaps leaving a big, stinking pile of you-know-what on the desks of the General Assembly members who voted for this crap would seem to be an appropriate response! Oh, and don't forget ...Governor Sh*t-for-Brains deserves a big bag as well!

Last edited by TheEmissary; 03-24-2016 at 09:06 AM..

Old 03-24-2016, 09:00 AM

545 posts, read 595,053 times
This whole issue is completely ludicrous! On both the state and the local level. Charlotte first of all should have started with opening up facilities at city own venues (from City Hall to the Arena) and that includes privately owned venues that received public monies (Bank of America stadium) and then gradually over the years extend to private companies (which probably most would have changed their accommodations on their own).

The state on the one hand is just being their typical knee jerk reaction to a few vocal opponents claiming protection of women and children in restrooms.....not realizing there are already laws on the books to protect against such danger.

Maybe in the future that someone would invent a chromosome detector that would only allow you to enter the designated facility based on the chromosomes you have!!

Old 03-24-2016, 09:19 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,495,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancenc View Post
This whole issue is completely ludicrous! On both the state and the local level. Charlotte first of all should have started with opening up facilities at city own venues (from City Hall to the Arena) and that includes privately owned venues that received public monies (Bank of America stadium) and then gradually over the years extend to private companies (which probably most would have changed their accommodations on their own).

The state on the one hand is just being their typical knee jerk reaction to a few vocal opponents claiming protection of women and children in restrooms.....not realizing there are already laws on the books to protect against such danger.

Maybe in the future that someone would invent a chromosome detector that would only allow you to enter the designated facility based on the chromosomes you have!!
I just wonder how many states and municipalities already have bathroom rules similar to what Charlotte had enacted. Obviously by now, problems (if any) would have been documented and could have been reviewed by the General Assembly. But they prefer to exhibit as little thinking as usual, to reach what they think is a "profound decision", that will bite them in the end. I hope they've put extra money in the state rainy day fund to pay for the lawsuits!

Old 03-24-2016, 09:25 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
I must have missed that part of the Bill of Rights. For the sake of argument let's say you are correct. The person should relieve themselves in the location that matches the plumbing they were born with.

If some random guy goes into a women's restroom and starts creeping he can be punished. The Charlotte ordinance made those activities implicitly acceptable. Any guy could claim they "identify as female" and hang out in the women's bathroom all day. Is that okay with you?

Also, in what universe are the following thoughts or policies discriminatory:

-NC citizens born with male body parts should use the men's restroom.

-NC citizens born with female body parts should use the women's restroom.

Now if you'll excuse me I've decided to sexually identify as an airplane and I'm going to run around the tarmac at RDU.
The Charlotte law could have been worded better. They also should have phased in the ordinance for non-governmental establishments. The parties covered by this ordinance have been using the rest rooms as stated in the law for decades. I'm aware that I have been in ladies rooms with them for over 40 years with no incidents. None, zero, zip, nada. There are laws, should some pervert go into a ladies room to ogle, peer, or expose themselves for their own gratification. That was not made illegal by Charlotte.

If you don't think that these individuals have a right to relieve themselves, tell me what they're supposed to do. Never leave home without a Depends?

Old 03-24-2016, 09:55 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,968,698 times
How sad. Indy Week in Raleigh probably summed it up best with their headline "North Carolina Now Officially a National Embarrassment." The religious extremists have craftily turned a non-discrimination bill that has passed in other cities into the "bathroom bill" to scare the beejebers out of people. It's part of their plan and they've done it before. North Carolina may have two northern cities, but outside of there, it's still the south.

875 posts, read 1,162,934 times
Quote:
The Charlotte law could have been worded better. They also should have phased in the ordinance for non-governmental establishments. The parties covered by this ordinance have been using the rest rooms as stated in the law for decades. I'm aware that I have been in ladies rooms with them for over 40 years with no incidents. None, zero, zip, nada. There are laws, should some pervert go into a ladies room to ogle, peer, or expose themselves for their own gratification. That was not made illegal by Charlotte.
Under the Charlotte ordinance, if a man goes into a woman's restroom he merely has to say "I identify as a woman" to receive the discrimination protection. He doesn't even have to do anything, he can just be there. At a minimum it was a get out of jail free card.

Quote:
If you don't think that these individuals have a right to relieve themselves, tell me what they're supposed to do. Never leave home without a Depends?
I didn't say they couldn't "go", I said it wasn't a protected right under the Constitution. They should go to the bathroom that matches their biological plumbing, not their mental view of themselves.

43,310 posts, read 77,154,614 times
I foresee new construction with only non-gender, personal, and private single restrooms. More expensive, for sure, but also a resolution for the slighted folks targeted by this and the panicked superstitious citizen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina