Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 07:21 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times

Advertisements

Lets don't forget the old saying..."Born an American but a SOUTHERNER by the grace of GOD".

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2006, 08:57 PM

483 posts, read 1,567,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie1014
Thanks for all the feedback. When we were with our real estate agent last month in Greensboro, she laughed at the we said some things and she told us we would have to get used to saying "y'all", instead of "use guys", LOL. I think she got a kick most out the "fuhgetabout it". And we find ourselves joking around now about the y'all thing. We had a lot of fun in Greensboro and went to a couple of great bars/restaurants and met the nicest people, I was just getting a little worried that it all seemed to good to be true. I live in the most snobbish Long Island town right now, and I can't wait to get away from it all, just didn't want to leave the snobs to get made fun of everyday!!! but then again, I would much rather have some good ole fashion ribbing than this
And which snobbish town might that be? I too am from Long Island (suffolk County area) and I have my share of dealing with snobs, but I don't think twice about giving them a taste of their own medicine. In my opinion, you'll run into snobs in a lot of places, not just Long Island, but there are a lot where I live.

Old 07-23-2006, 08:59 PM

483 posts, read 1,567,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR
I think its all in how you treat others. My mom used to say "treat others as you would have them treat you". If you are friendly and open and don't keep saying "well, in NY we did it this way"...you'll have no trouble!!! Vicki
Thats exactly what my mom always says. Give people the same respect they give you. Unfortunatley at my job, people who are executives think that they are so much better than us 'little people'. It boggles my mind to think that they can talk down to people.

Old 07-23-2006, 09:03 PM

152 posts, read 476,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdj43
And which snobbish town might that be? I too am from Long Island (suffolk County area) and I have my share of dealing with snobs, but I don't think twice about giving them a taste of their own medicine. In my opinion, you'll run into snobs in a lot of places, not just Long Island, but there are a lot where I live.
South Bellmore cannot wait to get out of here

Old 05-16-2007, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,147 times
yeah, I just moved to Charlotte from Buffalo... ders a pretty big change! I have to get used to all this new slang... "soda" is pop i just found out.. which is strange cause what do u call the ice cream then? Anyway... I'm having a few issues with people making fun of my accent and stuff but thats just because im still in high school! the people are normally nice in charlotte because about 3/4 of the people in my neighborhood are from jersey

Old 05-16-2007, 08:21 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,690,072 times
Nah, we just like to keep the "Yankees" on their toes with their best behavior down here. So started a rumour to play nice or go else where.

You will be fine. Just have respect for others anywhere you go in the world, and and for the most you will have the same right back at ya,

Good Luck with your move!

Old 05-16-2007, 08:21 PM

3,295 posts, read 9,188,072 times
Quote:
"soda" is pop i just found out
When we first moved to MI from the south, I ran into that. When my daughter started using the term "pop" for a soft drink (known as a coke where *I* grew up regardless of WHO made it or what color it was), I told her the only POP in our house was MY grandfather.

She still learned to call soft drinks "pop" and now has issues where she ended up. She moved back to AL near my in-laws.

But if you are friendly and treat people with respect, they will usually return the favor, regardless of where you hailed from originally. Liz (A GRITS)

Old 05-16-2007, 08:22 PM

73 posts, read 82,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie1014 View Post
Are we in for a surprise when we go? Do NC people really dislike us Yankees??
Do you want the PC answer or the honest answer?

Old 05-16-2007, 08:24 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,690,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Lets don't forget the old saying..."Born an American but a SOUTHERNER by the grace of GOD".

Vicki
Girl, you have me crying with laughter here!

Old 05-16-2007, 08:46 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,518,485 times
interesting. I am not from CLT but am from NC and we never called it pop. Times are a changing I tell ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina