Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 12:17 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,046 times

Advertisements

"heading west" is great advice for those that don't like the area. i'm taking that advice next September
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 07:28 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,516,614 times
I really hope folks don't head to DC v2.0 (Bay Area, LA) or an area where "if you get laid off you have to move" or an area where "I'll pay you 1/2 what you're making in DC because the cost of living is so low!"

I have family, friends, and a life here. I just don't feel alienated/hating things the way others do.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:16 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,154,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
I really hope folks don't head to DC v2.0 (Bay Area, LA) or an area where "if you get laid off you have to move" or an area where "I'll pay you 1/2 what you're making in DC because the cost of living is so low!"
Why do you hope that? I moved to an area with lower cost of living, and yes, my salary is lower than it was in DC. As is my commute time, my stress level, and probably my blood pressure.

People should choose to live in a location that meets their individual or family needs. What someone else thinks really is irrelevant to such a personal decision.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:42 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
"heading west" is great advice for those that don't like the area. i'm taking that advice next September
I took the advice 3 1/2 months ago. Don't regret it at all. Though I have to admit I didn't hate DC, I just found it quite dull.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:46 PM

141 posts, read 279,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I took the advice 3 1/2 months ago. Don't regret it at all. Though I have to admit I didn't hate DC, I just found it quite dull.
What do you do for a living?

Old 02-06-2013, 07:07 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,516,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Why do you hope that? I moved to an area with lower cost of living, and yes, my salary is lower than it was in DC. As is my commute time, my stress level, and probably my blood pressure.

People should choose to live in a location that meets their individual or family needs. What someone else thinks really is irrelevant to such a personal decision.
I hope they don't do those things.

I hope they don't have to come back here because they find the other place has its warts, too. Because then they'll be even more miserable.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:09 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,491,104 times
hey just be thankful you can move freely anywhere in America, there are lots and lots of people in other countries who would love to move to America but can't because of this whole immigration thing

Old 02-06-2013, 08:19 AM

248 posts, read 700,964 times
Areas with a low cost of living usually have one major disadvantage: the lack of gainful employment opportunities. That and along with being sick of my hometown brought me here.

The problem is if you get laid off in a cheap area, you will have a really hard time finding a similar paying job without moving. Some people in my hometown elected to take a lower paying job instead, which works too since it's so cheap to live there.

This is probably why it feels like there is more of a negative environment in my hometown vs here as there is far more unemployment and underemployment there. I also know unemployment is one of the leading causes of depression.

Of course, the above does not apply to people in the medical field (nurses, doctors, etc...) as every one I know who became a nurse or doctor was able to stay in the area.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:30 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Yea I remember you talking about heading west. Glad you are liking it out there

Old 02-06-2013, 09:40 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,562,321 times
I grew up in Fairfax and lived in a Townhouse in Leesburg, before selling at the exact right time in early 2006. We made a huge profit on that place in only two years and within the next two years that place lost half it's value.

We have lived in Raleigh, NC since 2006 now and we're getting ready to move into our brand new 3,000 sq. ft. house in Apex, NC (Raleigh suburb) in a couple months. For $325k we got an awesome home with all the upgrades and we both have an 18 mile commute to work. The awesome thing is that 18 mile commute only takes 20 minutes, maybe up to 30 if traffic was really "bad"...lol. Now I won't say there isn't or won't be more growing pains here as the Raleigh area has grown substantially over the last decade. Apex itself now has 40,000 people within the town limits, where it had less than 5,000 in 1990, but I just feel this area has everything NoVA has to offer, minus the really hectic lifestyle. Of course to the natives here they say the same thing about people moving in and this place becoming another NoVA and how bad traffic is, etc, etc. I honestly just think they have no clue! The great thing about Raleigh/Durham is that they have lots of decent employers and the median household income of Apex/Cary is actually about the same as Fairfax County. The real Estate is just cheaper, allowing you many more options for your lifestyle.

My family still lives in Fairfax and I'll always call Northern VA home, but I don't see how at this point I could ever move back. I still think NoVA is a great place to live and work, but the traffic and lifestyle is just crazy. Hopefully I won't be saying the same thing about Raleigh in 20 years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: