Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 02:11 PM

660 posts, read 1,705,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post

I'm aware I'm the "bogeyman" of this sub-forum. It's not a title I wear valiantly, but it's one I'm WILLING to have bestowed upon me if others can have the opportunity to see that NoVA isn't only "peaches and cream."
I can't speak for others on this forum, but my main issue with your posts is not that you criticize Northern Virginia. There's a lot to criticize, and I think all but the craziest NoVA-backers on this forum would agree with that statement. I support many of your criticisms, including most of the transportation/infrastructure/planning ones, and it's good to realize that alongside all of the accolades this area gets, there are problems.

The issue is that you tend to make sweeping generalizations about the area when you haven't been here that long. Supposedly it takes one to two years to really figure out if a place is a good fit for you, whether that is a job or a metropolitan area. You have been here six months, and by month two you were telling everyone on this forum what was wrong with NoVA and what mistakes we (or our predecessors) made 20-30 years ago. Nobody takes kindly to newcomers coming in and "enlightening" the locals about how they've screwed up, whether in Ecuador, Buffalo, or Northern Virginia.

For an example, Denton56 and I support different political parties, have very different priorities for the hs that both of us are affiliated with, and probably don't see eye to eye on most of the issues facing Northern Virginia (including the relative merits of your comments). But we feel similarly about your tone.

I've intended for this post to be constructive criticism, and I apologize if it comes across as more critical than constructive (and maybe it should be in a PM). But my "take away" point, if you will, is that sometimes it's not what you say so much as how you say it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 02:37 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
I left Pittsburgh, I go back to visit but I would NOT move back there. It's got it's good points but I've decided it's not for me. I think Scran needs to realize that he will not find Utopia no matter where he lives, he's young and doesn't listen to us seasoned folks (who actually warned him about Reston). Bottom line: you can talk until blue in the face but if someone isn't willing to listen, give it up. Eventually, everyone will realize that life includes compromises, life is not like a movie.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:45 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
On the other hand, Scran's been talking about Pittsburgh for quite some time now. If you're longing to give Pittsburgh a try, I say go for it. Sure, moving is expensive and you might need to make a few sacrifices. But if you're really that unhappy it seems worthwhile to me to check out a new town rather than sitting around in a perpetual stew. Maybe you'll get lucky, and even if you don't and you find out the next town isn't any better than DC, well so what? You're only 22, you don't have any dependents, so if things don't go well you'll have a much easier time bouncing back than a lot of others would.

Sometimes the best way to realize how good we have it here in Nova is to try living someplace else.

I'd think carefully before trying out these towns, however. The 10 Hardest Cities In Which To Find A Job

Old 11-08-2009, 06:15 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
On the other hand, Scran's been talking about Pittsburgh for quite some time now. If you're longing to give Pittsburgh a try, I say go for it. Sure, moving is expensive and you might need to make a few sacrifices. But if you're really that unhappy it seems worthwhile to me to check out a new town rather than sitting around in a perpetual stew. Maybe you'll get lucky, and even if you don't and you find out the next town isn't any better than DC, well so what? You're only 22, you don't have any dependents, so if things don't go well you'll have a much easier time bouncing back than a lot of others would.

Sometimes the best way to realize how good we have it here in Nova is to try living someplace else.

I'd think carefully before trying out these towns, however. The 10 Hardest Cities In Which To Find A Job
They could of at least used a better photo for Louisville.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:23 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,605,097 times
Scranbarre -- I lived in Roanoke for close to ten years in my 20s-30s. Beautiful area, good people, but you run out of things to do, especially as a young singleton.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I left Pittsburgh, I go back to visit but I would NOT move back there. It's got it's good points but I've decided it's not for me. I think Scran needs to realize that he will not find Utopia no matter where he lives, he's young and doesn't listen to us seasoned folks (who actually warned him about Reston). Bottom line: you can talk until blue in the face but if someone isn't willing to listen, give it up. Eventually, everyone will realize that life includes compromises, life is not like a movie.
I think ScranBarre knows d well there is no Utopia (give us young guys SOME credit). I think he's found something pretty close in Pittsburgh and that's all any of us can ask for.

Funny, I don't remember ya'll giving him any warning about Reston. As I remember ya'll were cheering him on down to Northern Virginia with the usual "NoVA is the best thing since sliced bread" feeling of this forum.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:28 PM

631 posts, read 1,290,816 times
i loved it when i lived up there!

Old 11-08-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I think ScranBarre knows d well there is no Utopia (give us young guys SOME credit). I think he's found something pretty close in Pittsburgh and that's all any of us can ask for.

Funny, I don't remember ya'll giving him any warning about Reston. As I remember ya'll were cheering him on down to Northern Virginia with the usual "NoVA is the best thing since sliced bread" feeling of this forum.
It took me less than five minutes to find one I wrote. There were a few others, but I don't really want to spend time scrolling throug the archives. Plus, one example makes the point, IMO. This was written for the thread called "I Got The Job."

Quote:
There are plenty of gays in the NOVA burbs, but I'm not sure you'd consider them like-minded. Most of the gay couples I know are into surburban living and spend their weekends puttering around in the garden.

As for living in the Stratford, I don't know that property in particular. But having known you for a few years, and knowing this area in general, I have a feeling you would not be happy out in the suburbs. Even Reston would probably not be urban enough for you (although you would probably love all the walking trails. You can walk anywhere.)

Speaking about walking trails, I wouldn't look for a place in Herndon, even though it's near your job. Being one of the older parts of town, you might hate the paucity of sidewalks. (Although I think you are going to really like the W&OD.)

I usually tell people to live as close to work as possible, but in your case I'll make an exception. You might want to try to find a place closer to DC. Ballston, maybe. Maybe the best idea would be to get a short term rental near your job for a few months, with the plan to move closer to the city once you figure out which areas appeal the most.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
It took me less than five minutes to find one I wrote. There were a few others, but I don't really want to spend time scrolling throug the archives. Plus, one example makes the point, IMO. This was written for the post called "I Got The Job."
Okay, point taken. That's doesn't change the fact that there is some seriously misleading advertising about Northern Virginia going on in this forum.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Okay, point taken. That's doesn't change the fact that there is some seriously misleading advertising about Northern Virginia going on in this forum.
I don't think that's a fact at all. IMO, what you consider to be "seriously misleading advertising" is just opinions from people who have had experiences that are different from yours.

I think most of the opinions you read on this forum are honest. Seriously, what would be the point of lying?

If anything I'd be tempted to lie about hating it here. That would be a lie that would benefit me, in fact I can see quite a few possible benefits from not having more people move here. I can see the temptation hatching in my brain... if I tell people I hate it here, that might mean less cars on the road! Bwahahaha!

But I go ahead and tell people I love it here because sanity returns and I realize what I say doesn't carry any weight anyway. Let's be real, people are going to move here no matter what I say.

So I might as well be honest... fact is, I'm a fan of life in Nova. Like fans everywhere I like talking about things that I love. Which is why I like participating in this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia